+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Post Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Let's remember this come election time...

Twenty of Sydney's wealthiest private schools received $111 million in taxpayer funding last year, new data has revealed, allowing the institutions to subsidise plans for tennis courts, flyover theatre towers, and Olympic pools with underwater cameras. The schools, including The King's School, Trinity Grammar and SCECGS Redlands, have offset parents investments through the public purse courtesy of an $11 million increase in combined state and federal funding since 2012, according to MySchool data.
    On Friday, Fairfax Media revealed that the oldest girls school in Australia, St Catherine's in Waverley, had won a battle to build a $63 million auditorium complete with an orchestra pit, a water polo pool, and a flyover tower for state-of-the-art theatre productions.

It is one of several multi-million dollar developments underway at schools across Sydney, where five of the most expensive institutions have received more than $92 million in state and federal government funding since 2012, equivalent to the total cost of building up to three new public schools

According to the NSW Department of Education it costs taxpayers $17,000 a year to educate the average public high school student, while taxpayers contribute about half that for each private school student. Sydney's wealthiest schools charge parents up to $30,000 a year in school fees.
    North Sydney's Shore school has plans to build a new sports centre featuring strength and conditioning facilities, a 50m multipurpose pool and three indoor basketball courts, while its neighbour Redlands has pushed through plans for a $46 million development of a "state of the art" performing arts centre and rooftop pool as part of a 20-year, $104 million redevelopment plan.

Just around the harbour, Riverview is drawing up plans to construct a multi-million dollar "retail and hospitality hub", while in the inner-west Trinity Grammar is forging ahead with construction on its "Olympic pool with underwater cameras and timers" after it received $31 million in public funding since 2012.

NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge described the funding figures as a "travesty". "If parents are wondering why their child sweltered this summer in a public school class room without air conditioning then the answer is pretty obvious, it was to help some exclusive private school build its new recital hall," he said.

"It is a travesty that while some public schools struggle for basic facilities, millions of dollars of public money is subsidising the fifteenth playing field or second pool for the wealthiest private schools in the country".
    It is illegal for private schools to invest recurrent funding in building works, but the public injections allow schools to produce savings in their recurrent staff budgets, and direct school fees and donations towards capital projects, where they can also receive separate dedicated capital funding from the government.

link

A little perspective, at the local state primary school there are 3 toilets for 75 prep students (that's the first year of school in Qld). We have only just had all the classroom's air conditioned thanks to years of fundraising by the P&C. There is no cooling facility in the assembly hall so it's not unusual to have 550 teachers, parents and students in there in 30+ degree temperatures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Another angle: if the government didn't partially fund private school students then the public system would be flooded and everyone would be screwed.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-04-2016),bezzy  (12-04-2016),cheeeeesecake  (11-04-2016),Elijahs Mum  (11-04-2016),Little Ted  (11-04-2016),littleriv  (12-04-2016),Radio  (11-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-04-2016),Tamtam  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Another angle: if the government didn't partially fund private school students then the public system would be flooded and everyone would be screwed.
    Goodness. .I'm agreeing with you VP!
    where I live. ..private schools popped up everywhere about 15-20 years ago. The government saw that these were growing in the area and that was cheaper to give funding to them than to build more public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with VP. I think "fair would be each student getting an equal contributiom from the government, then add more funding for disability,low SES, indigenous students, ESL students,etc. This is how we operate in SA. The article says the taxpayer pays HALF the amount for every privately school educated child, so the title is really misleading. I work in a low fee independent school, & we struggle as much as the public school does.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-04-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-04-2016),littleriv  (12-04-2016)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If the government didn't find private schools they would have squillions of extra dollars to put into public education and provide a more balanced and fairer education.

What you're saying then is that it's acceptable that one school gets a multi-million dollar facility whilst another school doesn't have enough funds to ensure the toilets always have soap?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-04-2016),mrswhitehouse  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    If the government didn't find private schools they would have squillions of extra dollars to put into public education and provide a more balanced and fairer education.

What you're saying then is that it's acceptable that one school gets a multi-million dollar facility whilst another school doesn't have enough funds to ensure the toilets always have soap?
    I see where you are coming from and I agree with you.

Yes, private schools probably do need funding from the government. But come on - why can public schools not get the same or even similar funding?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (11-04-2016),mrswhitehouse  (12-04-2016),PomPoms  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I see where you are coming from and I agree with you.

Yes, private schools probably do need funding from the government. But come on - why can public schools not get the same or even similar funding?
    Not sure if we are reading it differently - but the article says that public schools get twice the amount of funding per student than the private school (.... well actually it technically says the private school gets half the amount of funding per student ) This seems kind of fair to me? The government wouldnt be able to 'put more money into public schools'. If there were no private school, they would have to cut funding to the public system per student.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-04-2016),bezzy  (12-04-2016),Gentoo  (12-04-2016),Little Ted  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm never entirely confident the sources are correct in these articles. The smh article about the girls school said it was funded largely by fundraising by the school community. Seems like a lot of money to raise but the parents at these schools raise extraordinary amounts of money. My kids are now at private schools and I'm constantly stunned by how much they raise for charity and for the school.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Taxpayers fund private school orchestra pits and swimming pools...

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post

If the education was balanced and fairer then there would probably be less kids going to private schools and therefore less money to spend on public education per child.... I'm going to assume here also that the $30K fees per child per year may have significantly contributed to the flash facilities at these schools.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 11-04-2016 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This makes me angry and sad but at the same time it makes me proud of all the things public schools achieve with much much less than private schools.

I want to live in a country where education is equitable for all but it never will be.