+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We considered it for our 4th purely because we were extremely limited on babysitting options (SIL was able to come in the end) but we really didn't want to. Our biggest worry was what if something went wrong. If myself or Bub are getting wheeled away, how does hubby consult with doctors about what's going on when he has screaming kids next to him. What if they take Bub away and Bub has to be alone because hubby is busy with kids and I'm in no shape to go with the baby or watch the kids. What if my kids have to witness their new sibling ax or their mother die? Or maybe not even die but have extreme measures taken. Sure hubby would take them away, but then hubby would feel horrible about not being there.
    I think it would be fine if the birth went smooth, but what if it didn't...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also think no.

If there are complications it could be very traumatising for the child.

Perhaps filming the birth would be a better option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I know my 6yo (at the time) wouldn't have...too long, too loud, too scary seeing mummy in so much pain etc. But maybe that is just my own deliveries!!Does she fully understand how a baby is birthed. Maybe if you are the type to birth quietly in a pool, my DD would gave been fine...but not for the "usual" birth scenario. You could always watch "one born every minute " type shows and see how she goes...
    She's seen me in quite a lot of pain before so I don't think the seeing me in pain part of it would bother her too much but I'm not really sure if she understands how a baby is birthed. She asked me about it when I told her I was pregnant but I avoided the question as I thought she was a bit young to know at the time but someone must have recently told her something because about a week ago she started talking about where the baby comes out. I might ask her if she would like to watch some of those birthing videos with me and see how she goes with that and discuss it afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Agree with PP have her watch some birth videos first (youtube ones that you have specifically picked, start with a nice easy one, work up to a harder one). Then see if she still wants to. I am assuming that because you're considering it, your birth/s have been relatively straight forward?

For me I couldn't do it. Then I have 2 boys... Just having anyone else in the room other than my DH and midwife/OB would put me off. That said, I have seen some lovely home birth videos where the siblings watch and it all looks just so lovely... And what a great lesson for a young girl. But you would want to be fairly certain it wasn't going to be a long traumatic birth,..
    Yes my births were pretty straight forward, no complications, tears or anything. My second labour with my son was actually really fast too, I was only in active labour for 2 hours and only about 5 minutes of that was pushing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    Is this for a home birth or hospital birth? Check if it's allowed at your hospital if ur birthing there. But no id not do it. Despite 2 perfect births before my 3rd was horrendous, i lost alot of blood, I couldn't stop screaming. No way.
    It will be a hospital birth. As far as I know children are allowed in there as long as someone is supervising them. That's what had me a little worried, although my previous births were pretty straight forward doesn't mean that this one will be but I guess if I did decide to let her in there if it started to get too intense she could be taken out.

At this point in time actually I might not even have a choice and might have to have both my daughter and her 2 1/2 year old brother in there with me as the only person I really have to watch them while I am in labour is my mother and she's been in and out of hospital herself for the past month (just got readmitted yesterday).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it's what you want I don't have an issue with it... HOWEVER if you are bringing a child into a delivery room you need a contingency plan. I would recommend having someone available to take your DD if things became too much for her or went belly up. If it's important to you to have your DH there, is there someone who can take your DD out of the room if required? Whether it be your mum/dad/friend/ILs etc? If you think she will cope with a normal straightforward labour then I don't have an issue, but just think about how she would cope if you had a massive haemorrhage and lost lots of blood, or there was an emergency situation and baby came out floppy, or you were rushed to theatre. If it's just your DH and DD there, would you cope being alone in a potentially scary situation because your DH is dealing with your DD?

I'm not saying any of things will happen, but you at least need to think about what you would do if they did happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post
    She's seen me in quite a lot of pain before so I don't think the seeing me in pain part of it would bother her too much but I'm not really sure if she understands how a baby is birthed. She asked me about it when I told her I was pregnant but I avoided the question as I thought she was a bit young to know at the time but someone must have recently told her something because about a week ago she started talking about where the baby comes out. I might ask her if she would like to watch some of those birthing videos with me and see how she goes with that and discuss it afterwards.
    If I felt my kid was too young to know where a baby came from, I definitely wouldn't be letting them watch.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (12-04-2016),delirium  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkpotato View Post

At this point in time actually I might not even have a choice and might have to have both my daughter and her 2 1/2 year old brother in there with me as the only person I really have to watch them while I am in labour is my mother and she's been in and out of hospital herself for the past month (just got readmitted yesterday).
    Would this not be a problem in itself? If things do go a bit pear-shaped, or your children are frightened etc etc, who is going to remove them and look after them?
    My children came it immediately after my 3rd bub was born and my DD freaked out when I stood up from the delivery bed to go to the toilet and bloody fluid ran down my legs - she's 13 now and still talks about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, having my kids there is like my worst nightmare! I personally would hate it. For me, my kids would probably be whining with 'I'm booooored! I want something to eat! MUMMY! Give me a cuddle!' Lol. My attention would be split at a time that I think it's ok to say I want it to be about me, and my baby. But if it feels right for you,go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    No I would never allow it. My sister in law nearly died giving birth and her baby was very ill when born. None of this was predicted and she had previously had 2 perfect natural deliveries.

Even with a minuscule chance something might go wrong there's no way I'd want any of my kids to witness something like that.
    This, anything can go wrong at any time.

My son was stillborn and while we knew this was happening I also had a massive intrapartum bleed (nearly 3l) which wasn't expected.

During this I was panicked and convinced I was going to die. I was having blood transfusions and medication to maintain blood pressure. There was heaps of midwives and doctors and it was incredibly stressful. It ended in me having a caesarean under general anaesthetic.

I would never risk a child seeing that and I needed my DH and sister with me not having to look after a scared child. I think in an ideal would it would be great to have your DD there but you just don't know what will happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (11-04-2016)