+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I remember the debate in regards to that, couldn't remember if it was implemented.

Did we see a lot of wealthy people ditch their private health and flood the public system? I don't think so
    Nope because then they need to pay the Medicare levy which is often more than private health insurance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I have clients who move to get out of sending their girls to Penshurst - it probably has the worst reputation around here , it's the feeder school for my nieces school and hardly anyone in year 6 is going there next year , which is why the local catholic girls schools are inundated with applications , my SIL had her kids christened Catholic ( something I personally would never do) to not have her daughter not go there in high school ! It's all personal experience I know and everyone has their own experiences
    Can I ask what the issues are with your zoned public schools? It's not a loaded question, I'm just genuinely interested what you perceive to be the issues beyond the size of the schools.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I have clients who move to get out of sending their girls to Penshurst - it probably has the worst reputation around here , it's the feeder school for my nieces school and hardly anyone in year 6 is going there next year , which is why the local catholic girls schools are inundated with applications , my SIL had her kids christened Catholic ( something I personally would never do) to not have her daughter not go there in high school ! It's all personal experience I know and everyone has their own experiences
    Yep, my partner and I are going to get our two kids christened to give them a better chance to get into the local catholic school. I am a hardened atheist and thought I'd never, ever do this but the alternative is a public school that we are zoned for that has a god awful reputation. Stuck between a rock and a hard place unfortunately. I think my sons education is going to take priority over my ideals. I haven't been in a church for about 20 years.

I hope I don't burst into flame at the christening.
    Last edited by Bongley; 13-04-2016 at 13:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm so relieved our zoned public is fab. As an atheist as well I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't. Probably moved to a different zone to access a better public. I would have felt like an imposter at the Catholic That's not a dig at you Bongley btw. I totally get wanting the best for your child and if this is what is best then it is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Can I ask what the issues are with your zoned public schools? It's not a loaded question, I'm just genuinely interested what you perceive to be the issues beyond the size of the schools.
    Our public high school only goes to year 10 then they have to go to another campus for year 11-12 - DH did that and hated it , he felt it ruined his high school experience and he missed the school pride kind of thing that we had - they also don't offer as wide a variety of subject choices for high school , DS is only 5 so obviously we have no idea yet what he will want to do after school so I wanted at least a school with different options ( HSC, TAFE and IB) plus we wanted a school big on extra curricular activities which it doesn't have and we both feel sport is important for kids - it is also opinions based on family/friends/clients who go/went there - I agree no school is ever perfect but we only have 1 child and don't mind contributing to his schooling , we know some teachers at his school, have many friends and family who go there and love the head master - DH had public schooling all his life whereas I had private - we both achieved the same HSC results and are as successful as each other in business so I definitely don't believe we are sending DS private for better results or a better career but more because it offers a bigger variety so will suit his personality/ambitions whatever they may be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will preface this by saying I have zero experience or contact with any 'elite' private schools - there are very few of them around here, & I have never worked in one. But I am sensing a LOT of angst on here towards the elite schools, & I'm not sure why &where all that angst comes from. Perhaps those of you who are from melbourne/ sydney would have better insight as to why people dislike the elite schools so much.

I think a parents reasons for choosing a school are valid whatever they may be. My kids school is under 200 students - a small school is important to me. There is absolutely no tolerance for bullying/ great discipline - so I know my DD is in an environment where she feels safe and secure. And the curriculum and teachers are the absolute best. I personally dont actually care about her 'results', & I'm not even remotely thinking about uni or job prospects. I didnt choose a private school for good 'results', (as studies have shown, she would likely have the same results in a public school) - I'm thinking about the here & now. She is happy & thriving every day, & that's what is important to me. She will be at school for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40weeks a year, for 13 years. I want that school to be a happy, safe place for her. I know our local zoned public school isn't able to provide that for her.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-04-2016),atomicmama  (13-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (13-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016),gingermillie  (13-04-2016),Tamtam  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I will preface this by saying I have zero experience or contact with any 'elite' private schools - there are very few of them around here, & I have never worked in one. But I am sensing a LOT of angst on here towards the elite schools, & I'm not sure why &where all that angst comes from. Perhaps those of you who are from melbourne/ sydney would have better insight as to why people dislike the elite schools so much.

I think a parents reasons for choosing a school are valid whatever they may be. My kids school is under 200 students - a small school is important to me. There is absolutely no tolerance for bullying/ great discipline - so I know my DD is in an environment where she feels safe and secure. And the curriculum and teachers are the absolute best. I personally dont actually care about her 'results', & I'm not even remotely thinking about uni or job prospects. I didnt choose a private school for good 'results', (as studies have shown, she would likely have the same results in a public school) - I'm thinking about the here & now. She is happy & thriving every day, & that's what is important to me. She will be at school for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40weeks a year, for 13 years. I want that school to be a happy, safe place for her. I know our local zoned public school isn't able to provide that for her.
    I agree but unfortunately I always get slammed on here for choosing to send DS private, I shouldn't have to justify it but always have too - in real life I never get this much negativity - DS has spent a whole 12 weeks in his first term at the school and it has just been such a wonderful experience and he is loving it which is all I care about

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (13-04-2016),Tamtam  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll still check out our public school and have a look around, speak to other parents closer to the time etc and if I think it looks good I'd be dee-lighted to send my son there. But it's not sounding promising, so the baptism is our back-up. When we moved to this suburb we didn't realise how bad a rep the local public school had, we've moved to a rougher area so we can afford a house! The choice between trying to find an affordable house (again) in a zone with a decent public school or spending an awkward hour getting his head sprinkled with water.....well, we figure the latter is the easier choice.

Also, with the funding debate, I WOULD normally agree that people spending 28K per year don't need funding from the state. However I remember seeing a Michael Moore doco where he stated that the more removed the rich felt from the poor (ie the less welfare the rich received) the more they felt that they shouldn't pay taxes and caused a further divide between rich (we pay for everything anyway so why should we pay taxes) and the poor. Maybe the rich would feel hard done by regardless but I reckon a few grand per kid to keep them on board might help. It does sound like there is a reasonably fair sliding scale of funding from the government but it does sound like the poorer schools do need more if they can't afford proper heating and cooling as a bare minimum.

Also, a colleague of mine (a musician) at work says it IS all the extras, fancy musical equipment, recital halls etc that attracted him to put his kid in fancy private school (Barker I think it is) plus when he told me it was 28K per year I was like 'holy cow!' then I thought, well that's only about 7K more than I pay for childcare. We don't get a frikin recital hall and olympic swimming pool
    Last edited by Bongley; 13-04-2016 at 15:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm certainly not asking people to justify, like I said, I was honestly just interested. Maybe I'm just really lucky to be in a community with great public schools, small class sizes etc so I'm not really exposed to many of the reasons people choose private. Thus why I asked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

I agree with @ellijahsmum I never encounter any criticism in real life for sending my kids to elite schools only get questioned on here.

When we moved DD2 from state school to the private school in prep it did ruffle a few feathers at her school and I get that as it was hard not to make the decision without being critical of the school she was at for not meeting her needs. But within 6 months everyone could see the change in her so had to agree the new school had offered her something the state school couldn't.

ETA I'm more than 100% happy about our school choices so am happy to offer an explanation. Our zoned public high school gets fantastic results but with enrolments nudging 2500 it's not even open to me that my kids will go there.
    Last edited by Sonja; 13-04-2016 at 14:43.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016)