+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

SMH article grossly inaccurate and deliberately misleading

Just found this in response to the original post article:

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/Publicatio...%2012Apr16.pdf

The article published in the Sydney Morning Herald, “Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools”, contains assertions about independent schools’ use of government funds that are grossly inaccurate and appears to have been designed to deliberately mislead readers.

 The suggestion that the schools named receive separate dedicated capital funding from the government.
    FACT: none of the schools mentioned in the article have received funding under either the Federal or NSW government’s capital funding programs during the period mentioned (2009 to 2014).
     Conflating government funding provided under the Building the Education Revolution (BER) program with general capital works funding.
    FACT: the BER Program was an economic stimulus program designed to avoid Australia falling into recession during the global financial crisis. Its objectives were very different to other capital works programs and the independent schools sector was also shown to have used BER funds extremely efficiently. Using figures from MySchool that include funding allocated under this program is misleading.

The comment by the NSW Greens MP, David Shoebridge, that funding for independent schools somehow impacts on the funding allocated to government schools.
    FACT: funding formulas and allocations for government and non-government schools are entirely separate, with no relationship between the two. An increase in funding to non-government schools does not correspond to a decrease in funding for government schools, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 13-04-2016 at 21:51.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    This is what really aggravates me. I saw a number of private schools that received an average of around $1m per year over a 5 year period. I just can't understand why the government is spending this on elite private schools that already have facilities that are far superior to their public counterparts.
    I did see quite a large number of non-government schools that receive a lot of government funding but have very low fees paid by parents (around $5000 or less per child), so I can understand the need for funding there, considering the school fees don't even cover the burden of a child in a public school, let alone capital expenditure.. But come on - Abbotsleigh received more than 5.4m in just 4 years.

Does anyone know how capital grants work? What makes a school eligible for them?
    https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/FundedProg...s/default.aspx

https://www.aisnsw.edu.au/FundedProg...0-%20Final.pdf

That's just for NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Ummmm.. how can you not be in a 'zone'? And noone else will 'take you'? I'm sorry you have to go through that.
    We're inner city and not zoned for a local school, no one thought about families living in the city. Primary school we have to apply to the closest out of zone then the principals of the 4 schools divvy out who will take us - could be a 10 min drive or 30 min depending on who has space.

We have spoken to two of the closest high schools and have flat out been told they won't take us as we are out of zone. One school may take us but as they are almost at capacity they can't be certain - my son is two years off high school and is anxious about the situation.

Parents are attempting to get some answers from relevant departments about getting some kind of commitment to at least one high school but so far it's not happening. We pulled up the education department zoning map and we are out in no mans land.

I guess some one has to take us but it's terrible to know we are forced upon a school not part of a community proper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

The administration of BER was a display of laughable incompetence and rash policy implementation. The result was a huge amount of wastage, exorbitant pricing of buildings and imo direction of money to private capital works and improvements to privately owned lands and buildings amongst a whole range of other issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also add that in Canada, because money isn't wasted on elite private schools, catholic schools (and French schools actually) fall within the public system so they are actually free for families. Meanwhile the top end of town pay full fees for private schools of they want and the government had nothing to do with that.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was just talking about this topic with my SIL at dinner, according to the my school site DS gets apparently $4,000 in government funding and if our fees went up by that much if it stopped then yeh it would be harder but we could just manage it having only 1 child but my nieces go to a small independent private school and it's roughly now $24,000 for both girls in high school and they apparently get $8000 in government funding so if her school fees went up by $16,000 a year for both girls making it $40,000 a year they definitely couldn't afford it on their wages (roughly $120k pa) so obviously would have to pull them out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I was just talking about this topic with my SIL at dinner, according to the my school site DS gets apparently $4,000 in government funding and if our fees went up by that much if it stopped then yeh it would be harder but we could just manage it having only 1 child but my nieces go to a small independent private school and it's roughly now $24,000 for both girls in high school and they apparently get $8000 in government funding so if her school fees went up by $16,000 a year for both girls making it $40,000 a year they definitely couldn't afford it on their wages (roughly $120k pa) so obviously would have to pull them out
    But they wouldn't increase by that amount. That's just scare tactics. Private schools would have to manage their budgets differently and cut wastage or other costs. They know they would lose students if fees went up $ for $. It just wouldn't happen at schools charging upwards of $10k a year.
    Last edited by Sonja; 13-04-2016 at 22:48.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

delirium  (14-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I'm not sure about capital works. I did look up Abboysleigh, & thr government funding is 3k per student. X the number of students - it was a little over 4 million per year. But that has nothing to do with school buildings - every student in Australia receives some funding for their education. In a wealthy school with little disadvantages, they will receive 3k per student. In a low ses area, they will receive 21k+ per student. It doesnt really havr anything to do with ehat existing buildings the school has - more the recognition that the government shoukd contribute SOMETHING to educating every child in australia. Some people in this thread believe the government shouldnt provide that 3k for the higher income students. I think the system seems pretty fair,tbh. 3k for a student from an elite school, 21k for a student from a low ses school with lots of challeges.
    I'm not talking about subsiding school fees, I'm referring to capital expenditure, which is in addition to the $3000 per student.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Pretty much all of the elite schools in the top 100 in NSW only get around $3000 per student (this is based on my analysis from the myschool website). I know for a fact that if fees increased by $3000 for my half-brother and sister who both go to private elite schools, their parents wouldn't think twice about forking out that cash. However, as sonja said, there's no way the schools would make parents absorb the cuts. They'll have to cut their spending, not try to maintain their income.

But anyway, let's leave subsidised school fees aside - the article was talking about capital works and I think this is what is unfair. The funds should go to where they are most needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just reading this now and I'm already dumbfounded..

"The specific objectives of both Capital Grants Programs are to:
    provide and improve school infrastructure, particularly for the most educationally disadvantaged students".

Wow, just wow!

Abbotsleigh received $5.47m between 2009 and 2013 - their annual income from fees alone is $29m. Has anyone on this forum actually seen this school? they have a "state of the art" acquatic centre and an underground car park, an assembly hall and a concert hall, just to name a few of their incredible facilities. It's a beautiful school and they do incredibly well in HSC (top 10 in nsw). This is not even a slightly educationally disadvantaged school let alone one of the "most". Something is very wrong with the Association of Independent Schools of NSW (AISNSW) if they have secured $5.4m of funding for this school.