+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I hate ultrasounds

Anyone who has been through a late term loss got any magical tips or tricks to make ultrasounds not the most horrific experience imaginable? About to head to the hospital where I learnt my daughter had died to have my 20 week scan.

I should be excited to see them and confirm my gut feeling that my son is getting a little brother. I am not excited. I am scared, nauseous, wishing I didn't have to go, regretting telling my son he could come, worried there will be no heartbeat, worried that I will feel nothing for this baby even if everything is going well. As messed up as it sounds, right now I just feel like I would prefer my daughter back to this baby. God I hope they don't keep me waiting, I just want it over with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can only imagine the stress you must be feeling, I know after a early miscarriage I had all these feelings throughout my entire next pregnancy so it must be so much harder after what you went through. I couldn't focus on anything baby related until I had my baby in my arms, and I think it was harder to immediately bond with her. I have no helpful advice but wanted to send you some hugs and love your way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to give you a big hug xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun, firstly i just wanted to say that i have read through your journey as i am going through something similar to you in experiencing a late term loss. I want you to know that you are extremely brave.
    When its time to go in to the ultrasound, take a deep breath and if you feel like you need to cry, then cry. I am learning as i go that sometimes the harder you try to keep it in, the worse it is. I really have no other advice other than offering a ear and a shoulder should you need one. Stay strong hun x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've not had a late term loss so I hope you don't mind my reply but I understand the fear of ultrasounds. I've had 2 mmc picked up at what was suppose to be routine check ups (1st picked up at nt scan, 2nd picked up at a 10wk scan). I even had 1 sonographer tell me with one of the early scans with ds that "you've seen a hb so all should be fine here" well no lady, my 2 angels had perfect hb's with earlier scans so it meant nothing to me.

I can't share any advice, I was always a blubbering mess waiting for scans and the days prior. Sending huge hugs, I hope everything is perfect with your bub xx

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (14-04-2016),Tainted  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I hate ultrasounds

We lost our first son at 39 weeks, and I'm now 10wks pregnant with our 4th. I like ultrasounds because I feel a bit calmer afterwards for a few days, knowing there was a heartbeat. But starting days before the ultrasound I get very paranoid. I go between trying to remain positive and trying to prepare myself that this baby may have died too. I did it for my 2nd & 3rd pregnancies too. Terrified beforehand & I normally try to tell the ultrasound person that I'd like them to tell me there is a heartbeat as soon as they spot it. I've even been known to close my eyes until I know baby is ok. I enjoy it once I know they are ok.

I think it's pretty normal, but that doesn't make it any easier on us. Hope you can get through your next scan ok.

Thinking of you

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrswhitehouse For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Big hugs @Tainted. How did you go? Been thinking of you today

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey @Tainted, congrats on getting to 20 weeks. I'm 37 weeks now with my rainbow and still not banking on anything working out.

I hear you with the ultrasounds. I'm exactly the same. We lost DS2 after a disastrous morph scan so scans are a nightmare for me (and I've had one every month).

My advice would be not to take toddlers, to tell the sonographer your history as soon as you get in there and to distract yourself by asking heaps of questions while you're getting scanned. Then ask to see the doctor afterwards no matter what. I found the sleepless nights beforehand are best handled with Netflix and chocolate.

Then after the scan, take yourself out to cafe to congratulate yourself on getting to the stage you're at. No matter what happens later, no one can take that away from you.

As for your feelings regarding your previous baby, I struggle with that too. I just can't seem to unlink this pregnancy from the previous one. I feel guilty either way with that one.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Jenga  (21-04-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (14-04-2016),Tainted  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies x

We survived! Little man was right again, he is having a little brother this time. His record is now 2/2, I think I should start charging for his services.

So far things are looking good, though baby is not in the least bit cooperative and the sonographer didn't get half the shots she needed. We have another scan in 3 weeks so hopefully someone is feeling slightly less defiant and is willing to stay still.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (21-04-2016),Little Ted  (21-04-2016),Ngaiz  (21-04-2016),~Marigold~  (21-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so relieved to see your update hon. I had checked in to see if you had updated a few times. Glad all well with Bub.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Tainted  (24-04-2016)