+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    From what I understand, most elite private schools have *at least* 1500 enrolments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    From what I understand, most elite private schools have *at least* 1500 enrolments.
    Our local high school has 2300 students.

My girls school has 1000. My son's school has around the same.

Even back in Melbourne our local high school had 1700 students. So for me it was a no brainer.

I think you'd find it difficult to know exact numbers of enrolments for elite high schools as they have enrolments from pp-12.
    Last edited by Sonja; 13-04-2016 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    But when the public high schools are not great, don't have music programs etc then do you at least agree a private school with a good reputation can be better if you can afford it ?

In our area they have changed the set up of the high schools, there are 4 high schools that now only go to year 10 and then those 4 schools combine and go to a different campus for years 11 and 12 , DH had to do it and hated it , it's known for a lot of fights/bullying as the 4 "rival" schools are now together , many local parents have gone Catholic as they want their kids to have the 6 years of high school in the same school and they get better results - you can't check NAPLAN scores as its only year 11 and 12 and I checked it's HSC ranking and it just says it's not in the top 150 in the state but all the private and Catholic high schools are so surely you can see why some parents would choose another school?
    The thing is, vast majority of parents who send their child to elite private schools *expect* that their child will go to university.

Not every public school parent expects their child to go to university.

Oatley senior campus offers hsc subjects but also an alternative curriculum for students who are seeking employment straight after school or wanting entry to tafe so it's quite obvious that that school and other public high schools won't do as well in hsc rankings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Our local high school has 2300 students.

My girls school has 1000. My son's school has around the same.

Even back in Melbourne our local high school had 1700 students. So for me it was a no brainer.

I think you'd find it difficult to know exact numbers of enrolments for elite high schools as they have enrolments from pp-12.
    Myschool lists number of enrolments, whether the school is k-12, coed or single sex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Myschool lists number of enrolments, whether the school is k-12, coed or single sex.
    ??

I know that hence my point above.

It lists the total numbers. So you wouldn't know how many are just in high school so how can you compare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    ??

I know that hence my point above.

It lists the total numbers. So you wouldn't know how many are just in high school so how can you compare?
    Some schools are all at the same campus K-12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Some schools are all at the same campus K-12.
    Ok I don't know any that do so was speaking from my decision and reasons. School size is important to me and I seek schools that have split campuses and are smaller.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Georges River college especially penshurst girls is a very sought after school. I don't know about Peakhurst or Hurstville boys but I have friends who would like their daughters to attend penshurst as out of area.

The senior campus did well in the hsc when you consider that public schools educate over 80% of the most disadvantaged students in the country.

http://www.oatleysnr-h.schools.nsw.e...sc-result-2015
    I have clients who move to get out of sending their girls to Penshurst - it probably has the worst reputation around here , it's the feeder school for my nieces school and hardly anyone in year 6 is going there next year , which is why the local catholic girls schools are inundated with applications , my SIL had her kids christened Catholic ( something I personally would never do) to not have her daughter not go there in high school ! It's all personal experience I know and everyone has their own experiences
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 13-04-2016 at 13:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS only has 295 boys at his private primary school which is one of the reasons we liked it - yes high school does has more

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing is, vast majority of parents who send their child to elite private schools *expect* that their child will go to university.

Not every public school parent expects their child to go to university.

Oatley senior campus offers hsc subjects but also an alternative curriculum for students who are seeking employment straight after school or wanting entry to tafe so it's quite obvious that that school and other public high schools won't do as well in hsc rankings.
    one of the reasons we choose DS school is that you can do the HSC in year 12, the IB or can get TAFE accreditation in years 11 and 12 for a trade as yes I have no idea what DS will want to do but this way if he chooses to be a Doctor or a plumber he is covered

You've often mentioned you need to pick the right school for your child which I totally agree with but what if some public schools that you are zoned for don't suit your child?