+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best credit card for points

Hi, hubby and I want to get a credit card that will earn us points to put towards flights. What would be the best one? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.
    We would buy pretty much everything on the card and pay it off straight away. We're pretty good with our finances so wouldn't get into debt using a credit card. Been there and know how hard it is to dig out of debt so careful not to do it again.

Thanks! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

we've got the NAB qantas premium rewards card which earns us qantas frequent flyer points. annual card fee is ordinarily about $250 (ours is waived as we packaged it with our home loan however) so not cheap but we get so many points which we use for flights that it ends up paying for itself.

we basically live off our card to maximize points earned. then we pay the balance each month to avoid paying any interest.

if you spend a bit each month (I reckon $1k-$2k min per month or else it's not worth it) and use the card as I've outlined above, it's well worth it. if you don't spend that much then you need to weigh up whether the annual card fee is worth it.

we get 2 cards each with ours, a visa and an Amex. Amex gets more rewards points so we use that as much as possible and visa where Amex is not accepted/attracts a surcharge. it's all the same line of credit though.

we regularly fly on the points we accrue, even got 2 return business class flights from Melb to Perth at Xmas last year.

I love it, it's like getting something extra for just doing your groceries and paying your bills!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks turquoisecoast. I think that annual fee would be worth it. We would probably spend $2-$3k p/mth on the card. How long did it take you to save up for the business class flights? We want to get married in Thailand or somewhere like that in a year or 2 and would be great if we could manage flights for us and the kids without paying for them 😊

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on who you prefer to fly with. We got a Virgin Platinum Card to get Velocity points and also use the velocity card for fuel to get points from BP.
    We put everything on the card and I transfer money onto the cc every couple of days to keep track of our spending

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    Thanks turquoisecoast. I think that annual fee would be worth it. We would probably spend $2-$3k p/mth on the card. How long did it take you to save up for the business class flights? We want to get married in Thailand or somewhere like that in a year or 2 and would be great if we could manage flights for us and the kids without paying for them 😊
    well we did a heap of overseas travel in 2014 for our wedding plus paid for the overseas wedding on our cc. each month our bill was like 8-10k 😳😝

so that got us a fair chunk of points. dh also flies a fair bit for work (usually does an intestate flight/NZ flight once a week-once every 3 weeks) so he uses his qantas FF number and gets more points that way.

I think the business flights (my bad, it was 2 flights one way...we flew Melb to Perth business as I was 32 weeks pregnant and cbf dealing with cattle class lol) cost about 96000 in points. there was some crazy sale on so we jumped on it. had to fly back coach as all business class seats were sold out but the whole itinerary was paid using points.

look it takes a while to accrue, but if you fly in between that helps accrue points faster.

I think you can also do points and pay when you book flights, so even if you don't have enough to cover all the airfares, you could use whatever points you do have towards the airfares then pay the rest in cash.

the card is especially attractive for us as my entire family lives interstate so it's handy to have points to use to make flights free/cheaper for us. obviously it means we're tied to flying qantas or jetstar only but we've always used qantas for flying so it's no biggy

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by mummymaybe; 21-05-2016 at 14:43.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow mummymaybe that's a lot of points!!!!
    We would be paying a lot of hubby's business expenses on the card too so hopefully that'll help us get points faster. That plus fuel, bills, groceries etc hopefully we'll get some decent points. We go through a fair bit of fuel so if there's a card that has bonus points with a particular service station, that would help. Our whole family live interstate and we fly back to visit once or twice a year. That's another expense that would go on the card and help earn points. Not fussed on a particular airline, we usually fly with whoever is cheapest for the flight time that works for us. We would pay the card off weekly on payday so we can keep track of our spending and avoid interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is an ANZ card at the moment which is offering 75,000 QANTAS points upfront, 0.75 points per dollar, and no annual fee for the first year.

We're about to apply for one. I basically hop cards (and banks) annually, just before the next annual fee is levied, in order to get the latest deal and sign-up bonus.

Like some PP, we pay for as many expenses as possible using our credit card and then pay off the balance in its entirety each month.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 12-04-2016 at 11:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have just swapped our home loan and accounts over to NAB. By doing so with the package DH negotiated, we ended up with something like 250,000 velocity points. I'm not 100% sure on the particulars as DH negotiated it all and it's still in the process of being set up. Coupled with velocity points being collected at BP it's going to be a lot more useful than the points we were collecting through the Suncorp rewards program (that I don't even have access to because DH is the primary cardholder).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    We have just swapped our home loan and accounts over to NAB. By doing so with the package DH negotiated, we ended up with something like 250,000 velocity points. I'm not 100% sure on the particulars as DH negotiated it all and it's still in the process of being set up. Coupled with velocity points being collected at BP it's going to be a lot more useful than the points we were collecting through the Suncorp rewards program (that I don't even have access to because DH is the primary cardholder).
    We have just gotten the suncorp card and I am wondering g if it was a waste and we should stick to our Virgin one.