+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 early and faint positive tests , irregular periods - don't believe the tests!!

Hi, I am 28 years old, no kids, and have not been trying for a baby with my hubby, nor have we always been careful recently.

I have today taken two pregnancy tests which were positive. However, I don't trust them for multiple reasons! This website says that the earliest reliable test should be done at 5 weeks so my testing was premature as I am only 2 days late for my period (which have been very very late and highly irregular in the past anyway). Also the second line on the test (which is the 'positive' indicator) was very faint light pink and also slightly more towards the left edge of the results window than the diagram on the test led me to expect. Which makes me think it could be a false positive. They were pretty cheap tests, 3 for $14 First Response ones (I've saved the 3rd one to retest in a few more days!)

Another reason I am highly sceptical is that last year I had very irregular periods and was diagnosed with benign ovarian cysts which made me bleed for 10 days at a time, have just one week 'off' then go right back onto a period again, it was awful and my periods haven't felt completely 'normal' since. This year however they have been regular, my last 4 periods had either 26 or 27 days between them. To add to that I googled that cysts can create false positive pregnancy tests too!!

I do have 2 mild pregnancy symptoms but annoyingly they can also be PMS symptoms! Before my last period I had bad cramps for a whole week before I bled which I know happens to many women but was not normal for me. This time around I also started having those same period-type cramps just over a week before my period was due , which I thought nothing off as this had happened during the previous cycle and I wasn't pregnant that time. However, I'm now on day 11 of these cramps and my period was due according to my 'new, regular' system, 2 days ago. I realise 2 days over is not much at all and if my period came tomorrow that would be completely normal timing wise. In addition, another PMS symptom I have which I don't usually get is sore boobs, which is a normal PMS symptom but not normal for me.

My trouble is that my system has been so messed up in the past that I no longer trust any of these symptoms. That unusual cramping for a whole week before my last period which was just PMS feels exactly like the cramping I have right now. Which makes me think that it's just my messed up system playing tricks again! I don't feel pregnant at all. My boobs are less sore than they were a few days ago so the symptoms feel like they're wearing off and it just feels like I'm about to have a period any time now. So I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to scare my hubby by telling him it's possible as I don't think he wants a baby right now.

It's too soon to retake a 'reliable' 5 week test, I think it's too soon to go to the doctor to double check? my problem is that I'm leaving Australia to visit my family in the UK next Tuesday and will be gone for 6 weeks so have no idea whether to make an appointment now just in case... my hubby isn't coming with me on the trip, and I just don't know what to do.

My dates are: Last period 13th March (last 4 periods had 26-27 days between) so say 27 days was my expected current period which would have made me due on this Saturday 9th. I started cramping on 1st April so am now on day 11 of cramps. I had unprotected sex with my hubby I think twice during my last cycle and he also pulled out once or twice, he didn't pull out on the 24th April which is day 12 of my cycle.

I do not trust these tests at all yet it has me worried about what I should be doing just in case it's true....... it's too complicated! Any similar experiences would help me a lot especially from people with past history of messed up periods!! Thank you

Last edited by Lancashire Lass; 11-04-2016 at 16:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They are positives.

If your period is late then the test will work.

Many work before your period is due.

Go book into a GP for bloods if you are not sure or want clarification. Some GP's like you to do a urine test there first so you can confirm that way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Definitely positive. Congrats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not faint. That's very positive. If you are unsure grab another type of test. Or a clearblue digital.
    This is my faint positive and there is one evener fainter but doesnt show on upload.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460357848.172184.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

Lancashire Lass  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the others, they're positive tests. Congratulations!

And for the record, they're strong positives too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suffered from ovarian cysts stuffing up my cycles including times when my cycles have fallen into regular cycles for extended periods of time. It is easier for me to fall pregnant when my cycle is regular and less than 35 days.

I didn't start trying for a baby until I was almost 32. However having been s3xually active for many years prior to that with irregular periods I had done many (MANY!!!) Pregnancy tests, usually the super sensitive ones plus occasionally blood tests at the dr just in case.

In all those years I never had a false positive. When I finally had a positive it was on the tests PP posted a picture of and faint like hers. She's 8 years old now!

I would be pretty confident that you are pregnant. Your symptoms sound like typical very early symptoms, especially if your breasts don't normally get sore during PMS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond everyone. I had no idea it was normal for the positive line to be weak - the picture helped change my mind with that! Thanks also useful to hear of someone else with irregular periods and cysts that it didn't create any false positives!

I have been googling that there is a high chance of chemical pregnancy between weeks 4 and 5 which would be right where I'm at now, knowing so early, and that cysts can form false positives.... I should really stop googling eh!!

I've booked a GP appointment for Thursday and will ask for bloods as I really need to know what's going on before I head to the UK in a week.

Thanks guys and if there's anyone else who has been in this situation please keep on adding to the discussion I will keep on checking back. Going to show my husbans the tests when he geta home, wish me luck I think I'll need it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! Honestly though given how few precautions you have been taking he might be shocked but he can't really be surprised - that is how babies get made!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, it didn't go at all well, as expected because our financial situation is rubbish. Abortion was mentioned which absolutely is not an option for me. Still hanging on my GP confirming before we have any further discussion.
    Last edited by Lancashire Lass; 11-04-2016 at 23:29.