+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think all students should receive the same individual funding for teaching and learning Catholic, private and state. However, I think that the funding of capital works should not occur in elite and on a sliding scale for independent/Catholic.
    I totally disagree. I think funding should be on a needs based, like Gonski. Most disadvantaged should get more funding to close the gap.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (13-04-2016),Ngaiz  (12-04-2016),smallpotatoes  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    As I have already said, I'm referring to elite schools not the little Catholic/Anglican ones. If they are means tested and charging as low as 1.5k then obviously parental fees aren't close to covering the costs to educate that child. I have zero issue with the govt coffers topping that up.

I agree with Sonya. It shouldn't and doesn't cost 30-40k (parent fees and govt subsidies together) to educate one child. And we know pools and concert halls don't improve performance. Why should taxes help fund that stuff?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I totally disagree. I think funding should be on a needs based, like Gonski. Most disadvantaged should get more funding to close the gap.
    I agree. And for those that follow economic rationalist beliefs, Gonski and needs based funding will save money long term. Bc the kids that attend the low SES schools that experience an injection of funds will perform better, will be more likely to go onto 11 and 12 and even uni, then will pay more tax and raise kids that do the same.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As I have already said, I'm referring to elite schools not the little Catholic/Anglican ones. If they are means tested and charging as low as 1.5k then obviously parental fees aren't close to covering the costs to educate that child. I have zero issue with the govt coffers topping that up.

I agree with Sonya. It shouldn't and doesn't cost 30-40k (parent fees and govt subsidies together) to educate one child. And we know pools and concert halls don't improve performance. Why should taxes help fund that stuff?
    I do agree. I guess my experience is that the elite 30k+ schools are the minority - whee I live, so few parents can afford those fees,so it's such a small portion of the population. Most private schools are low fee. But I guess sydney & melbourne would be very different in demographics & have a higher population at elite schools.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I didn't realise they have separate funding, in this case, they should redirect the capital works funding to non-elite schools only.
    Elite schools should not receive any funding for works. It's not government infrastructure so why would the government maintain it or increase its value through improvements. So wrong that private schools received any BER money.

I don't think we can stop the government funding all students education though - student funding is different to buildings funding. Student funding goes toward; teacher wages, learning supplies, teaching and learning equipment not getting the toilets painted - it is up to the government to maintain their facilities separate to educating our students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So do I as I said earlier when I replied to cheesecake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yes I edited my post. I'll be flamed for this but I honestly don't get why anyone would send their kids to those schools. Are they really better than State?
    I know your post was rhetorical but no they aren't. Research all over the world has consistently shown that public and private perform the same. It's more the low SES schools that struggle with low NAPLAN's. But overall, public is just as good.

Yes there are feral public schools with horrible teachers. There are also horrible private schools too. I went to one where the bullying by wealthy families was rampant. Despite continued complaints by students and their parents zero was done. I was also a Catholic school girl, some schools of which were 15+k 25 years ago.... and the stories I could tell you that we got up to would make your hair curl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Renn  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    So do I as I said earlier when I replied to cheesecake.
    I have misunderstood your post I quoted. I don't believe every child should get the same amount of funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have misunderstood your post I quoted. I don't believe every child should get the same amount of funding.
    Neither do I - sorry I wasn't clear. When I said the same I meant that every child should be funded for their education (regardless of setting) however how much they are funded should be based on need as per Gonski.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    sThis article is only a few weeks old and really highlights what many of us are saying. That it isn't private or public, it's SES that dictates performance. Which is why it should be needs based.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...59bd5a1618a050

Free public schools in well-heeled suburbs are outperforming some private schools charging more than $20,000 a year in fees.
    Data from the National ­Assessment Program for Literacy and Numeracy, to be ­released on the My School website today, shows that children living in affluent suburbs are likely to perform well regardless of which school they attend.

In Sydney, Year 5 students at the free Summer Hill Public School did better in every aspect of the 2015 NAPLAN tests than students at nearby Trinity Grammar, which is this year charging fees of $23,560. The data shows that three-quarters of students at both schools came from the top 25 per cent wealthiest households. The public school received $9366 in funding per student, compared with $26,378 at the private college.

In Brisbane, Year 5 students at Ashgrove and Bardon state schools, which both use the ­“explicit instruction’’ method of clearly teaching students the ­basics of literacy and numeracy, rivalled students at the $20,000-a-year Brisbane Grammar.
    Rosalie Primary School students in the wealthy inner-Perth suburb of Shenton Park strongly outperformed those at Trinity College, which charges $8800 in tuition fees for Year 5.

The independent public school received $10,367 in funding per student — half that of the fee-charging private school.

The Association of Heads of Independent Schools yesterday urged parents to look beyond the NAPLAN data. “My School offers parents some insight into school performance on NAPLAN tests up to Year 9, but there are a host of parental concerns that the site does not address,’’ chair Karen Spiller said. “When parents are asked about what determines their satisfaction with their children’s school, top of the list is … whether their children are happy and safe.’’
    The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority said many of the schools that made big improvements in literacy and numeracy last year taught large numbers of disadvantaged students. These included Katherine South Primary School in the Northern Territory, Gympie West State School in Queensland, Longford Primary School in Tasmania and Clyde Primary School in Victoria.
    Australian Education Union president Correna Haythorpe said the NAPLAN results showed that “Gonski funding’’ was helping disadvantaged students through one-on-one teaching support and targeted programs in literacy and numeracy. The union last night launched a $2 million advertising blitz to pressure the Turnbull government to restore the $4.5 billion in needs-based Gonski funding it plans to strip from schools in 2018 and 2019.
    Last edited by delirium; 12-04-2016 at 10:46.