+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for this thread OP, I have a ds in year 1 at level 8, I'll use these suggestions as well!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460452422.872369.jpg

He just read this to the whole family (including grandparents) and had us all in stitches- so much more fun than a reader! I'm so glad we've ditched the damn things.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Attachment 80240

He just read this to the whole family (including grandparents) and had us all in stitches- so much more fun than a reader! I'm so glad we've ditched the damn things.
    One of my DS favourites!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and I ditched home readers for my son in kindergarten, awful boring things! He reads like an absolute champ now. I bought him books related to his interests, Star Wars, Lego, factual texts (big encyclopaedia thing is his favourite and solar system), kids magazines were also interesting to him and he wanted to read.

I teach grade 5&6 and I collect footy magazines, comics, hair style, make up girly type and motor bike magazines (all appropriate content of course!) to entice my kids to read.

You our sound like you're doing a great job encouraging him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our kids get time out/ miss play time if they don't do their reading books that get sent home. ><

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm so happy to hear teachers say ditch the readers! As a librarian I have a strong hatred of them- but I'm all about literature not literacy. I was worried that we would have to continue doing both, as we already do heaps of reading at home and it hasn't seemed to have any effect on his ability to read himself. He loves books- I guess reading just hasn't clicked for him yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a teacher I would much prefer him to read something he enjoys and foster a love of reading than skim through something he dislikes and making it a chore :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    Our kids get time out/ miss play time if they don't do their reading books that get sent home. ><
    Whaaaat?!?!!!!! This is appalling!!! I honestly wouldn't cop this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Whaaaat?!?!!!!! This is appalling!!! I honestly wouldn't cop this.
    I don't! I put my foot down on that one. Can't say much for the other kids though. My year 1 is in a year 1/2 class and top of both years, maybe if he was struggling I would be ok with forcing them to read those stupid books (which the ones my school has are American btw) but my year 1 reads better and harder books and is doing fine. My year 3 isn't as strong of a reader but still does just fine, I have spoken to his teacher as well that I won't force him to read them. He reads his own books we have at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    That is appalling. That attitude from the teacher/school certainly isn't going to foster a love of reading in the children. I'd be fuming if that was happening at my child's school.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (13-04-2016)