+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think the demographic on the forum has really changed over the years to one of more upper middle class/high income families so I know my opinions won't be popular.
    I think you're right but I would class it as a shift towards the right of the political spectrum (as in right-wing) and not necessarily class related.

The take home of the article for me was the huge discrepancies in school resources between public and private. It was not that a government should stop any and all funding of private schools. I acknowledge that we can never make it an absolute level playing field for all children but the variation between elite private school (as described in the article) and stock standard state school is nothing short of obscene.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I think you're right but I would class it as a shift towards the right of the political spectrum (as in right-wing) and not necessarily class related.

The take home of the article for me was the huge discrepancies in school resources between public and private. It was not that a government should stop any and all funding of private schools. I acknowledge that we can never make it an absolute level playing field for all children but the variation between elite private school (as described in the article) and stock standard state school is nothing short of obscene.
    Yet the irony is I knew so many right leaning voters at the local primary school.

I honestly think it's something people who send their kids to the local school give very little thought to. I was on the finance committee at our state school and saw first hand the money being stripped from our budgets yet the vast majority of people had no idea and still voted liberal.

FWIW not everyone who sends their kids to private schools thinks the funding model is even close to fair. We left our state school for many reasons but the lack of funds was a major contributor. My kids were losing out in many ways because resources weren't there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Governments should absolutely fund student education in private schools. Funding capital works and improvements to existing facilities, absolutely not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post

Totally obscene.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Pymble Ladies' College total net recurrent income was $54,907,345 in 2014.

Killara High School down the road is the local public school down the road. Their net recurrent income for 2014 was $18,572,759.
    And Killara is the top Performing co-ed government school in NSW. I think this is quite embarrassing for parents of PLC who spent $36.5m in school fees and fundraising to get a better education for their children.

I know it's not a popular view but I really dont think private schools should get any funding from the government at all. They don't need it! If that funding wasn't given, the school could cut down their capital expenditure or have parents absorb the costs - it wouldn't create a mass exodus from private to public, no chance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our local public school doesn't have air conditioning in any of the classrooms. Absolutely disgraceful when you consider that the cost of installing them would only be around $250 per student, every 10 years. That's $25 per student per year. I mean really.... 😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I agree with this. Maybe something like for every $2 in fees the private schools charge parents their government funding is cut by $1 until it reaches zero. I do not believe it should be $1 for $1 as it reduces incentive for schools to collect money from parents.
    This is good! This would be a fair middle ground compared to my previous suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know where I stand on the public funding for private schools - not the low fee schools, but the likes of the schools mentioned in the OP's article - but the argument that I see whenever it's mentioned is that "we pay taxes too, so the government should also subsidise our child's education", usually followed by "if they cut funding for our school, I'll pull my child out of the private school and place a bigger burden on the public school system"...
    That mentality really needs to change! While teachers are still having to put their hands on their own pockets to pay for basic supplies, our public school system stinks. If funding was cut from those top schools, chances are your child is still going to have many more perks than those that attend the local public school. The core reasons why you chose a private education are still going to be there, so why is it so important that you receive *your* tax back in education, instead of being happy that it's going to better the future of those that don't have the same opportunities as you?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-04-2016),witherwings  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    For those disbelieving of the amounts private schools receive

https://www.nswtf.org.au/files/2015_...lic_cost.5.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Why shouldn't private schools get funding like Government schools? Parents are CHOOSING to pay private school prices which is what is also making them able to build these things... I'm sure if every parent of public schools poured the same amount of money into them they could do similar.
    And how do you propose every parent pour the same amount of money in to public schools? By being homeless, hungry and naked? Because the cost of some private schools would total the wage of some families. You're also brushing over the fact that most people don't even have the option to be CHOOSING to pay private school fees.
    What a simplistic view.