+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Thanks! Yes my 2 yo is up between 5-5:30 too. And my 5 yo is not much later! They seem incapable of sleeping more than 10 hrs a night. Neither have done 12 hrs in their life, ever. 7-7 is a fantasy for me. Ha ha
    Could temperature and bedding be a factor? 5amish is the coldest part of the day. I cheat by having a thermostat controlled heater in bubs room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to update that. We're in QLD now. But when I had my now 2 yo in Canberra I did attend some of those groups and end up going to the sleep school! I just cant get it right, lol.

I think the problem, if you want to call it that, is that I start off with a newborn I want to cuddle and hold all the time. Thats what they need. And I never know how to stop doing that because it doesn't feel right to stop. I can never put her down and leave her to fall asleep alone. Even just patting she gets upset. So I wait for her to get bigger and naturally sleep better on her own. But by 4 months I'd expect longer blocks than this.

So yes, she had sleep associations. She has a dummy and is rocked to sleep. Then I put her down. There has never been a right time to change that. I just can't see how without her getting very upset. I realise all this isn't helping. But I just don't know how to stop. Sorry if that's rambling.

So I'm currently trying to get her asleep for the night, again. After a busy day where she's not had as much sleep as usual as she won't sleep in the car or pram. I've got both my other two to bed, because both of them wanted mummy not daddy. All I want is to sit and watch TV on my own for an hour. But she won't go to bed! Maybe I need a referral for the Ellen barren centre for her too.
    Sounds like a good idea, otherwise your going to go crazy!! You need sleep and of course you know that sleep promotes sleep which might be the reason for her restlessness during the night. I'm just about to have my second and I know I'm going to be exactly like you and want to cuddle all the time but I think in the scheme of things it's bubs needs that need to come first. And fingers crossed, in turn that will mean you will have some decent sleep!!! I'll be thinking of you xo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mona424 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks! Yes my 2 yo is up between 5-5:30 too. And my 5 yo is not much later! They seem incapable of sleeping more than 10 hrs a night. Neither have done 12 hrs in their life, ever. 7-7 is a fantasy for me. Ha ha
    I'm in the same boatx 12 hrs here would never happen. My 6 yr old is usually up at 5.30 as well. So now it is slowly but surely becoming the 5 month old's wake time as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just an idea. Rule out teething pain. I thought sleep regression but turned out panadol solved the every 1.5hr waking screaming. That lasted a week and then the rest of the time is mostly due to regression.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Completely understand you wanting to cuddle to sleep etc but it sounds like you know this is probably not helping. I'm not saying you need to stop - you need to do what's right for you. However if you're considering a sleep school then you probably know that cuddling to sleep will need to stop etc. so you can teach your baby to self settle/resettle, go down more quickly and ultimately sleep longer stretches.

It comes down to what's more important - you having time to watch tv/unwind (and some more uninterrupted sleep), or the need to hold on to your baby. It may not be possible to do both.

4 months old is pretty young though, I would probably look at other coping strategies and reassess in another month or two, if you can last that long. From memory I had the most difficult time at 4 months with DS1 in terms of unsettledness etc. for me it was the hardest time beyond the initial newborn shock. Maybe things will improve on their own next month...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Completely understand you wanting to cuddle to sleep etc but it sounds like you know this is probably not helping. I'm not saying you need to stop - you need to do what's right for you. However if you're considering a sleep school then you probably know that cuddling to sleep will need to stop etc. so you can teach your baby to self settle/resettle, go down more quickly and ultimately sleep longer stretches.

It comes down to what's more important - you having time to watch tv/unwind (and some more uninterrupted sleep), or the need to hold on to your baby. It may not be possible to do both.

4 months old is pretty young though, I would probably look at other coping strategies and reassess in another month or two, if you can last that long. From memory I had the most difficult time at 4 months with DS1 in terms of unsettledness etc. for me it was the hardest time beyond the initial newborn shock. Maybe things will improve on their own next month...
    Thank you. Yes maybe I should wait a bit longer and see how she is. I went to sleep school with my DD1 when she was 4.5 months and it worked very well but two weeks after we came home she just wouldn't accept the patting anymore. It was feed to sleep or no sleep at all! So I'm also wary of that happening again.
    So I do know what I need to do, it's just having the time to dedicate to it when I have my older two at my heels during the day and at bedtime. But I'll have to try and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    OP does bub have a comforter? Like a cloth or teddy one? If so use it at every sleep (regardless of whether it's in the pram or car, cot etc) and only sleep time. It can take 2 weeks plus before bub gets used to a comforter so stick with it. My babies both really bonded with their comforters once they were no longer swaddled.

Once you already have another comforter in place it's much easier to try and ditch another comforter. Still might be a few tears (to some extent if you want bubs sleep to change I think you're going to need to accept at least a little bit of unsettledness) but hopefully not that much.

With regards to a dummy you could use it to calm bub but then wriggle it out just before bub goes into a deep sleep. Tricky I know

I understand not wanting bub to cry. I think Timing naps right and having a comforter that doesn't require adult intervention to maintain are gentle ways to encourage longer periods of sleep.
    No she doesn't have a comforter. But there are several she's been given that I could start using. Will try that too.

And she often spits the dummy out during sleep, but seems to need it to settle into sleep. So I'll try to remove it a bit sooner. Currently her hands go to her mouth instead, but it wakes her up rather than settling her. She just wants to chew everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We just got back from sleep school with DS who is 8 months.

I think a comforter is a good idea. DS never showed any interest but the nurses used one of my worn t-shirts, which worked a treat. They also had be stuff his other comforter into my bra during non-nap time so it smelled like me.

It's only been a week, but he's doing so well and sleeps with both.

My sleep school wasn't big on routine; they encourage watching for tired signs.

If you've been to sleep school before you know the basics. I also grabbed the Ferber book from the library for support at home - which helped me.

Good luck!