+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What about the idea that was floated last year of like the Medicare levy on high income earners making parents who earn a lot but choose public education pay an extra fee or levy because they opt out of the private system?

If you argue private schools get nothing why not charge high income earners a levy to opt into public? Where we lived in Melbourne there were amazing public schools where people moved into the area to send them. Houses cost over $1m in the area but there was also substantial government housing.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Are you suggesting that its unfair that the govt gives anything to pymble students? Even though it is less than a third of what each student receives at your school?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no I don't support Pymble getting that funding. They receive well over what it costs to educate each child from the parents, the tax payer should be responsible for ensuring each child's school is given what it costs to educate them. Not to add cream to build extravagant buildings and additions to the school. particularly when we know in reality these additions don't bring about better educational outcomes and scores.

In your kid's school's case, their fees don't come close to covering their costs to educate each child. Therefore imo it's fair the govt tops up the fees. But I don't support an elite school who is already getting around 8-10k a year above the rough 16k high school figure per child to get even more funding. They don't need it. We have public schools in disrepair, with no air con as you say, while elite schools are using tax payer funds for frivolous things.

I know that won't be a popular view among some. But the same people in other threads will argue how it's not the tax payer's job to support low income earners and they need to stand on their own two feet. So why should those same funds go to ridiculously wealthy schools?
    Last edited by delirium; 12-04-2016 at 22:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes I am. When your parents can afford $25k in school fees then I really don't think your education should be subsidised by the government.
    I agree with what you're saying. However devils advocate - there has got to be at least *some* advantage if parents pay their own kids school fees otherwise what's the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I still think the government should fund all students education at a baseline level. Additional funding should go toward those with the highest need such as low SES and various forms of disadvantage and zero money should go to capital works tiered funding or grants for non government infrastructure.
    Sure, fund the disadvantaged more in a sliding scale. If you go to the other end of the scale there would be no need to fund the top end.

Australia is one of the very few oecd countries that funds private schools. Not even private schools in USA receive one cent of taxpayers' money.

Should people who buy cars to use privately receive a subsidy for doing so because they're not using public transport and straining the system? Should we subsidise the same drivers who pay to drive on a private motorway instead of using the public road which their taxes have funded?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ra Ra Superstar  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. However devils advocate - there has got to be at least *some* advantage if parents pay their own kids school fees otherwise what's the point.
    The benefit is often the status which is why they send their kids there, and I'm not talking about using the local Anglican bc your local public genuinely is feral. We are directly discussing the elite schools. They also get the concert halls, pools and facilities. Again, that doesn't translate into better outcomes, but clearly parents that send their kids there think it's important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The point isn't how much Pymble ladies' college receive. They shouldn't be getting anything at all. Let's say if we average the fees from that school then it would be $20k. Multiply that by 2100 students and that is $42,000,000 a year in fees. A school should be able to manage on that annual income alone without over $8,000,000 in government funding. It's just ludicrous.
    Agree! What are they doing with all that money?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Just to grind your gears even more..

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460466886.917939.jpg

Knox grammar school received over $4m in government funding over the past 4 years for capital works 😱

ETA- they only got $3100 per student from the government in 2014 but still.. 4.5m!!!! I drive past this school almost daily and let me tell you, they don't need any extra facilities. But even if they did, their total income in 2014 was over $77m ...

This type of scenario I think, is the main reason for outrage that is highlighted in the original post and related article.
    Last edited by witherwings; 12-04-2016 at 23:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Networking. I know people who are sending their kids to grammar schools just so they make friends with the 'right' people. So when it comes time for placements or work experience they get deloitte or PWC because they know their mate Harry's mum is the CFO etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no I don't support Pymble getting that funding. They receive well over what it costs to educate each child from the parents, the tax payer should be responsible for ensuring each child's school is given what it costs to educate them. Not to add cream to build extravagant buildings and additions to the school. particularly when we know in reality these additions don't bring about better educational outcomes and scores.

In your kid's school's case, their fees don't come close to covering their costs to educate each child. Therefore imo it's fair the govt tops up the fees. But I don't support an elite school who is already getting around 8-10k a year above the rough 16k high school figure per child to get even more funding. They don't need it. We have public schools in disrepair, with no air con as you say, while elite schools are using tax payer funds for frivolous things.

I know that won't be a popular view among some. But the same people in other threads will argue how it's not the tax payer's job to support low income earners and they need to stand on their own two feet. So why should those same funds go to ridiculously wealthy schools?
    Whilst I agree with you on principle I disagree with you in practice.

all kids should get the SAME amount of govt funding per child, irrespective of parent contribution. Each child is entitled to the same amount of funding regardless of school attended.

Then the govt tops up low SES schools the most and low fee paying a bit too depending on their needs

I have mixed feelings on govt funding for capital works for private schools. I know my old high school hall was funded partially by govt funds and the rest raised by fundraising plus the school took a loan out. That hall ended up being a great social hub for the school. It was the centre of all parish/school events, hired out for private parties/events and used for various after school sports/holiday programs. But there was no way the school could have afforded it otherwise without finding.

I'm concerned that the many of these school communities would miss out if funding was reduced/eliminated.

you guys are aware that many of the elite schools offer fully funded scholarships? And I don't mean 1-3 a year. I know Brisbane grammar girls has 10% of their students under various scholarship programs with uniforms/excursions included. We've got friends who went thru on these programs and it worked brilliantly for them career wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well from what we can see,it is a sliding scale. Starting at 3k per child for the elite schools, up to 21k+ for the low ses school. I guess what youre saying (?) is the scale should start at $0 for the elite schools, up to $24k for the low ses. I personally dont agree, but I see what youre saying. I've said similar things with FTB & child care rebate, etc for families over 100 or 150k+. So I understand the point. I do find Sonja's point interesting about an education levy for high income earners.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (13-04-2016)