+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    are you breastfeeding? we give formula at night. not sure if it's true or a myth, but I heard it takes them longer to digest it so they sleep a bit longer. who knows though, he might have the same sleep pattern on breast milk.
    It does not work for all babies (formula) so may not be that it is longer to digest BUT baby will not be working as hard or long to get milk from a bottle than BF so could just drink more formula than BM before sleeping so fills them up for longer if that makes sense?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016),binnielici  (08-04-2016),gingermillie  (08-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-04-2016),sunnygirl79  (08-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age DD would nap randomly for 15 min here and there through the day in the pram/bouncer/on someone. She would scream from 1pm-11pm unless there was a boob in her mouth or very vigorous rocking. Then she would pass out for a couple of hours sleep, feeds would take 1 hour, more sleeps and start the day around 7am. She was lucky to total 8hrs sleep in 24 hours and was attached to the boob for 12/24 hours (I kept a diary to try to work out what the problem was). By 12 weeks nights were 7pm-7am no feeds (still 15min naps). I didn't change anything to make sleeping through happen - was all her.

DS at that age was having 4x 40min-2hr naps a day. He would also feed 2hrly but only take 15min to feed. Nights he would settle for 2hrs 9-11 feed then 11.15-1am ish, then party for 3 hours wide awke then 2 more x2hr sleeps. He always napped well but didn't stop needing night feeds til after 2.

Both mine were breastfed with formula top ups.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 6wks.
    Dd1 - never napped much during the day unless worn. Slept 8-10hrs straight overnight then 3hrs again after a feed.
    Dd2- only napped in carrier or pram for 1-3hrs. Slept 2-4HR blocks overnight.
    Dd3- napped 1-3hrs during the day in carrier, pram and bassinet
    Slept 8-10hrs overnight straight then 2-4hrs after a feed.

All exclusively breastfed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016),AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh, I don't know how people remember. It's been a long time since my babies were that age but just know that what your baby is doing is completely normal for that age

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    At 6wks.
    Dd1 - never napped much during the day unless worn. Slept 8-10hrs straight overnight then 3hrs again after a feed.
    Dd2- only napped in carrier or pram for 1-3hrs. Slept 2-4HR blocks overnight.
    Dd3- napped 1-3hrs during the day in carrier, pram and bassinet
    Slept 8-10hrs overnight straight then 2-4hrs after a feed.

All exclusively breastfed.
    How on earth did you manage to get 8-10 hours? Did you feed them while they slept? Did they not need nappy changes? I need to know your secret

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I'm a first time mum and I just need to know that it's all normal. My baby girl is 6 weeks old and will not sleep in her cradle during the day. She will nap on me or in the sling but as soon as I put her in the cradle she screams. I try singing, shooshing, white noise, rocking, patting and she has a dummy for bed.

Then night time comes.... We have a night ritual and we have a walk, bath, story, breast feed and then I put her down about 7pm. She is grizzly and unsettled for about an hour. She wakes every 2-3 hours throughout the night.

I don't have huge expectations as I know she is still teeny tiny and I'm 'okay' with all of this if its normal but I'm just worried I'm missing something. Should she be sleeping more?
    My 5 week old is essentially the same. Except his Grizzliness goes from about 5-10pm. We are managing by carrying him through that period (had been doing similar to you with bedtime routine but it only worked a few nights, then it went haywire). I think they are still young and it could be a while before that first stretch of the night is easy and longer. I hope to reintroduce the bedtime routine again soon, you just do what you an to survive at this point.

As for bassinet - he rarely goes down in it. During day I am finding pram or carrier is it. Bassinet hit and miss overnight, I get maybe one sleep in it usually 2-3 hours of successful. All feeds overnight are 1-3 hourly.

I think what you're describing is normal and you're doing a great job. It will all change again soon, just when you think you've got her sorted...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much does/did your 6 week old sleep?

Sounds normal to me too. My DS would only sleep 40-60 mins a few times during the day but only in the hug a bub and occasionally the swing. Wanted to feed pretty constantly. There was no real "bedtime" he fed every 2-3 hours through the night. I think the first time he did a 4-5 hour stretch was about 7-8 weeks maybe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    It does not work for all babies (formula) so may not be that it is longer to digest BUT baby will not be working as hard or long to get milk from a bottle than BF so could just drink more formula than BM before sleeping so fills them up for longer if that makes sense?
    I second this - we tried formula t night several times with DS1 in an effort to have him sleep longer. Made no difference whatsoever. I think it would only help if you had true supply/breastfeeding issues. There are other reasons they wake other than hunger.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-04-2016),AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016),Sonja  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I second this - we tried formula t night several times with DS1 in an effort to have him sleep longer. Made no difference whatsoever. I think it would only help if you had true supply/breastfeeding issues. There are other reasons they wake other than hunger.
    Another one here who thought formula might help with sleep. Nada. Never made a difference unless I had a genuine supply issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Gosh, I don't know how people remember. It's been a long time since my babies were that age but just know that what your baby is doing is completely normal for that age
    Obviously still traumatised by how my 8yo was as a newborn! Can't erase the memory!