+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Suggestions for energy boost? 34 weeks exhaustion is getting the better of me =(

I have struggled with being sick and just generally drained all throughout this pregnancy so far but lately it has gotten much worse and I am completely exhausted and fall asleep where I stand sometimes. I have so much that I need to get done before Bub gets here and my house is at its all time worst. I also have 2 other children that I need to be able to look after and I am just struggling so much at the moment. I have tried sleeping more, sleeping less, taking naps, drinking coffee, taking walks / light exercise ... Nothing has helped. I've mentioned it to my doctor the last 3 appointments (one appointment I even started to fall asleep while she was taking my blood pressure) but she doesn't seem concerned about anything, she basically just put it down to being pregnant and having a very full on toddler and told me to just take naps when I can, try not to drive and take it easy. I haven't had my iron levels checked despite asking her several times because I thought that might have something to do with it. I wasn't even this exhausted after my other two children were born. Although I did have some help back then where as now I am pretty much doing everything on my own.

Do you think getting some over the counter iron tablets or something might help? Has anyone else had extreme exhaustion and found a solution?

I only have 8 weeks left (possibly less as both my others came early) and I still haven't even sorted out where I'm going to fit Bub (I have a fairly small house and need to declutter and shift stuff around to make us all fit) so because I haven't had the energy to do that I've barely gotten anything for Bub. Haven't even got her a bassinet yet as I currently have no where to put it.

I am really stressing out about how I am going to get everything done in time and the state of my house. I feel really bad because my daughter has been wanting to have her friend over but I am too ashamed of the state of the house to have anyone over.

Sorry for for the long post, I think I needed to vent a little as well as I haven't really admitted to anyone about how much I am struggling. Well other then my mum but she was never really on board with this pregnancy and always makes comments about how I shouldn't be having another baby if I can't keep up with everything now which usually I just brush off as its only since I've been pregnant that I've really struggled with things but lately it's been really getting to me and I feel like a failure as a mother and am starting to think she's right which makes me feel worse because I can't get excited for bubs arrival

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a vegetarian but I take a capsule called fefol which is iron and folate together. Can get it at most chemists. Might be worth a shot? I can't believe your doctor won't do the iron blood test.. The hospital actually ordered one for me last time and it came back that I was anemic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to ask the hospital to order me one at my next appointment since my doctor won't (I do shared care) but that's not for another 4 weeks.

Is it safe to take extra iron tablets even if it turns out that I'm not anaemic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post
    I was going to ask the hospital to order me one at my next appointment since my doctor won't (I do shared care) but that's not for another 4 weeks.

Is it safe to take extra iron tablets even if it turns out that I'm not anaemic?
    It is only for a short period of time and as long as you do not go overboard it should be fine.

I found that I was probably the most exhausted at 32-34 weeks and then it improved (more a week better then a week worse).

Keep eating well and keep hydrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went and got some iron tablets today. Does anyone know how long before I should start feeling an improvement if this exhaustion is due to low iron levels?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iron takes at least 3? Months for stores to go back up if it is lowm give it at least 2 weeks to a month I would say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much should I be taking? I forgot to ask at the chemist. It says on the bottle 1 tablet a day but I looked up the brand (as I do for everything before I start taking it) and most sites recommended 1 morning and night. However I read on another site that in 3rd trimester you need 30mg of iron but these tablets contain 105mg in each tablet so I'm a bit confused as even taking one seems a bit excessive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What iron supplements did you get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    What iron supplements did you get?
    They're called Ferro-grad C

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed op.

Do you mean that you havent had your iron checked since first trimester? And because you are shared care you will not be seeing the hospital mid/ob until 38 weeks? This really isn't good enough. It does sound like you are anemic. I don't want to concern you but I need to tell you that anemia can be much more serious then just making you feel exhausted. Amongst other things it increases your chance of bleeding after baby is born. It shouldn't be ignored. You have done the right thing to start some over the counter iron. It won't do any harm (except maybe constipated you) but I really think you need to be seen by your hospital much sooner then 38 weeks. Can you make an earlier appt? For The next week or so? Does your hospital have an assessment unit? They can see you now. The way you are feeling is not normal and I think you really need to be seen by someone who listens to your concerns.
    With regards to your home. Try to look at it in little pieces. I think its the enormity of the situation that is overwhelming. Babies don't need much. Food, sleep, love and just a little bit of space. Maybe just focus on organizing the room that bub will sleep in. Ignore the rest for now.
    Now is also the time to call in all your support people (except your mum. Ignore her!). People who love you will not judge you. Ask for help if you can.
    Good luck op. I hope you feel better soon. X