+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Urgghhh...make an appt with another GP, tell them you would really like to get your iron studies done....and that your current GP is refusing.
    I always get low ferritin (iron stores) in pregnancy and have needed iron infusion (IV iron)...it's like a miracle for your energy levels!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post
    They're called Ferro-grad C
    Do not take more than 1. Take it in the morning.

My DH had very low iron and he only takes 1/2 as it is quite hard on your belly.

E.t.a. That brand of supplements are usually used if low iron is known.

I would have suggested possibly some liquid iron (like floridix) which is far gentler on the belly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    FYI I took ferro grad C during pregnancy if it doesn't constipate you it's not going to hurt to take for a few weeks. One a day. It takes ages for iron levels to increase though, at least a month. It stopped me from having low iron after birth (which I did previous pregnancy). I found it fine on stomach.

The iron increase is gradual so you wouldn't really notice a difference at this point. It may help with recovery though - get levels tested anyway (and keep taking the ferro grad, late pregnancy and birth will draw on your stores, even if you don't have low iron it will be lower in a few weeks). It would only be bad if your iron was already too high - highly unlikely in late pregnancy.

A vitamin B12 shot is the only thing I know that gives an instant energy boost but your doc probably won't give one unless blood test indicates you could use it. Worth asking though. Those things are amazing.

Other than that just try and accept this is how it is (sorry), it will be over it a few weeks and then hormones will help you stay awake for your newborn. Get as much help as possible, power nap when you can (20-30 min naps are more effective than 1 hour naps for energy). Stay away from sugar as you will get energy crashes. Eat more protein - it's energy giving. Heavy carbs can make you sleepy and sluggish. I feel much more awake after a breakfast of eggs than I do porridge. And drink buck loads of water - even though it means more toilet stops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I'm sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed op.

Do you mean that you havent had your iron checked since first trimester? And because you are shared care you will not be seeing the hospital mid/ob until 38 weeks? This really isn't good enough. It does sound like you are anemic. I don't want to concern you but I need to tell you that anemia can be much more serious then just making you feel exhausted. Amongst other things it increases your chance of bleeding after baby is born. It shouldn't be ignored. You have done the right thing to start some over the counter iron. It won't do any harm (except maybe constipated you) but I really think you need to be seen by your hospital much sooner then 38 weeks. Can you make an earlier appt? For The next week or so? Does your hospital have an assessment unit? They can see you now. The way you are feeling is not normal and I think you really need to be seen by someone who listens to your concerns.
    With regards to your home. Try to look at it in little pieces. I think its the enormity of the situation that is overwhelming. Babies don't need much. Food, sleep, love and just a little bit of space. Maybe just focus on organizing the room that bub will sleep in. Ignore the rest for now.
    Now is also the time to call in all your support people (except your mum. Ignore her!). People who love you will not judge you. Ask for help if you can.
    Good luck op. I hope you feel better soon. X
    I don't even think my doc checked my iron levels in my first trimester unless that's included with that Down's syndrome test as that's the only time I've had blood taken so far. I called the hospital today but they have no appointments for a few weeks and they didn't seem too concerned unless I start fainting or anything.

I know it's probably just wishful thinking and a complete fluke but after taking my iron tablet this morning I actually made it through the day without feeling completely drained and I'm still feeling nice and awake now, which actually will probably bite me in the butt tomorrow because I'm usually asleep by now but it's nice to not feel completely drained and to actually be able to keep my eyes open.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post
    I don't even think my doc checked my iron levels in my first trimester unless that's included with that Down's syndrome test as that's the only time I've had blood taken so far. I called the hospital today but they have no appointments for a few weeks and they didn't seem too concerned unless I start fainting or anything.
    This doesn't sound right at all op. Sorry but IMO you really need to be seen. Now. Within a week at least.
    Why are you doing shared care? I would stop and transfer over to standard hospital care immediately.

Your options are to call again. Tell them clearly that you are really concerned. Did you speak to a midwife or the ward clerk? Ask to speak to a midwife. If you can't get an appt then ask if they have an assessment clinic. This would be the place that you can attend without notice if you have concerns like bleeding or baby not moving. I personally would attend that clinic. If none of this results in you being seen and checked then your other option is to see another gp.
    Yes exhaustion can be normal in pregnancy but you have been pregnant before and you feel that something is not right. Any good care provider knows that a mothers instinct should be listened to in pregnancy. The fact that your gp has not listened to you saying that you are worried about this a number of times really isn't good enough.
    Rest up and take care op. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or your other option is to go back to your gp. Very clearly say "I need my iron checked. Please give me a form for an iron study blood test". Not a question just a clear communication that you aren't leaving until it's checked. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    This doesn't sound right at all op. Sorry but IMO you really need to be seen. Now. Within a week at least.
    Why are you doing shared care? I would stop and transfer over to standard hospital care immediately.

Your options are to call again. Tell them clearly that you are really concerned. Did you speak to a midwife or the ward clerk? Ask to speak to a midwife. If you can't get an appt then ask if they have an assessment clinic. This would be the place that you can attend without notice if you have concerns like bleeding or baby not moving. I personally would attend that clinic. If none of this results in you being seen and checked then your other option is to see another gp.
    Yes exhaustion can be normal in pregnancy but you have been pregnant before and you feel that something is not right. Any good care provider knows that a mothers instinct should be listened to in pregnancy. The fact that your gp has not listened to you saying that you are worried about this a number of times really isn't good enough.
    Rest up and take care op. Xxx
    Shared care is just standard here, I think the only alternative is to see my doctor exclusively and not have appointments at the hospital. My doctor is usually great, I've seen the same one through my previous pregnancies but this time she's just been really slack. I spoke to a midwife (I think). Other than the emergency room the place I'd go for bleed or Bub not moving would be the same place I go for my hospital appointments which still requires you to call in advance and talk to the midwife first which is what I did yesterday when they said to call back if I start fainting or have visual disturbances ect. I'll give my doctors a call today and see if I can get an appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh op that all seems a bit frustrating. I just hope you find a way to feel heard. If there is a reason for you feeling so tired I really hope it is fixed so you can enjoy these last few weeks before your family grows. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would make an appt with another Dr and explain the situation and ask to have your iron checked it's usually a standard thing in pregnancy. Totally does not sound normal. And if your iron is really low you would benefit more from an iron infusion which will increase stores rapidly. I'm having one this afternoon due to low ferritin and have been unable to tolerate the oral iron

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Berroca is my saviour but I do suffer from anemia sometimes and it doesn't help at all if I am anemic! I had an iron transfusion a while ago and it has helped heaps.