+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My style would be boring.

I used to love it, but now it is just another chore.

I am over making the same old thing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-04-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (09-04-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Big flavor on a budget

I love slow cooked meals in my cast iron pot (I actually don't like slow cookers at all)- casseroles, curries, sauces and soups. I cook with a lot of cheaper cuts of meat and lots of legumes.
    Also love roasted and baked foods- baked fish, roast veg, pies, etc. yum!
    I'm excited that winter is around the corner and it won't be too hot to eat all my favorite foods.
    I like a lot of flavor- I will generally at least double the quantities of butter, cream, spices, herbs that a recipe calls for. And I loooove garlic. What the hell is the point of 2 cloves of garlic to serve 4 people? They may mean 2 per person. Oh, and cheese. I've never met a savory muffin recipe that didn't need at least double the amount of cheese suggested.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Big flavor on a budget

I love slow cooked meals in my cast iron pot (I actually don't like slow cookers at all)- casseroles, curries, sauces and soups. I cook with a lot of cheaper cuts of meat and lots of legumes.
    Also love roasted and baked foods- baked fish, roast veg, pies, etc. yum!
    I'm excited that winter is around the corner and it won't be too hot to eat all my favorite foods.
    I like a lot of flavor- I will generally at least double the quantities of butter, cream, spices, herbs that a recipe calls for. And I loooove garlic. What the hell is the point of 2 cloves of garlic to serve 4 people? They may mean 2 per person. Oh, and cheese. I've never met a savory muffin recipe that didn't need at least double the amount of cheese suggested.
    This is me too, on every count.

I slow cook in my Le creuset because slow cooker meals never work for me.

I use cheap cuts of meat, and do a lot of Vego meals especially soups!

I use min 4 cloves of garlic for every meal 😂

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My style is "I will get vegetables into this child using whatever wet dish she will ingest and everyone else will just have to deal with it".

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (09-04-2016),CakeyMumma  (10-04-2016),HeavenBlue  (10-04-2016),Renn  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thing is, you can do it on a very tiny budget.

I get a huge kick out of creating delicious food on a budget. that's more of an exciting challenge than just rolling into a store and dropping huge coin on pricy ingredients.

you can save a bit by shopping around/knowing where to shop, saving money on generic ingredients by buying home brand and making your own stuff.

for instance, I'll always make my own stock when and where possible. it's cheaper than buying the Campbell's stuff and tastes WAY better. what goes into it? 1 or 2 onions (super cheap), couple of carrots (super cheap), a few sticks of celery (cheap), couple of garlic cloves, salt, peppercorns and bay leaves (3-4) and chicken bones. if we've had a roast chook for dinner the night before, i save the bones and chuck them into the stock. if not, I'll buy a tray of chicken necks from Coles ($4) and roast them off with olive oil, salt & pepper then chuck those in. pour over with water, boil then allow to simmer for 1-2 hours.

this can be used immediately or frozen.

makes the most basic risotto taste amazing.

if you're creative and happy to go that extra mile, you can definitely create delicious food on a budget.
    I do this sort of stuff too. Because I have to, to feed my hungry mob. My 16 yr old, 6 foot son eats more than any man I have ever known. There are 7 of us on a good day and 9 regularly. So my budget is super tight.
    That and I don't have a proper kitchen. Just a toaster oven. A fry pan. Microwave and a slow cooker.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Depends what day it is.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't really know what my style is, it has evolved over the years I guess. I do love cooking though..... I find the chopping, slicing, stirring etc very soothing at the end of a busy day and look forward to these early evening rituals and a glass of wine, it's my "me time"

I now work full time though so these days I am a great believer in very fresh food served very simply on amazing plates! The plates can make all the difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prob classify my cooking style as a bit "health nut". I usually only make grilled lean meat or fish with either salads or veggies and soups when cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I do this sort of stuff too. Because I have to, to feed my hungry mob. My 16 yr old, 6 foot son eats more than any man I have ever known. There are 7 of us on a good day and 9 regularly. So my budget is super tight.
    That and I don't have a proper kitchen. Just a toaster oven. A fry pan. Microwave and a slow cooker.
    oh wow!! I'm impressed! ignore my previous post then, I reckon you could teach us all a thing or two! ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pre kids my style was experimental and technical. I had opportunity to go to good restaurants and I loved trying to work out what/how and replicate dishes I had tried. Most things I cooked required me in the kitchen stirring, turning and checking.

Post kids my style is one-handed, simple and trying to be wholesome. Preferably things I can leave to cook. I try to cook like the old me once a week or so.