+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel sickness treatment for kids

My DS is 6 yrs old and suffers from bad motion sickness when we travel looking for recommendations for something we csn buy from the chemist he can take. I have tried the natural path of ginger and mint with no luck.
    I am after some treatments you have found successful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use phenergan for my DD, it works well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we got bands for our daughter wrists call seabands i think it was. they apply pressure to the inside of the wrist. I think it helped her. She stopped complaining and looking green.
    I used the adult sized ones for myself to help with morning sicknedd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I get motion sickness on everything Kwells is what works for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would recommend "Travacalm Original", which is available over-the-counter at Pharmacies.

It is safe to take in children over 4 years old.

It contains dimenhydrinate, which is an anti-histamine, which is highly effective in the prevention of motion sickness. It contains hyoscine, which also very effective.

It contains a very small dose of caffeine, the purpose of which is to counteract the sedative side effects of the other two ingredients. However, it can still be sedating. Not a bad side effect when travelling, anyway!

It should be taken about 30 mins before travelling.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on a side note with travelcalm...I don't drink caffeinated drinks, but took some travelcalm on holiday because I don't tolerate being in the back seat well, or for long...so I took some for a long bus trip one day, then one the next day for a long taxi ride...the afternoon of day two I felt like my heart was racing (it wasn't), and on day three I was shaky and had a headache all day. It wasn't until day three that I realised day two was the caffeine in the travelcalm, and day three was caffeine withdrawals.
    Given how badly it affected me, I wouldn't give it to my kids. I'll be looking for something else for next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Just on a side note with travelcalm...I don't drink caffeinated drinks, but took some travelcalm on holiday because I don't tolerate being in the back seat well, or for long...so I took some for a long bus trip one day, then one the next day for a long taxi ride...the afternoon of day two I felt like my heart was racing (it wasn't), and on day three I was shaky and had a headache all day. It wasn't until day three that I realised day two was the caffeine in the travelcalm, and day three was caffeine withdrawals.
    Given how badly it affected me, I wouldn't give it to my kids. I'll be looking for something else for next time.
    Yes, but this anecdote is about your particular sensitivity to caffeine. The majority of people, including children over the age of 4, will not have a reaction as severe as the one you describe.

The dose of caffeine is tiny. Travacalm is a great travel-sickness medication, but without the caffeine it would be overly sedating.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I gave my slight 8 year old a quarter of a tablet of Travacalm last weekend on a long haul flight from the USA. It seemed successful, she had no side effects.

Phenergan sends my older daughter hanging from the nearest light fittings for a good 12 hours or so

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've used phenergan successfully for our kids when travelling long distances.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    I gave my slight 8 year old a quarter of a tablet of Travacalm last weekend on a long haul flight from the USA. It seemed successful, she had no side effects.

Phenergan sends my older daughter hanging from the nearest light fittings for a good 12 hours or so
    Yes. Don't use phenergan on a trip unless you know it doesn't make them wired.