+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Re networking.

As a lawyer who worked interstate from the school they attended and worked at 2 of the top 3 firms in the country it's such an out of date concept.

It may be good from a social perspective but if people still in this day and age of transparency think it really helps get their kids jobs I think they are wasting their money.

Uni results are all that matters for professions. It may impact other areas outside an actually professional job but as I never attended an elite private school myself I wouldn't have a clue.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (13-04-2016),delirium  (13-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (13-04-2016)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I nearly started a spin off thread about airconditioning but will have my rant here.

I think it is an exorbitant waste of money to install aircon in all classrooms, for what two really hot months of the year - Feb and Nov. At state schools (in Qld) the P and F needs to fund the purchase, running costs and maintenance of airconditioning units. Our school is currently raising money to install it in every classroom. It will cost in excess of $300k and the P and F will also need to find the money to pay for running costs on top of that. It makes me feel sick to the stomach when I think of how that money could be better spent. For example the school is grossly underfunded when it comes to supporting children with additional needs. I understand that the P and F raise money for extras, and funding for teachers aides etc come from government funding. But sheesh, something is very broken with the system when the P and F is rich enough to commit current and future parent's money to something as ridiculous as air conditioning when there are so poorly underfunded in other areas. I have doubts that air conditioning would improve learning outcomes in classrooms in most of Australia. (note, I said most, far north Qld, WA and Northern Territory may be a different story). I have concerns our children are becoming so precious that they can't be expected to cope with temperature fluctuations, and wider concerns about the environmental impact of the unnecessary use of resources in the manufacture and running of the units.
    Can't agree with you there. We live in western Brisbane, temps start reaching the low 30s in October and stay there until April. November, January and February temps we will regularly get very hot weeks where temps can get into the high 30s. Fortunately all the classrooms at my children's school are air-conditioned with the exception of one. This was my daughter's classroom so being on the P&C and with the support of others we managed to get air con installed late last year. It didn't have aircon when it was my son's room and I remember a young child sitting outside vomiting at the end of the day - he had no where cool to sit and must have felt like crap.

Today's max is 28 and that's only because it's forecast rain. Hot, sweaty children will not be as responsive to learning as those that can keep cool in a pleasant environment. If we want optimal outcomes for students we need to provide optimal facilities.

If we lived in an equally cold climate there wouldn't be nearly as much fuss about installing heaters in classrooms. My parents who grew up in the depression of the 1930s in England had heaters in their classrooms and they went to the local state school.

What does make me cross (yes, something else!!) is that the P&C raises the money for air con and any other facility, it gets installed at school then becomes the property of the State government.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just popping in to say that I think .all schools and therefore all children should receive some government funding. It doesn't matter whether it's considered an elite school or not.
    I honestly don't think the majority of parents send their children to private school for status. I did go to one of the elite schools. ..not for status but because it was all girls and that was better for my secondary education. I went to public for primary.

Some of the resources in private schools are attractive. What if your child was a talented swimmer and the school supported that and they got a scholarship?
    My previous school has a free band program. All students in year 5 got the chance to learn an instrument and play in a band for 2 years, it was part of the music curriculum. Instruments and lessons were part of the fees I guess. Though when they introduced this program the fees didn't go up. These sorts of things are attractive to parents looking to give their child lots of opportunities and yes many public schools don't offer or can't afford to offer this type of opportunity and parents can seek it outside of the school. I still do advocate though that a school is only as good as the teaching staff too.

I know a local private school that has a swimming pool..olympic size. ..not built by capital funds but a parent at the school wanted it so they funded it! Crazy.

I can see where both sides are coming from, but private schools should get some funding to build. And public schools should as well. The private school is still offering a service to the community that otherwise would have to be funded by the government. It's much cheaper for the government to fund extra building in an established school than to start building brand new schools for a growing population. This is certainly the case where I live. However many public schools have been established in the last 5 years or so here too.

Funny how most people say don't look at naplan or results on my school but when it comes to money etc the site is the truth too.

I think too many have clouded views on private schools anyway so it doesn't matter what good works they do they will always be run down by others.

