+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Meant to be

Deleted. Just read some responses and realise my thoughts and beliefs will upset some people.

ETA I've finished reading all responses and to be honest I don't understand the different between 'meant to be' or 'fate' or 'luck of the draw' and 'that's just life' type sentiments. It sounds like semantics to me.

Horrible things aren't exactly 'meant to be' but given most of the time they're out of someone's control or choice or understanding, or unfair or unjust or just plain devastating, what else can you possibly call it?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 10-04-2016 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I was told that when I miscarried my first.
    I miscarried my baby because it implanted low or was genetically incompatible with life or because it just happened

I don't believe there was a higher purpose behind it

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't believe in any sort of predestination or plan by the universe/deity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Deleted. Just read some responses and realise my thoughts and beliefs will upset some people.

ETA I've finished reading all responses and to be honest I don't understand the different between 'meant to be' or 'fate' or 'luck of the draw' and 'that's just life' type sentiments. It sounds like semantics to me.

Horrible things aren't exactly 'meant to be' but given most of the time they're out of someone's control or choice or understanding, or unfair or unjust or just plain devastating, what else can you possibly call it?
    For me, when I say things happen out of our control what I mean is that I don't believe there is a grand plan or higher power that predetermines what will happen before it happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As the OP....Can I just say that I asked this question because 1. I believe in 'fate' to a degree - a happy degree. I like the feeling I get that when happy things happen, that I deserve them. It could be a guilt thing because there is so much negativity in this world (pretty much everything mentioned, abuse, death, etc.)

Negative? No. I am a non believer when it comes to the negative. Why did my mother deserve to get early onset dementia and die an undignified death just last year after 10 years of suffering? Why did my abusive, alcoholic father not get that disease? Why did he get leukaemia and die instead? Trust me, I have my fair share of the bad and as a primary school teacher I see my share of the bad for others.

I suppose I asked this because of my 'on the fence' view when struggling to get pregnant. The FS tells us nothing is wrong. NOTHING she says. Then why the Fk can't I get pregnant? Why should I move onto IVF? I need a reason. Am I forcing something and making a bad decision? Should I make it happen because its what I want.

I appreciate your replies. Especially those that help me see different views.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprinkelle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I think when you have trouble having a baby, especially when it feels like everyone around you can do it with ease, these thoughts creep into your mind.

We started Ivf because my partner had a very low count and we put back seemingly perfect embryos only to watch them try to implant, then fail, or get further along and then die. After 3 in a row we absolutely started to think these thoughts, are we ever meant to have a baby. Maybe we just aren't meant to be parents. Sometimes you just have to look at your options and start trying something different and eventually something will work.

Also don't listen to anyone who says a pregnancy is not "meant to be" for you, if you need fertility treatment.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP, I can't give you reason, all I can say is that of having a family matters to you, take the matter into your hands. I suspect that if *meant to be* is a thing (as I said, I'm not buying what it's selling), ivf couldn't side step it anyway so you might as well give it all you've got.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 11-04-2016 at 10:31.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkelle View Post
    As the OP....Can I just say that I asked this question because 1. I believe in 'fate' to a degree - a happy degree. I like the feeling I get that when happy things happen, that I deserve them. It could be a guilt thing because there is so much negativity in this world (pretty much everything mentioned, abuse, death, etc.)

Negative? No. I am a non believer when it comes to the negative. Why did my mother deserve to get early onset dementia and die an undignified death just last year after 10 years of suffering? Why did my abusive, alcoholic father not get that disease? Why did he get leukaemia and die instead? Trust me, I have my fair share of the bad and as a primary school teacher I see my share of the bad for others.

I suppose I asked this because of my 'on the fence' view when struggling to get pregnant. The FS tells us nothing is wrong. NOTHING she says. Then why the Fk can't I get pregnant? Why should I move onto IVF? I need a reason. Am I forcing something and making a bad decision? Should I make it happen because its what I want.

I appreciate your replies. Especially those that help me see different views.
    Off topic from your original question but DH and I were given the same diagnosis by our FS. I felt the same about going straight to IVF but felt I needed to take some control over our fertility. I'm happy to say we fell pregnant first fresh cycle with our DD, and now also have a newborn DS as a result of our second fresh cycle. To me it's not fate. I believe without IVF DH would not have children. I don't regret a thing.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Without IVF we wouldn't have our son. He is happy, healthy, well loved and cared for. So no, I don't agree with anyone that says if you need IVF then maybe you're not meant to have babies. Especially when everyday you turn on the news to some horrible story about child abuse/neglect. Why are those people "meant to have babies" and other good families not.
    You will no doubt hear a lot of negative comments re IVF but generally they're from people who don't know enough about it.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's an interesting article, made me think of this thread...
    http://truththeory.com/2015/12/01/5-...-for-a-reason/

ETA- I'm not pushing the notion and understand and can relate to finding the whole "it's meant to be" belief hard to fathom, just wanted to share as I think it highlights the reasoning surrounding those who tend to live by the saying. I'm honestly on the fence with this one. On one hand I want to have faith in the fact that nothing in life is in my control (kind of lessons the fear and "what ifs", if that makes sense) but on the other I can't comprehend how such bad things (as mentioned in this thread) can be predestined. I'm not religious but believe somewhat in fate. And that people come into your life for a reason etc. Definitely not a hardcore believer in the examples addressed in the link, but do find it intriguing.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 12-04-2016 at 00:38.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Lovebird14  (12-04-2016)