+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of good advice already in here. Easier said than done but try not to fear it, your body was made to do this - and if things go 'wrong' you have an experienced medical team to ensure the safe delivery of your Bub and minimise (or eliminate) your pain if you wish. Assuming you're not home-birthing! (Not that there is anything wrong with that, each to their own).

I was always told fear = tension = pain. So anything you can do to minimise fear will minimise your pain.

My first birth was horrendous. Well the last few hours (which ended in an emergency c) were. The first 15 or so were fine because I was 'in the zone'. As soon as I panicked, all hell broke loose and it was painful as.

My second birth was empowering. It was fast - 5 hour labor - intense - but I never once even considered pain relief. It's not that it didn't hurt - I just didn't register the pain - instead saw it as progress. However I did a lot of mental and physical preparation in order to do this.

I personally looked forward to both of my births. A little naive with the first, but all guns blazing with the second. If things are going to go wrong there isn't much you can do about it, so try think positively and focus on the end goal. And absolutely trust your body!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really good advice here, just going to third reading Juju Sundin's Birth Skills. Really great techniques that I believe made a huge difference to how I dealt with my loooooong 36 hour labour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes to birth skills, best book!

She also says that during labour you're have a majority of pain free moments. Completely pain free between each contractions! 😀
    I made a conscious choice of focussing on that and it worked wonder.

Grab a copy of that book and read it twice, you'll feel so empowered after that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (11-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

She also says that during labour you're have a majority of pain free moments. Completely pain free between each contractions! 😀

Grab a copy of that book and read it twice, you'll feel so empowered after that.
    It sounds like a great book but I had back labour both times so actually had no pain free moments at all.

Still, labour can be very empowering. It's the 21st century so even if there's no pain free moments you still get pethidine, gas and an epidural. It's like a party for one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    It sounds like a great book but I had back labour both times so actually had no pain free moments at all.

Still, labour can be very empowering. It's the 21st century so even if there's no pain free moments you still get pethidine, gas and an epidural. It's like a party for one
    I had back labour too for all births .

Still recommend that book.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (11-04-2016),sunnygirl79  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh God yes my last birth was back labour. Not pleasant. But that's where DH rubbing my back really helped. Still had the best birth using those birth skills techniques 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

God..Pain - free moments? ? I was ripped off big time!! 2 posterior bubbas here too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think Juju herself had two posterior babies?? And she took the peridural after a while.

So there's a long portion of the book spent on posterior babies.

Hopefully Bub is positioned more favourably this time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess I'll be going out tonight to buy Juju's book!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or you can download it from Amazon 😀