+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default need help to determine semen analysis results

Hi everyone.

My partner and i have been TTC for a while. Obstetrician gave a referal for DH to get a semen analysis. once the results came back, we went to see our GP he gave us the results but wasn't confident to make any recommendations or tell us how good/bad the sperm concentration results are. we know they arent great, but we are unsure if the results mean everything is a complete washout, or if there is a realistic amount of hope.

The motility, volume & progression results were all fine, the only concern was the sperm concentration, results are as follows;

Sperm concentration L 7 x10*6/ml ( >15 )

If a good result means greater than 15, but he only got 7 does that mean this will cause big issues?

I see everyone is recommending menavit. DH was not taking it at the time of the semen analysis, but has started taking it now.

We contacted the OB/GYN who originally gave us the referral to ask but she is unavailable for a few days so her office is going to get her to look over the results and ring us when she is back in the office.

Im really hoping someone can give is some encouraging answers.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not a great concentration result, but don't stress about it too much yet. Menevit can make a huge difference for lots of men and so can making a few lifestyle changes. My DH's results weren't fantastic back when he had his first analysis either, He had issues with count and morphology- he was working in 50 degree heat, wearing tight jocks and drinking his fair share of beer and coffee.

He moved jobs and no longer works in the heat, switched to boxer shorts, cut his beer consumption down a lot and cut down to only one coffee a day. Coupled with the menevit, his analysis 4 months later was much, much better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your response! it has given us a few things to take on board.

It's amazing that a few simple changes made such a difference. I'm definitely feeling optimistic.

Thanks again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Barns For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barns View Post
    Thank you so much for your response! it has given us a few things to take on board.

It's amazing that a few simple changes made such a difference. I'm definitely feeling optimistic.

Thanks again.

No problem at all All the best, hope everything goes well for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If all the other areas were fine, there's definitely plenty of hope!! My DH had a low count, poor morphology, and poor motility. Additional testing also showed fragmentation so a lot of the swimmers he did have were dodgy. On paper, we had a very slim chance of ever falling pregnant without IVF/ICSI. Shortly after the results, we fell pregnant with DD - so as long as there are some decent sperm there's always a chance! We did PICSI for our second baby as we didn't want to try for years and end up with a huge gap. We were successful on our third round and now have DS.

It sounds to me like you have plenty of reason to be hopeful