Teachers please- a reading question | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Teachers please- a reading question

Or for any other parents who may be/have been in the same boat.
    DS (grade 1) is struggling a little with his reading. I don't think he has any real issues, he just wants to be able to read better than he can and rushes through his reader wildly guessing the words, then gets incredibly frustrated when I get him to stop to figure it out. His reading has stalled at close to where it was at the end of last year (I know they can slip back a bit, but I thought he would be a bit further on than he is)
    I think one of the main issues is that he sees the readers as something to just get through as fast as possible. They're so awfully boring as well, I can't hide my hatred of readers from him. I've decided we won't do them at home anymore, and tonight I got him to read a few pages of a book he was actually interested in (Andy Griffiths) instead, and he read really well (for his standard).
    Is that a good tactic? And any tips on what else we can do to make reading more enjoyable for him? I can't bring myself to have him read things that are a chore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Great work mumma. The whole point of readers is to improve reading skills and comprehension.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think what you are doing is great hun. I know alot of boys who struggle with reading as well because they rush and don't sound out the words. Definitely keep him reading something that is more enjoyable that way he doesn't see it as a chore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son (6yrs) doesn't have a problem with readers but he MUCH prefers other books. Today he read all of Fantastic Mr Fox (school holidays) so we won't do the reader he was sent home with (a book about the Victorian times in england?!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what my dd's teacher has suggested we do if our kids are not interested in the readers. She is happy as long as the parents take the time to sit down with their kids and read with them. So great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic, I'm glad I'm on the right track are their any recommendations of the sorts of things we should be attempting, or anything that he's interested in? Is the five finger rule used for readers or just for independent reading?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Or for any other parents who may be/have been in the same boat.
    DS (grade 1) is struggling a little with his reading. I don't think he has any real issues, he just wants to be able to read better than he can and rushes through his reader wildly guessing the words, then gets incredibly frustrated when I get him to stop to figure it out. His reading has stalled at close to where it was at the end of last year (I know they can slip back a bit, but I thought he would be a bit further on than he is)
    I think one of the main issues is that he sees the readers as something to just get through as fast as possible. They're so awfully boring as well, I can't hide my hatred of readers from him. I've decided we won't do them at home anymore, and tonight I got him to read a few pages of a book he was actually interested in (Andy Griffiths) instead, and he read really well (for his standard).
    Is that a good tactic? And any tips on what else we can do to make reading more enjoyable for him? I can't bring myself to have him read things that are a chore!
    You've definitely done the right thing. The main objective at this age is to get them loving reading and of course that includes them having choice and enjoying what they are reading.

Try different formats too. Even take him to the local library for some extra choices. No teacher is going to argue with you that you have to keep to the "readers".

Set a time limit or passage limit for how much he reads in one go and tell him not to read anymore...if he's really into it, the cheaky thing will sneak a read.

Another option is to use Reading Eggs as a "reward" or do up a chart of working through their system to work towards things, print out the certificates and display, etc.

There is also The Premier's Reading Challenge that can give him choice but also something different to work towards whilst enjoying literature.

We also love audio books in the car - The BFG and Matilda and two very well-read ones that we've enjoyed.

I'll think a little more about it.

For that age range there are easier Zac Powers that boys usually love. If he is enjoying Andy Griffiths he may also like Andy Roid, Big Nate (bit for older readers though), Geronimo Stilton, Star Wars easy readers, Lego/Hot Wheels easy readers. I'd have to know his reading level to give a more accurate direction with literature.

I'd also pick some books to read to him before bed or as "down-time" between the two of you. Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, C.S. Lewis, Judy Blume are some authors that jump to mind.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 12-04-2016 at 00:16.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teachers please- a reading question

Thanks so much @Little Ted! Some great ideas. He's at level 9, so while those books are right where his interests are, his reading is not quite there yet. I'm actually a children's librarian so I picked him up a bunch of books today at work- a few of the shorter Andy Griffiths and some Pamela Allen and Mo Willems (my absolute favorite!). Linking to PRC is a great idea, I think he will like the idea of a challenge. And I love the suggestion of reading for a set amount of time

ETA we'll have to get back into reading eggs, he lost interest in it back in Prep and now we've lost the password!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is in grade 1 and hates the readers too but like your DS he will happily read books like Andy's Griffiths Treehouse series. I read them to him at night and get him to read a sentence off each page and I'll read the rest. I'll choose the easiest sentence for him.

Now, after months of doing that he'll read a paragraph a page. And his reading is finally starting to improve in leaps and bounds.

He also likes the Hot Wheels books and Star Wars early reader books. And he adores the Wheelnuts books. I have much more success getting him to read those than readers.

Our teacher told us that the key is to find books they love. Get them to read anything they're interested in - even comic strips is a win if they're reading the words.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to reply yesterday and my ph went flat sorry haven't read replies.

Reading should not be a chore or feel laborious. In the early years the home reading program is to develop a love of reading. So if he's not enjoying it then stop and try something else which is exactly what you've done. Also evening reading doesn't mean he has to read, it can be you reading to him or him showing the book to his sister or just talking about a book he likes. Fostering a love of it with fun and naughty books is perfect!