+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One other con with my 2.9 year gap is that I haven't had my body for me since April 2012. Pregnancy, breast feeding dd1 till she was 2 and falling pregnant immediately and now breast feeding again for hopefully 2 years means a long time without a break of sharing my body with another human being. I really miss my normal clothes and being able to drink properly - I'd be the worlds biggest lightweight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following. We have 4.5 yr age gap - not planned that way (we would have preferred between 2-3 yrs but due to circumstances beyond our control it was much longer). However I can already see some benefits.

My pregnancy was completely unaffected - I was able to spend heaps of time on my own doing yoga, long walks, meditation, massages - basically treat it like my first pregnancy (ds1 was at kindy).

I had heaps of quality one on one time with DS1 over the years. We had 3 overseas trips before he turned 3.

DS1 is old enough to understand what is going on with the arrival of a sibling. After an initial adjustment period, he has been a great help and becoming much more independent, so it's been good for him too.

I have been able to fully embrace the newborn stage with DS2 with DS1 at kindy - and next year school.

Also practically I haven't had to buy a double pram (DS1 was out of it by 3 yrs, prefers bike or scooter or just walks), haven't had to buy extra car seats (DS1 is in a booster now).

It's early days so will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. My brother and I had a similar age gap and I know my mum found it really easy. We played together a lot as kids until I became a teen and was no longer interested.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016),deku  (08-04-2016),Fi Poledancer  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Almost 3 year age gap here. By that age, we had moved past the baby and toddler stages and dd1 was able to fully grasp things, so there was a good level of understanding about having to wait, be gentle etc.

In terms of playing together, dd1 loved sitting and playing with dd2 as a baby. Once dd2 started crawling around and getting in to things, dd1 didn't play with her as much, but was old enough to happily play independently. Around 2, dd2 started actually playing, rather than destructing things, so dd1 is back to playing with her a lot more. She also has the patience to teach her things.

I can't think of any cons that wouldn't be applicable for the first child adjusting to a sibling at any age gap. Comparing to those I know with a smaller gap, I'm happy with how it panned out for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    This will likely be us - not by choice but hoping to be closer to 3 years than 4 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Omfg. I have a 3yr age gap between dd2&3.

Don't do it. Stick to 2yrs.
    Unfortunately ttc isn't always that easy. at this stage we have to take what we can get in terms of age gaps.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (08-04-2016),Clementine Grace  (08-04-2016),HillDweller  (08-04-2016),Sonja  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Omfg. I have a 3yr age gap between dd2&3.

Don't do it. Stick to 2yrs.
    lol, we've missed that boat I'm afraid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    This will likely be us - not by choice but hoping to be closer to 3 years than 4 too.

Unfortunately ttc isn't always that easy. at this stage we have to take what we can get in terms of age gaps.
    Ditto. I dearly wanted a closer gap, I guess in part because we would have liked a larger family and not really keen to pursue IVF beyond 40. I'm almost 37 now and dh 40. Sadly, outwith our control, if we have a second child we'll be most grateful.

I did read an article within the last few weeks however (can't for the life of me find it) advocating for 3+year gap between children. Apparently maternal & foetal outcomes are greater when there is greater than 24months gap between pregnancies.

On a side note, my older sisters are 'Irish twins' born 11 months apart, they have NEVER saw eye to eye and sadly now in their forties cannot be in same room as each other. I came along 4 years after the middle sis & get along with both.

I hope we can achieve another pregnancy & aim for a 3 year gap. DS is 22m, very smart, extremely articulate for his young age and we hope that the 2nd child can benefit from some undivided attention when he's at Kindy. Every cloud..

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Papillon For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016),Clementine Grace  (08-04-2016),deku  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing to reply later. I have a 3 yr 3 month age gap and it has been amazing! Will come back after work to reply properly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We're in a similar situation @Papillon. While I have plenty of time, dh is in his 40s. We want a bigger family but it's not likely to happen at this rate.

I read the same article I think. There is so many benefits of having a larger age gap in terms of easier to managed two kids as the older one is more independent. Plus it would be better for my career and finances.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 08-04-2016 at 13:33.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Papillon  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my 3 year gap. They play outside together a fair bit and DD is a mother hen and takes it a personal challenge to make him laugh. She became more independent around the time he was born which is great brcause she is usually happy to play lr watch tv while I feed DS and put him to bed.

Only con for me is that I sort of just got my life back after breastfeeding DD for 2.5 years and had to redjust to having someone depend on me all the time again.

I dont think I could have done closer together.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

deku  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found a 3yr gap more difficult for these reasons
    3yr tantrums are awful. Main reason
    I'd had good night sleeps then the newbie phase hit me.
    We were nappy free for ages
    I had to do stuff with my 3yo
    3yo nap less than 2yo (boohoo)
    They want to help (hinder)
    On different age routines

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

deku  (08-04-2016)