+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are the carers pro-active in getting other kids to interact with her? Otherwise, could you maybe stay for an hour and help her settle in? I found when DS started a new daycare and I was doing his transition all the kids wanted to come up and talk to me, so I'd get DS involved in the interaction and then he'd happily go off and play with them. Not sure if that's an option for you, or something the carers could do?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I found DS (who is younger than your DD) started getting super upset when I was dropping him off at childcare. And he had been there since he was 1! It would be a combination of age, and they always seem to have issues coping a few weeks after starting. It should get better.
    Yep, DD struggled around 3 and DS is a few months off 3 and starting to struggle at drop off. DD had been at the same centre since 18m 4-5 days pw. DS is onto his 3rd centre, but been in care since 10m between 2-5 days per week - currently 3 days.

With the interaction, what is the age group she is in with? Some centres overlap the room ages as some kids are better with older/younger kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Are the carers pro-active in getting other kids to interact with her? Otherwise, could you maybe stay for an hour and help her settle in? I found when DS started a new daycare and I was doing his transition all the kids wanted to come up and talk to me, so I'd get DS involved in the interaction and then he'd happily go off and play with them. Not sure if that's an option for you, or something the carers could do?
    I have made 'little friends' at CC because I spent some time on drop off/pick up getting to know some of the kiddos that DS plays with.

I think that helped. I could talk to DS about his friends and what they did that day etc etc.

We also go through the days of the week. So Tuesday and Wednesday are CC days. We talk about what we have done that he can talk to his friends about etc etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have just been thru this with my twins. I went to the centre after a few weeks and made sure we set up everything possible and worked closely with them on things that might work. Eg: activities they love, books, interests to chat with them about etc. One thing that helped was they sent home lots of photos of them doing things at child care and i spent a lot of time at home chatting about the photos and the fun things they do there. Because it was my girls in the photos it helped top remind them of the good things. I pack a special lunch and i ask them to do things like draw me a picture while they are there so they have something to share with me. I don't find hanging around in the morning is helpful but i always spend as much time as they want when i pick them up So they show me everything they have been doing and it's exciting for them to share their day with me. We have a look and then go have a little play outside etc if they like before we go home. I think that has helped because during the day they think about what they can share with me. I use every ounce of excitement and positivity about it all of course.
    At first i felt like i didn't want to be one of "those" mums by going in to talk to carers but in the end I'm really glad i did. One day a week is fine in my opinion but it will take longer to settle in.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-04-2016),VicPark  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No tears today!!!!!
    I spent a good 10 minutes playing with her before I left. She wasn't even holding blankie.
    Feeling much better now

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-04-2016),Frankenmum  (15-04-2016),Wise Enough  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    No tears today!!!!!
    I spent a good 10 minutes playing with her before I left. She wasn't even holding blankie.
    Feeling much better now
    Fabulous!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-04-2016)