+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Are people who are adamant that private schools should receive no govt funding including the local Catholic/Anglican high schools?

Certainly I understand the elite 30K+ a year schools getting less funding but my local Catholic primary school charges $800/term. By cutting funding to these schools, yes, there would be an exodus of kids to the local public schools as parents couldn't absorb the costs.
    I think all students should receive the same individual funding for teaching and learning Catholic, private and state. However, I think that the funding of capital works should not occur in elite and on a sliding scale for independent/Catholic.

The education model is funded in 2 ways - per student and capital works. The student part should be for every child regardless of the setting but governments paying for private schools buildings, pools and orchestra pits is totally abhorrent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    It would definitely mean that in my school. Its means tested, so lower income families pay 1.5k a year, I pay the higher fees at 4k per year. Per student, our school gets 1k less from the government than the public schools. Someone on a low income (30-35k) just couldnt pay 10k fees at my school. I couldnt on our 60k income. I would probably homeschool if that was my choice, the local public school would be a last resort.
    Yes I edited my post. I'll be flamed for this but I honestly don't get why anyone would send their kids to those schools. Are they really better than State? I have a friend who teaches at a catholic high school and she says they are incredibly under resources yet parents still have very high expectations on them. The Catholic Church has so much money yet their schools are so often under resourced.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-04-2016),delirium  (12-04-2016),TeaM  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Many parents simply couldn't absorb the costs, hence the mass exodus. The article said that the average government funding per child per year at private schools was $8,500. If DSS1 and DSS2's fees went up by that we couldn't afford to send them to their current private school and would move them to a public school.
    But why would the costs have to be absorbed by the parents? I really don't understand where the extra $36.5m goes? Surely it doesn't cost that much to run a school.

I do get that it takes the burden off the public system but look, if the government increased the spending per public school student by $100 per year, to cover costs of new air conditioners, soap, better art supplies, and other things that are lacking, does this mean they would equally have to increase for private school students, just to keep it fair? What would the private schools need it for exactly? I just don't think you can say it's equitable to give everyone the same, when not everyone has the same needs.

By this token you could say that everyone should receive welfare, everyone should pay the same Tax rate, everyone should be eligible for pretty much anything..

Maybe the funding for private schools should be means tested - some parents obviously have less income than others. I'm aware that not all parents who send their children to non-government schools are super wealthy. But the ones that are would not pull their kids out for $8000 a year.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Renn  (12-04-2016),smallpotatoes  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yes I edited my post. I'll be flamed for this but I honestly don't get why anyone would send their kids to those schools. Are they really better than State? I have a friend who teaches at a catholic high school and she says they are incredibly under resources yet parents still have very high expectations on them. The Catholic Church has so much money yet their schools are so often under resourced.
    Yes! I don't even think about the low fee local Catholic (or similar) when discussing private schools. They're in the same ball park as public schools and within reach of most families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Are people who are adamant that private schools should receive no govt funding including the local Catholic/Anglican high schools?

Certainly I understand the elite 30K+ a year schools getting less funding but my local Catholic primary school charges $800/term. By cutting funding to these schools, yes, there would be an exodus of kids to the local public schools as parents couldn't absorb the costs.
    I'm referring to elite private schools like SCEGGS, Knox, barker etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you see my previous post about my experiences working in both public & low fee private schools? It highlights the huge difference in the culture of the schools in my local area. Teachers who dont give a sh!t, bullying, low educational standards. I our low fee private school - resources are absolutely no better than the public school. But th teachers genuinely care & put in 100% effort. Bullying isn't tolerated. Kids achieve to a much higher standard. Parent concerns are taken seriously. Even though the resources are no better, I am paying for the culture of the school. I am paying to send my child to an environment where she is thriving,as opposed to being ignored and bullied & babysat. I know it's not like this everywhere - there are fantastic,amazing public schools, and there are crappy private schools. But this is my experiences as a teacher in MY local area.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-04-2016),Sonja  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think all students should receive the same individual funding for teaching and learning Catholic, private and state. However, I think that the funding of capital works should not occur in elite and on a sliding scale for independent/Catholic.

The education model is funded in 2 ways - per student and capital works. The student part should be for every child regardless of the setting but governments paying for private schools buildings, pools and orchestra pits is totally abhorrent.
    I didn't realise they have separate funding, in this case, they should redirect the capital works funding to non-elite schools only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont know how it works across Australia, but in SA, we recieve funding per student based on the level of disadvantage. So every student starts off with the same base rate - then we receive extra funding per student for diabilities. ESL. Indigenous students. Low SES. Rural students. So a school with low disadvantage in a high SES area receives less funding per student than a school with higher disadvantages. Its a great system & is very fair.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We'll probably send DS to one. Simply because where we live that particular schools curriculum is innovative and far superior to our other surrounding schools. For me it's a curriculum based decision and the other 3 choices simply don't cut it. If we moved to the next suburb then my choice would be particular state school which offers a very similar inquiry based curriculum.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I dont know how it works across Australia, but in SA, we recieve funding per student based on the level of disadvantage. So every student starts off with the same base rate - then we receive extra funding per student for diabilities. ESL. Indigenous students. Low SES. Rural students. So a school with low disadvantage in a high SES area receives less funding per student than a school with higher disadvantages. Its a great system & is very fair.
    Yes it's the same in vic. When I say the same funding I mean the same model so all schools should get funding based on student need as per what you've written above and then capital works is based on individual school need so obviously schools applying for funding for an orchestra pit would be low priority compared to those applying for air con.

I don't believe government should fund any works for privately owned infrastructure they should only be up keeping their own infrastructure.