+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Is the lack of soap because they can't afford to buy it or because the person responsible for topping it up needing to lift their game a bit?

They run out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    They run out
    I just can't understand how that happens. I was on our schools finance committee for 2 years and those sorts of supplies should never run out. I'd be questioning why that happens. It just shouldn't.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They run out
    That is very poor management of funds. That shouldnt be happening. Someome isn't doing their job properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They run out
    Sounds like it could be poor management rather than lack of funding. Pretty ridiculous and unacceptable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Finally, just to re-emphasise, the most significant point of the article posted was the ridiculous differences in resources and facilities between elite private schools and local state schools. DD started prep this year and they often run out of soap in the prep toilets. Soap. Meanwhile another school has a new hall with an orchestra pit. It just doesn't seem right.
    This is what really aggravates me. I saw a number of private schools that received an average of around $1m per year over a 5 year period. I just can't understand why the government is spending this on elite private schools that already have facilities that are far superior to their public counterparts.
    I did see quite a large number of non-government schools that receive a lot of government funding but have very low fees paid by parents (around $5000 or less per child), so I can understand the need for funding there, considering the school fees don't even cover the burden of a child in a public school, let alone capital expenditure.. But come on - Abbotsleigh received more than 5.4m in just 4 years.

Does anyone know how capital grants work? What makes a school eligible for them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't even have access to a public high school, we are facing the prospect of having to sell and move or rent and move as we cannot afford private school and are not zoned for a single school in our area - we "may" be allowed access to schools 20 min drive away that has no public transport option. In this case I believe the surrounding private schools (yearly fees of $20k plus) ought not get high funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    This is what really aggravates me. I saw a number of private schools that received an average of around $1m per year over a 5 year period. I just can't understand why the government is spending this on elite private schools that already have facilities that are far superior to their public counterparts.
    I did see quite a large number of non-government schools that receive a lot of government funding but have very low fees paid by parents (around $5000 or less per child), so I can understand the need for funding there, considering the school fees don't even cover the burden of a child in a public school, let alone capital expenditure.. But come on - Abbotsleigh received more than 5.4m in just 4 years.

Does anyone know how capital grants work? What makes a school eligible for them?
    I'm not sure about capital works. I did look up Abboysleigh, & thr government funding is 3k per student. X the number of students - it was a little over 4 million per year. But that has nothing to do with school buildings - every student in Australia receives some funding for their education. In a wealthy school with little disadvantages, they will receive 3k per student. In a low ses area, they will receive 21k+ per student. It doesnt really havr anything to do with ehat existing buildings the school has - more the recognition that the government shoukd contribute SOMETHING to educating every child in australia. Some people in this thread believe the government shouldnt provide that 3k for the higher income students. I think the system seems pretty fair,tbh. 3k for a student from an elite school, 21k for a student from a low ses school with lots of challeges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Not every low ses school receives $21k+ per student.

It would have to be very extreme to receive that much.

The bottom line is that education in this country is not equitable and that doesn't sit right with me. We need to do more to close the gap between our most disadvantaged and advantaged students.

Needs based funding isn't about public schools getting more money. It's about them getting enough money. Elite private schools do have enough yet their funding increases every year whilst public school education funding decreases. That's not how we close the gap.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 13-04-2016 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    We don't even have access to a public high school, we are facing the prospect of having to sell and move or rent and move as we cannot afford private school and are not zoned for a single school in our area - we "may" be allowed access to schools 20 min drive away that has no public transport option. In this case I believe the surrounding private schools (yearly fees of $20k plus) ought not get high funding.
    Ummmm.. how can you not be in a 'zone'? And noone else will 'take you'? I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Another angle: if the government didn't partially fund private school students then the public system would be flooded and everyone would be screwed.
    This fallacy relies on the presumption that all private school students would be switched to public schools of there were no government funding for private schools. Obviously that is not the case. Look at similar countries like Canada where no private schools receive any finding yet many students still attend private schools. These very wealthy schools referred to in the article would not be lacking students with or without funding so basically every dollar we give them is just flushed down the toilet.

Yes SOME percentage of students would switch but I don't think it would be enough to tip the scales. Like if 1/4 switched but we cut off 100% of the private school funding and put that to public schools we would still be way ahead.