+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Private health insurance rebate IS means tested. The rebate reduces progressively based on your income.
    I remember the debate in regards to that, couldn't remember if it was implemented.

Did we see a lot of wealthy people ditch their private health and flood the public system? I don't think so

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I remember the debate in regards to that, couldn't remember if it was implemented.

Did we see a lot of wealthy people ditch their private health and flood the public system? I don't think so
    Lots of middle to higher income earners have. Lots of people cancelled hospital cover and just keep extras.

It's irrelevant anyway as I'm talking about taxing "wealthy" people who choose to send their children to public schools. It won't make them go to private school but will add more money to reserves for spending on public schools.
    Last edited by Sonja; 13-04-2016 at 09:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I completely agree with you. But some people believe status, networking and an expensive pool makes the school better and therefore their child's chances better.

There are some excellent high schools in the same areas as these elite schools who perform very well, have strict bullying programs, music programs etc. So if it isn't about status, networking etc then why not send your child to the public high?

But when the public high schools are not great, don't have music programs etc then do you at least agree a private school with a good reputation can be better if you can afford it ?

In our area they have changed the set up of the high schools, there are 4 high schools that now only go to year 10 and then those 4 schools combine and go to a different campus for years 11 and 12 , DH had to do it and hated it , it's known for a lot of fights/bullying as the 4 "rival" schools are now together , many local parents have gone Catholic as they want their kids to have the 6 years of high school in the same school and they get better results - you can't check NAPLAN scores as its only year 11 and 12 and I checked it's HSC ranking and it just says it's not in the top 150 in the state but all the private and Catholic high schools are so surely you can see why some parents would choose another school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Totally. There are crap public schools out there, and I get why parents would send their kids private. But in that case I would choose a smaller private school than an elite one. I guess it's all about different priorities and perspectives and everyone is different. I just really really dislike the mentality of a lot of those elite schools. I find them so pretentious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Totally. There are crap public schools out there, and I get why parents would send their kids private. But in that case I would choose a smaller private school than an elite one. I guess it's all about different priorities and perspectives and everyone is different. I just really really dislike the mentality of a lot of those elite schools. I find them so pretentious.
    My kids attend what many on here would classify as elite private schools.

I realise people have prejudices for a reason. I know I did when I was younger too as no one I knew attended one. I went to a selective state school and whenever we competed against the so called elite schools we would be trashed and mocked. So I get it.

But not every school is like that. My son's school is beautiful. The teachers are amazing and the parent community really supportive and lovely. They have a massive giving program and do huge amounts of fundraising for charities. I'm really proud of it.

I've written about my girls' school before so not going to rehash that. But again many of the preconceived ideas about private girls schools simply aren't relevant.

One of my close friends moved her child to another so called elite school because of endless bullying issues at their public school. Her daughter (who has a disability) has never been happier since moving.

Yes we acknowledge that there are bad public schools. But why is it so hard to acknowledge some elite private schools are good choices and good schools?

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (13-04-2016),Bongley  (13-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (13-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Georges River college especially penshurst girls is a very sought after school. I don't know about Peakhurst or Hurstville boys but I have friends who would like their daughters to attend penshurst as out of area.

The senior campus did well in the hsc when you consider that public schools educate over 80% of the most disadvantaged students in the country.

http://www.oatleysnr-h.schools.nsw.e...sc-result-2015

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonja View Post
    my kids attend what many on here would classify as elite private schools.

I realise people have prejudices for a reason. I know i did when i was younger too as no one i knew attended one. I went to a selective state school and whenever we competed against the so called elite schools we would be trashed and mocked. So i get it.

But not every school is like that. My son's school is beautiful. The teachers are amazing and the parent community really supportive and lovely. They have a massive giving program and do huge amounts of fundraising for charities. I'm really proud of it.

I've written about my girls' school before so not going to rehash that. But again many of the preconceived ideas about private girls schools simply aren't relevant.

One of my close friends moved her child to another so called elite school because of endless bullying issues at their public school. Her daughter (who has a disability) has never been happier since moving.

Yes we acknowledge that there are bad public schools. But why is it so hard to acknowledge some elite private schools are good choices and good schools?
    I100% acknowledge it, I also think the private vs state thing is a bit pointless. Everyone has different and valid reasons for sending their child to a particular school. The "bad" schools really are a bit of a misnomer, there's just schools which are right for some kids and their families and those which aren't. I've taught at some schools which some would think are shockers based upon what they value and I've taught at some which the community thinks is fantastic (which is incidentally our local school) but there's no way I'll send DS there even though everyone raves about it.

Kids are different, schools are different and it's really about finding the right fit for our needs and values.
    Last edited by babyla; 13-04-2016 at 11:12.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (13-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Sure, there are heaps of great private and elite schools too, you won't get an argument there. But I think particularly in high school some are extremely elitist and pretentious. I've never lived metro, but I have attended private schools which for regional areas are considered semi elite. I remember being told by our Principal "not to associate with the public school riff raff" and "always wear our blazers after school so the community knows you are from the best school" Every year that school is outperformed by the "riff raff" at the public highs lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My kids attend what many on here would classify as elite private schools.

I realise people have prejudices for a reason. I know I did when I was younger too as no one I knew attended one. I went to a selective state school and whenever we competed against the so called elite schools we would be trashed and mocked. So I get it.

I don't really consider selective schools your run of the mill every day public school.

Most exclusive private schools have changed the date of their tests because the selective schools test was first and students were accepting places at selective schools.

Selective schools are often more desirable for some than elite private schools.

Of course you can get good private schools, and you moved your children because the public system want working for them, but vast majority of people have their children's names down on elite private school waiting lists when they find out they're pregnant or soon after birth. Why?

How do they know that that school will be the best for their child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We had our kids names down at a few elite schools in Melbourne from birth. Why? Because (a) we had no idea where we'd be living by the time they started high school so on the chance we moved and the local high school was bad we'd have a fall back (b) many of the local high schools were huge and numbers were increasing. My school had nearly 2500 students and I know how hard that can be to navigate as I saw many kids struggle. I wanted to have options in case my kids wouldn't cope at a very large school.

Obviously I don't know why everyone puts their kids names down. But I do know from speaking endlessly to the enrolments people at our school a lot that do don't wind up sending their kids there (at least not for primary).

There will always be people for whom the name of the school matters. I'm not denying that. But where we live in Perth the economy is on the down turn so many of those people who can't afford it and don't really have a good reason to send their kids to those schools are rethinking that decision.