+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    SMH article grossly inaccurate and deliberately misleading

Just found this in response to the original post article:

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/Publicatio...%2012Apr16.pdf

The article published in the Sydney Morning Herald, “Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools”, contains assertions about independent schools’ use of government funds that are grossly inaccurate and appears to have been designed to deliberately mislead readers.

 The suggestion that the schools named receive separate dedicated capital funding from the government.
    FACT: none of the schools mentioned in the article have received funding under either the Federal or NSW government’s capital funding programs during the period mentioned
    😬 just bc the funding wasn't assigned for public works doesn't mean it didn't end up there. These schools just assign that funding to staffing or other areas then redirect funds to building. This is the association that says Gonski and funding the poorest low SES schools the most is unfair and their schools should get the same.

I've read several responses from the Independent Association and they dont come across well that's all I'll say..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

I've never heard of them but was looking up capital grants last night and found those stats - it did say last year only $700,000 of funding went to schools with a ses of over 105 - the other $25 million went to schools under 104 - I'm assuming that's at least a good sign it's going to the schools that need it? ( how do you find your schools ses number?)

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/FundedProg...0-%20Final.pdf
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-04-2016 at 08:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Obviously given my clear leanings toward public education and the fact I'm training to be a teacher in the public system, I acknowledge my inherent bias. This the Independent Schools response to Gonski which made me bristle in parts lol. Being a PDF I can't directly link you. Go to 2011 section, then click on Review of Funding for Schooling – Response to Commissioned Research

http://isca.edu.au/publications/isca-submissions/

Some of it is valid, some IMHO comes from quite a privileged place while simultaneously ignoring the notion that sometimes equality means affirmative action. Anyhoo it's long but I thought you and others might like to read it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

The local catholic school has fees of 10-15k per year (cheaper for younger grades getting more expensive expensive as they get older) it has about 1500 boys.
    They recently Purchased a heritage listed pub across the road so their staff could use the car park and for storage. This building would have been millions of dollars.
    There's something very wrong when a school receives any government funding that can afford to spend millions on a car park for teachers.

My sons school fundraised and the P and C paid for the aircon. In my area several public schools have pools becuase the P and C fundraised for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3

Just saw this article about mismanagement of funds in a couple of Islamic schools - two have been stripped of their government funding because of dodgy practices. I found it interesting in light of this thread. I must admit it did cross my mind if they were 'picked on' because they were Islamic schools... but I would hope the standards are the same for any Australian school, regardless of race or religion.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/school-life/islamic-schools-stripped-of-federal-government-funding-after-review/news-story/3778acc8147da61e6b79e01fdf59204e

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Just saw this article about mismanagement of funds in a couple of Islamic schools - two have been stripped of their government funding because of dodgy practices. I found it interesting in light of this thread. I must admit it did cross my mind if they were 'picked on' because they were Islamic schools... but I would hope the standards are the same for any Australian school, regardless of race or religion.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...79e01fdf59204e
    "The documents revealed senior administrators were paid up to $500,000 for “unidentified services”.

A loan of more than $1.4 million was also given to the AFIC but no one knows what the money was used for and there is no agreement covering the terms"

😱 !! Well I'm glad to see that the management of schools and the expenditure of government funds are under regular scrutiny and audit. I'm a little uncomfortable about the way this article only refers to Islamic schools and doesn't mention other independent schools that may have been under investigation. I'm sure these 4 schools are not the only ones in all of Australia. I really hate seeing xenophobia being perpetuated in the media.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...79e01fdf59204e
    Yeah, that's been brewing for a while. I read about that some time ago but it's good to see that they are being held accountable for not meeting the required standards to receive the government money.

I genuinely don't think they are just picking on Islamic schools in this instance. Whilst it makes me twitch to quote Murdoch press the article says:

In total the schools received about $41 million in funding in 2015, up to 75 per cent of their funding.

But a Deloitte audit last year found all of them failed to meet basic standards required to qualify for this funding.
    It found ongoing concerns about the schools’ independence, financial management and governance arrangements.
    They are all required to operate as financially viable, not-for-profit organisations, under the Australian Education Act 2013.
    In addition to this the funding must only be used for school education.
    It would seem reasonable to withdraw funding if a school is not meeting the basic standards required. I do hope that there is some sort of continuity plan for the students' though. Surely there would have to be??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (20-04-2016)