+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dreading labour!

Anyone else freaking out about upcoming labour?? I had a dream last night I was in labour and now I'm all anxious! I'm 38w tomorrow.

With my DS (2 years ago) I was induced at 41w4d, entire labour pains in my back, epidural which was fabulous and he was born 8 hours after they initially broke my waters. So I know this second birth had the potential to be VERY different!

I know I've done it before and can do it again but still wish it was over and done with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsABC For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    This will be me closer to the date (I'm 21 weeks).

I was terrified my whole labour. It hurt so bad. I had a quick 6 hour labour (from first contraction to birth) and screamed for the majority of it. I had gas and a morphine shot though I don't think either took the edge off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Breathe. I know it is hard to do but every labour is different.

DS was induced. He was a littke posterior and the back pain was awful. I had a 'fast' labour but I do think it slowed down due to DS being posterior.

By pushing time it took me forever. And I was exhausted.

I did not have an epidural or anything though.

This one was less than 2.5 hours from first contraction to baby being out.

Yes, it started off painful (contractions were really strong and less than 3 mins apart from when they started). But the labour 'flowed' and progressed better. And once it started my body took over.

I know its scary. I was trying to avoid thinking about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first labour was horrendous. Still gives me nightmares.

My second was easy. And my third exhilarating.

It's normal to be scared. I was terrified before each one. But breathe, remember that you've done this before, and you are going to trust your body to do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    It's normal to be scared. I was terrified before each one. But breathe, remember that you've done this before, and you are going to trust your body to do it again.
    It really is strange how your body takes over. And I had a beautiful midwife who just kept telling me to trust my body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was anxious in my second pregnancy about labour because I knew what to expect. My first wasn't a terrible experience but I ended up with an episiotomy and was keen to avoid this second time around if I could. It was so much better second time around. If you can get a hold of Juju Sundins 'Birth Skills' book I found it really helped remove the fear and replace it with some skills/actions I could take to get through each contraction. I have also been feeling a bit mentally under prepared this time as have had a lot of other stuff going on so have just taken a couple of days to slow down, rest, read about labour and 'get in the zone' (i'm 39weeks today).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there's a hormone thing that must happen in the last month of pregnancy. Every woman I know gets completely stressed out about something. For some it's labour, for some it's giving birth before work wraps up, for some it's something going wrong.

As for labour, I don't know what type of person you are but I find it helps to look for something that is unarguably true. For labour that would be that in a short time (relative to the 80 or so years we're all hoping to have as a lifetime) it will be over. It will likely hurt, it may not be pleasant, but give it a few hours and it will be over. And you won't have to do this again (not for this child anyway). Nothing else that happens can change that fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mum, appreciate all of your words My mindset goes from terror to denial that it's going to all be happening very soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsABC View Post
    Thanks mum, appreciate all of your words My mindset goes from terror to denial that it's going to all be happening very soon!!
    I was in denial during labour. And told DH I was not ready multiple times lol.

So I am guessing it is so totally normal.

And congrats! Almost there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the birth skills book suggested above! After using hypnobirthing unsuccessfully for my first two I tried this for a more active approach third time around and it worked better. Because I just can't relax and stay still through the pain, I have to move, and the birth skills book gives you many techniques to use. I banged stress balls and stamped my feet. Best birth of all three as I did it all myself totally natural. It was empowering.
    Birth is a challenge that you can and will get through when the time comes. Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (10-04-2016)