Just like when I go to hospital with my private health insurance I still can claim some back on medicare - government money.
    Look it's not a perfect system but I do think private schools should be getting some government funding.
    Last edited by Tamtam; 13-04-2016 at 07:59.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (13-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What about the idea that was floated last year of like the Medicare levy on high income earners making parents who earn a lot but choose public education pay an extra fee or levy because they opt out of the private system?

If you argue private schools get nothing why not charge high income earners a levy to opt into public? Where we lived in Melbourne there were amazing public schools where people moved into the area to send them. Houses cost over $1m in the area but there was also substantial government housing.

Thoughts?
    Agree - I have tons of wealthy clients who send their kids to public primary and then private high schools, they can easily afford to pay a levy for primary school - there are a few suburbs around here where people buy specifically to get into certain schools , I've rented homes to some that paid 6 months worth of rent and left the house empty to get the address to get into school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Re networking.

As a lawyer who worked interstate from the school they attended and worked at 2 of the top 3 firms in the country it's such an out of date concept.

It may be good from a social perspective but if people still in this day and age of transparency think it really helps get their kids jobs I think they are wasting their money.

Uni results are all that matters for professions. It may impact other areas outside an actually professional job but as I never attended an elite private school myself I wouldn't have a clue.
    I agree. I've had friends who were born overseas and only moved to Australia in the last 10 or so years who have asked me about schools their children attend giving them an advantage and as far as I'm aware, it doesn't really happen, although maybe it happens in other areas of employment. One would hope not, missing out on the right person for a job because somebody who attended an elite private school got it simply because of the school they attended.

ETA - there was a recent study that found the university you attended was important in regards to employment opportunities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Re networking.

I completely agree with you. But some people believe status, networking and an expensive pool makes the school better and therefore their child's chances better.

There are some excellent high schools in the same areas as these elite schools who perform very well, have strict bullying programs, music programs etc. So if it isn't about status, networking etc then why not send your child to the public high?

It's about the child. Just as many of my public high school mates went to uni as those that I went to private schools with. I did my HSC in a public high school and got into uni and my kids will be going to the local high as no surprises, but it performs just as well as the private high. But even locally there are some parents that think going private not only means better outcomes, but gives *them* status.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Myschool gets their NAPLAN results by comparing schools with similar schools, some of which are completely different to the schools they are compared to. So that's why I don't pay much attention to NAPLAN from myschool website. If you're choosing a school from NAPLAN results on myschool alone then that's up to you. I certainly wouldn't choose a school by looking at myschool at all whether it is NAPLAN or funding. But the funding is straightforward, it's not compared like NAPLAN is and would be fairly accurate.

I also think that private health should be means tested. If you earn over say $300k then you shouldn't quality for a rebate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Funny how most people say don't look at naplan or results on my school but when it comes to money etc the site is the truth too.
    What a school is funded is concrete figure though? NAPLAN's are flawed in many ways, so much so that countries such as Holland and Denmark refuse to undertake standardised testing in favour of ongoing teacher assessment. And they are leading the world and quite honestly killing us in the education stakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I think naplan is a joke. I don't like it one bit.

But when we read a number on a website we don't know all the background information behind it. We don't know how many students with LD that school has....or if they won a grant to develop a new program or if the local public school and private school share facilities for sport etc.
    It's just a number that you're comparing. There's way more going on than any of us realise I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Myschool gets their NAPLAN results by comparing schools with similar schools, some of which are completely different to the schools they are compared to. So that's why I don't pay much attention to NAPLAN from myschool website. If you're choosing a school from NAPLAN results on myschool alone then that's up to you. I certainly wouldn't choose a school by looking at myschool at all whether it is NAPLAN or funding. But the funding is straightforward, it's not compared like NAPLAN is and would be fairly accurate.

I also think that private health should be means tested. If you earn over say $300k then you shouldn't quality for a rebate.
    Private health insurance rebate IS means tested. The rebate reduces progressively based on your income.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (13-04-2016),Sonja  (13-04-2016)