Closed Thread
Page 9 of 105 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I don't class that as cry it out. Most babies will protest a little when self settling. If it's just a little noise, alternating with periods of silence, (rather than full on crying) I would class that as self-settling. I personally think it's extremely rare and uncommon to put a baby down awake and have them fall asleep by themselves in complete silence. Some do it, but most will protest a little. They don't sound really upset and fall asleep pretty quickly.

Cry it out is leaving them cry and get worked up to the point they get exhausted and fall asleep. And obviously not something you would do at 7 weeks - if at all.

You'll probably run into some very strong opinions either way on this matter - try to trust your instincts what feels right to you. If it's working for you then great - you're doing a great job!
    I wouldn't either.

DS never had a grizzle. He had a scream.

DD kinda sits and makes noises. She does cry though and thats when I pick her up. Her grizzle/grunt I just leave her for a bit.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Still in bed at 10:45am. And have no immediate plans to leave said bed. Oh wait, might get up soon to make a cuppa.
    So THIS is how it feels to have no kids! It's been a while 😃 Thanks mum for taking DD for a sleepover last night 👌 Don't hurry back now.... 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am holding a sleeping DD waiting for DS and DH to come back with some morning tea.

I am enjoying the silence of no DS....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I don't class that as cry it out. Most babies will protest a little when self settling. If it's just a little noise, alternating with periods of silence, (rather than full on crying) I would class that as self-settling. I personally think it's extremely rare and uncommon to put a baby down awake and have them fall asleep by themselves in complete silence. Some do it, but most will protest a little. They don't sound really upset and fall asleep pretty quickly.

Cry it out is leaving them cry and get worked up to the point they get exhausted and fall asleep. And obviously not something you would do at 7 weeks - if at all.

You'll probably run into some very strong opinions either way on this matter - try to trust your instincts what feels right to you. If it's working for you then great - you're doing a great job!
    yeah that's my thinking. I don't imagine many babies would just go from awake to asleep with zero noise. I'm trusting my instincts as you say.

I'm following his cues anyway. I can see he's tired, he needs to sleep. the fact that he's zonked out within a few minutes confirms this.

I'm not imposing some rigid schedule and then leaving him to fall asleep out of pure exhaustion after crying for 30 minutes.

he does fall asleep whilst feeding sometimes but I like to burp him a bit so he wakes up when I do that. if I put him down straight after a feed he voms a bit. so our usual routine is feed, play (as he's happy and alert and relaxed after a feed) then once I notice he's getting tired, he goes for a nap. seems logical to me and he's leading it so I trust him being able to communicate to me via these cues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    a bit horrified. I just randomly googled cry it out method as I don't know very much about it and I'm bored drinking my coffee here on my own.

now I'm worried I've been inadvertently using it!? I put ds down for a nap and if he's overtired/a bit cranky he'll be doing those tired cries "waaaahh!!" *snort* "waaaahhhh!!" *snort snort* then just conks out. I always give it 5 mins and ensure the cries are of the tired variety and not increasing in urgency or pitch and that he quietens down. if he keeps crying past 5 mins or the cries increase, I'll go to him and see what the matter is.

is that cry it out!? I feel a bit awful now.
    I would not do that to my 5yo and definitely not 7wk old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It's up to you. I personally never let any of my babies cry or even grizzle alone at 7 weeks but it was more because (a) I don't want to and (b) the crying usually escalated anyway. I was still breastfeeding to sleep (every sleep) until 12 weeks at least.
    This - fed to sleep till I weaned them. My kids have never cried themselves to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    This - fed to sleep till I weaned them. My kids have never cried themselves to sleep.
    This is me too. It's just not how I roll.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is me too. Dd has never fallen asleep crying but that's just my preference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would not do that to my 5yo and definitely not 7wk old.
    so your kids just fall asleep silently every time?

I am not leaving him screaming. he's tired, he's telling me he's ready for a sleep by the way he is crying (which I can distinguish from his hungry/dirty diaper/something is wrong cries). if I know he's tired then what is wrong with putting him down for a nap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    so your kids just fall asleep silently every time?

I am not leaving him screaming. he's tired, he's telling me he's ready for a sleep by the way he is crying (which I can distinguish from his hungry/dirty diaper/something is wrong cries). if I know he's tired then what is wrong with putting him down for a nap?
    She means that she feeds bubs to sleep.

And stays with her toddler/5yo while they fall asleep.

For me, my DS in exhaustion has cried himself to sleep but I was always holding/with/next to him. Sometimes he wants me near. Sometimes he needs me to hold him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (16-04-2016)