+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cold sores :-(

I have always been prone to really bad cold sores and over the past years I've been on Valacicouvir originally I was still getting out brakes every few months or stressful situation however I haven't had 1 now for over 8mths so now I'm rather concerned as to what I'll do if I do get one as it's them very badly with my son. So far hit 3 mths pregnant with out an issue until today when my lip started to tingle. What does everyone else do for there's? I never found any of the creams to work and had a rather nasty discolouration from the patches. Any things else you do besides these? Learning today you can't take lysine has me down :-(
    Last edited by 2ndchancesuprise; 15-04-2016 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cold sores I use tea tree oil. And use a tea tree oil based cood sore cream. For me that usually makes it go away in a week max and keeps it really small.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (14-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one at the moment and I use garlic. I cut a garlic clove and rub the cut side in the area it will sting but I do it twice a day or more and if you do it as soon as you feel the tingling/soreness of one you will not get the scab looking part.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra103 For This Useful Post:

2ndchancesuprise  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i was pregnant with ds a lady at the chemist told me to constantly apply lip balm to it and dont let it dry out. I started doing this as soon as i felt the first tingle and it actually worked. I just bought a little tub of lip balm that i applied with a cotton bud

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchancesuprise View Post
    I have always been prone to really bad cold sores and over the past years I've been on Valacicouvir originally I was still getting out brakes every few months or stressful situation however I haven't had 1 now for over 8mths so now I'm rather concerned as to what I'll do if I do get one as it's them very badly with my son. So far hit 3 mths with out an issue until today when my lip started to tingle. What does everyone else do for there's? I never found any of the creams to work and had a rather nasty discolouration from the patches. Any things else you do besides these? Learning today you can't take lysine has me down :-(
    Why can't you take lysine?

I do a range of things but busting the blisters and applying a betadine based cold sore cream works best for me.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Why can't you take Llysine?
    I start taking a high dose as soon as I feel a tingle and applying antiviral cold sore cream like there's no tomorrow. Usually the bulk Llysine does the job if I catch it early enough.
    Have one atm that snuck up on me (run down and stressed so should've known) and its starting to blister 😁 hopefully won't get too bad.
    I was told today to dab apple cider vinegar on it but haven't tried it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replys lady's :-)
    Lots of useful stuff to try.
    After the first trimester it's unsafe to take lysine as it can cause issues to the baby (there's not enough research to rule it out as safe and better to eat more of the foods)
    I basically walked up to the chemist with a handful of everything I have ever used before the tablets and she put everything back but then gave me zinc and vitamin c to take dayily while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really surprised to hear that lysine isn't recommended, it's not even a drug :-/

Anyway, I've also heard that fresh ginger is good - stick a slice on top and cover with a bandaid. Not so good if you want to leave the house though

Or chlorinated water is good at killing them instantly, can you go for a swim? (Herpes isn't spread through water btw so don't need to worry about that)
    Once the blister starts to dry I lather on the pawpaw balm and keep it covered with that.

Much sympathy, cold sores suck! I used to get them constantly and was worried about how I'd manage to keep them away from a baby (because baby = no sleep = cold sore), but they've weirdly dropped off in the last couple of years. My only guess is that my greatly improved pregnancy & breastfeeding diet (compared to poor uni student diet!) is making me healthier overall and that's helping. So keep up the fresh fruits and vegies! (Which I'm sure you're doing already, but just in case)