+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Establishing breastfeeding and expressing

My milk is coming in and to help get things moving along in hospital I was expressing and feeding DD tops ups with a syringe (suggested by midwives). Now that we're home I'm feeding on demand and I've stopped expressing. Should I still be expressing to help more milk come in? DD seems to be getting enough. She's putting on weight and having wet nappies. She feeds around every 3 hours apart from roughly 10pm to 4am where she feeds hourly or less (I assume this is her cluster feeding period).

This is all new to me so just wondering if expressing is necessary or if it's a good idea to do it and create a stockpile just in case, or if I don't need to bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If bub is having enough wet nappies I don't think expressing is essential. Midwives tried to get me to express in hospital with bub nr 2. It was a pain in the **** and cut into my sleep time. Midwives wanted me to express to make sure bub had enough. Ummm how about we just accept that milk doesn't come in for at least 3 days and just put bub on the boob when bub is hungry!

As you can probably tell I'm not a fan of expressing unless there is something medically wrong with bub. A big pain in the **** that creates more work for mummy .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    your milk supply should adjust based on bub's needs so they always get enough. the weight gains and wet nappies indicate she's getting enough so your supply matches the baby's demand.

if you express you'll over stimulate your boobs into producing too much milk.

if it ain't broke, no need to fix it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Totally not necessary. It doesn't sound like you have supply problems and you don't want to start making too much milk as that causes problems when you cannot pump one day.

If you *want* to pump early in the day so DH can do one of the feeds at cluster time, then that could give you a break. Only if you find pumping less stressful than cluster feeding though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Establishing breastfeeding and expressing

I agree with the above. I was always expressing to increase supply. If Bub is good then give yourself a break 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with pp's, no need to pump if your supply is ok. I found it easier to just feed DD in the early days rather than muck around with pumping, storing etc.
    A better way to get a break was to line up DH to take her away for a walk or something immediately after a feed do I could get some down time.
    I only started pumping when DD was 6 months & I went back to work.
    Sounds like your doing a great job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am almost into day 2 with bubs. I never expressed to increase supply. Yes, DD wants to feed ALL THE TIME but that is normal.

Once milk comes in I know it *should* be better.

As others have said as long as you have wet nappies then supply is ok and you do not need to express. Otherwise you will produce too much milk and that is a whole host of other issues...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for the replies. We were expressing in hospital as bub had low blood sugar levels and I didn't want her to have formula so was doing all I could to get enough colostrum/ breast milk for her. Now that it's come in and we're home I'm happy to feed on demand so I'll stop expressing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-04-2016)