+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in a similar place. We've been seeing speech pathologist since 9months old and Bub is almost 2. I'd certainly be getting a referral, sooner you get started the better. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would wait and see, like a PP said, but that's your choice.

My son is 3.5 and only in the last, few months I would say, has he started non stop chatterbox talking. Before that he was very limited and his kindy teachers were worried and I even considered seeing someone about it. But I instead made the choice to wait it out. Some kids take a little longer and that's okay. In my case he has two older siblings so I think he let them do the talking for him. But now I can't get him to be quiet for a minute, he even talks in his sleep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Balfour For This Useful Post:

felicia81  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS at 2 did not say heaps. In the next 6 months he started speaking more and by 3 you cannot shut him up. And his vocab is ridiculous.

Go see a GP and get a referral. I assume most take a few months to get into so if he improves in that time great. If not then you have appointment all ready to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After reading this thread it got me thinking.

My DS will be 2 next month I was thinking he was going well for his age as I am always around him & knows what he is trying to say, but had a friend over the other day who is a SP & she listened to him read a book & thinks he is on the average side for his age. He doesn't pronounce words correctly. As he only goes to Daycare 1 day a week they have yet to hear him speak & I believe this is because he lakes the confidence. I now have a few tools to use to help DS pronounce his words & help him improve is confidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDino View Post
    After reading this thread it got me thinking.

My DS will be 2 next month I was thinking he was going well for his age as I am always around him & knows what he is trying to say, but had a friend over the other day who is a SP & she listened to him read a book & thinks he is on the average side for his age. He doesn't pronounce words correctly. As he only goes to Daycare 1 day a week they have yet to hear him speak & I believe this is because he lakes the confidence. I now have a few tools to use to help DS pronounce his words & help him improve is confidence.
    That's one thing I've noticed recently, at first at about age 2 the words ds said were pretty indistinguishable to other people such as saying "yo yo" for yoghurt but now when he learns new words he is able to repeat them correctly most of the time. I assumed he just didn't have the ability at the time to use the muscles correctly and with time this has improved.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

MyDino  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Worried about speech

Quote Originally Posted by MissSparkles View Post
    We are in a similar place. We've been seeing speech pathologist since 9months old and Bub is almost 2. I'd certainly be getting a referral, sooner you get started the better. xx
    Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to see a speech therapist at 9 months

ETA: I'm just wondering what speech milestones there are at that age? My kids are 2.5 and 4.5 so I don't remember the milestones

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all, babbling is great and so important. If his comprehension is ok, personally I'd wait till 2 1/2. You can't judge a child's vocabulary based on the number of words they can articulate at that age, they're still so young and you'd be surprised how many words they understand. By 2 1/2 they should be starting to string two words together and pronunciation should have improved. If you're particularly worried, get a hearing test and a referral. He'll benefit from it even if he doesn't 'need' it. I'm no expert but I've worked with alot of 2 year olds, each with varying communicative abilities.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to see a speech therapist at 9 months

ETA: I'm just wondering what speech milestones there are at that age? My kids are 2.5 and 4.5 so I don't remember the milestones
    I was wondering same thing. My ds2 is 9 months and I have no expectations of him doing anything more than shouting and shrieking right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    I was wondering same thing. My ds2 is 9 months and I have no expectations of him doing anything more than shouting and shrieking right now.
    I think they help with feeding/food aversions/any other mouth/throat/tongue issues etc.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-04-2016),witherwings  (15-04-2016)

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    A few months ago I would have said not to worry so early but I work in the health services and I recently heard a colleague who works in maternal health give a presentation of the value of early intervention for speech issues. (I was particularly interested in the presentation as DS had a profound speech delay - he was virtually non-verbal until about 4, he has massive amount of speech therapy and we delayed his school entry because of his speech delay). The talk away points from the presentation was that the early the better for intervention with speech issues, as early as 12 months. It was based on a report that found the earlier the intervention, the less intervention was needed. The first step is to go to a GP and get a referral for a hearing test (I think you still need referrals). You will need to rule out hearing issues before any other steps are taken.

Best of luck

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (12-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-04-2016),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-04-2016)