+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    My DD3 is 6 weeks old. She is a good sleeper can't complain. She is on formula and has been since a week and a half as my milk supply was weak. All three of my children were formula fed early because of this. They have all been great sleepers. DD3 is becoming more alert at day in her awake times, if say she has a feed at 11pm she will sleep until 3am, wake, feed and be asleep within an hour, then wake at 6-7am feed..She is waking around twice a night for a feed at this stage. I'm pretty happy with that.
    ez's night routine is basically the same. he's boob milk by day, formula by night. no idea if the formula makes him sleep a bit longer but I think it does.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much does/did your 6 week old sleep?

I had a great sleeper from day one and he would sleep 5-6 hours stretches but I was so worried he was sleeping too much so I was waking him for feeds etc. I stopped waking him at night at about 6 weeks and he happily slept right through the night. The nurses had me so convinced that he needed to be woken but if I could do it all again I wouldn't worry and just let him wake when he was ready and hungry. At about 10 weeks he started catnapping during the day but was sleeping 12-14 hours at night.
    At about 4 months once he could roll he was having 2 x 2 hour sleeps plus all night.
    Last edited by Fauvette; 09-04-2016 at 07:40.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    wow! intense!!!
    Not for me as its normal in my world. I'd get odd looks from Dh, my folks, my in laws if I left a little baby with anyone. I went back to work when dd1 was 10wks old and I regret that.

Besides. Expressing is a PIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    question: when you say exclusively BF, do you mean only boob milk or exclusively fed off the breast only? like did you ever express and offer ebm so your hubby/someone else could take over to give you a break?
    My bub was the same, we had to top him up with expressed milk for a few weeks because he was small but after that, he flat out refused take a bottle of ebm so couldn't be away from me. In the first 6 months i prob only left him a handful of times with my mum for an hour or two. Def going to try to get next baby to take a bottle of ebm once in awhile so i can have a break.

Expressing is a bloody pain though, I had so much milk and had recurrent bouts of mastitis I couldn't miss a feed or stretch out longer than 3 hours or I'd get it again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DS is 6 weeks old and I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of daytime naps/sleeping he's doing. whereas previously he was waking really only to feed, he's now doing much longer periods of wakefulness.

night time there's a fairly established (well for now anyway lol) routine, but days are a bit all over the place and depends on what we do. he doesn't nap for long in the day at all, maybe an hour, 2 max if I'm lucky. nights we can usually get a good 4-5 hour block.

he doesn't really have set time that I "put him down" and definitely no bedtime routine. not yet. I still think 6 weeks is a bit little to expect too much out of them in terms of routine. I'm allowing him to set the pace really. he's a reasonable sleeper though so maybe that's why I'm not too fazed.
    My bub was very similar and i think you're right, at 6 weeks they're still working it out. Around 6 weeks too I found my DS "woke up" so there was much more wakefulness during the day and he only did short naps and usually only while being held or in the hug a bub.

6 weeks is pretty young for a set routine, they start developing patterns but it take a bit longer to get to something predictable. They def do go at their own pace at that age.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    All 6 of mine were feeding every 2 hours or closer. At night we Co slept so feed with out waking fully.
    I am another one who's babies don't leave my side for the first year or so.

I am a 'go with the flow' for the first 2 years. No set routines. Baby led.
    After 2 we start with a bed time routine etc..
    It's what works for our family.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 09-04-2016 at 08:44.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-04-2016),Clementine Grace  (09-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    All 6 of mine were feeding every 2 hours or closer. At night we Co slept so feed with out waking fully.
    I am another one who's babies don't leave my side for the first year or so.

I am a 'go with the flow' for the first 2 years. No set routines. Baby led.
    After 2 we start with a bed time routine etc..
    It's what works for our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    My bub was very similar and i think you're right, at 6 weeks they're still working it out. Around 6 weeks too I found my DS "woke up" so there was much more wakefulness during the day and he only did short naps and usually only while being held or in the hug a bub.

6 weeks is pretty young for a set routine, they start developing patterns but it take a bit longer to get to something predictable. They def do go at their own pace at that age.
    all that said I've started watching him more closely in the last couple of days and am putting him down for a nap when I notice he's grizzly/getting over tired. whereas before I just assumed he'd either nod off on his own or was just crying because he needed food/to be changed, I'm noticing more grizzling now. I'm putting him down specially, swaddling him and putting him into a quiet room with dimmed lights/drapes partially closed. if after 5-10 mins he's still grizzly then I assume it's not tiredness and try something else. but so far that's working. also means we are getting more time to ourselves as a couple which is nice.

again, I don't expect this to be a forever solution but it's working for now. and I'm not imposing the nap times or trying to enforce any kind of schedule, more just following his cues. but I was allowing him to try and nap in public areas of the house that were too well lit and noisy and I don't think it was working for him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A&S  (09-04-2016)