+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe then just remind the kids of this? We have bedroom toys and playroom toys. Inside toys and outside toys. When it all gets muddled up I just nicely remind the kids "can you please play with that in the playroom?" Or "sand stays outside". Or something like that.

I'd rather know someone's rules at the start and always ask if it's ok for the kids to be doing X y z. Honestly it sounds like your guests aren't terribly respectful if they're not.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (10-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yea thanks i will. I think im just incredibly tired and silly things get to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    Yea thanks i will. I think im just incredibly tired and silly things get to me.
    Happens to all of us. I tend not to invite many people over anymore as our house is too small and with 6 people in it before we invite anyone else over it gets chaotic quickly.

I'm tolerant of most things but not food being eaten just anywhere but I'm lucky as my friends don't allow it either.

But yeah I've had some shockers over but I try and ignore the mess and deal with it once they leave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm yeah our backyard is non existent nor is there anywhere to really sit anybody. I think my problem is that everyone just sits for hours on end whereas after 2-3 hrs im cooked mentally. Ive had visitors come at 5pm and sit til 11pm. Ive even had some stay til later than that, family included.. I gotta admit, I really hate mess. Especially by other kids trashing the place. The way i was brought up was awful and i was constantly belted with objects if mums house was trashed when she had guests with kids.. We took the full brunt of it, so having a tidy house is embedded in me. My dd has so many things in her room but everything has its place and everytime kids play in there, her stuff gets moved around or lost (or lost eg:tiny shopkins) and she bawls her eyes out. Honestly when we visit friends I don't let them drag other people's toys all over their house and tell them to help pack them up before we leave.., I don't ever let them sit and eat on their couches and make a mess or leave a stain in the process- they sit at a table. I take them to their chosen sports, gymnastics, swimming, physio that i need for ds1, speech therapy, occupational therapy, help with homework, speech homework, cook, clean, and everything else. Dh works 7 days a week most weeks so its all on me. The last thing i enjoy is having my house trashed when im supposed to be enjoying the company but I don't even do that as my mind is just exhausted. I have insomnia so don't sleep well despite being tired and as its a large friendship group, it's exhausting doing catch ups as there is always someone's birthday or something.saying no to catch ups - well as we all have multiple children each we are all godparents to one kid or another so its hard to say no as they then say "how about a week/two/theee later"..
    Yes, it is totally pointless if you are not enjoying it.. I can live with the mess and extra work as I love the company...and it is pretty normal for families to stay until after 10pm if it's a weekend night. I'm a single mum,

Maybe you can accept invites for a bit, but not extend invites to your own house..If people ask just say you are really struggling with insomnia, sleep deprived and can't deal with it at the moment. Friends and family should be empathetic. .

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (10-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-04-2016),Sonja  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I haven't got a problem with the kids playing with stuff but play in the big playroom- I don't see the need to strew it all over the house., stepping on lego bare feet hurts like hell. Least if its all played with in one room im prepared for the mess there. Ive had matchbox cars, lego etc kicked under cabinets in the lounge where there's not a hope in hell getting it anytime soon, the cabinet weighs a ton. And the shopkins was an example- im not made of money to keep replacing things lost.
    Gosh! I feel stressed just reading that! Just trying to monitor that would make me not enjoy my night...so I can see why you are over it. Clearly my standards are really low lol. In my house the cars/lego/shopkins under the heavy cabinet would stay there until I moved house haha - out of sight out of mind!
    In my eyes, and it's totally understandable give your childhood, you are possibly setting the bar too high for your guests? As I said previously, it really does not sound enjoyable for you to feel the need to be so vigilant about the toys etc..and that's a real shame

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with @Sonja. We have playroom toys and special things are in bedrooms. ALL bedrooms are off limits for all guests. I don't mind continuously dragging kids out.

But I love the company. I know you are stressed but I'd love your social life OP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We frequently have our neighbour kids over and their mum is always stressing about the mess they make in my house. I don't worry too much, as I'm not the most domesticated person in the world anyways. My kids make mess and we all clean it later, so adding two more kids worth of mess isn't a big deal for me.
    My kids are pretty messy, my daughter is forever losing Shopikins and our toy room/storage area often looks like a disaster zone and we have no areas for special things etc. I don't know if this is due to my me not caring as much or because my kids are still younger. There is no way my 18 month old understands to not grab the Shopikins and run off with them. (Actually he probably does and does it on purpose anyway, he is super cheeky). Everyone assures me that it's easier to keep clean once the kids get older. I currently vacuum the lounge room 2-3 times a day, every day. Our lounge gets quite dirty so I am washing the cushions frequently. We eat main meals at the table but food often seems to get everywhere, anyway.
    I used to stress a bit but I realised that there wasn't much point. Just clean and keep going.
    We used to live in a much bigger house but it was surprisingly much easier to keep clean. We currently live in a tiny 3bdr. We don't even have a dining room, just an eat in kitchen etc. one small living room. My husband does shift work now, which means he is either at work or sleeping for a lot of the time but he gets plenty of days off. He used to work a lot. 7 days a week, 16 hours a day type thing. So I got used to doing things on my own pretty quick. My in-laws live 10 hours away and I am completely estranged from my family (for good reason) and 18 months ago we packed up and moved half way across the state so didn't know anyone. I have made friends where I live now but I'm not the type of person that asks for help. Usually the opposite. I'm always babysitting or running other kids up to school with mine etc.