+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My eldest is a gem. Kind and loving. She just used to potter around me playing with her dolly. Completely non destructive. I'm very proud of her. I didn't have her in CC when on maternity leave.
    I know you didn't mean anything by this - just wanted to flag that those of us with 'spirited'? Children can be proud of them too. Maybe not because they don't break things or can play on their own . But when they learn a new trick, do something silly to make everyone laugh, approach another child to play when they previously shied away from such things, gave their sibling a cuddle when they fell over etc. There can be great pride in overcoming difficulties/seeing a little person bloom into a great little personality etc.

The way I see it spirited kids have so much talent and spunk it's hard to tame when they are young. But when they get older you're looking at some future leaders of the country and free world - Obama, MLk etc....occasionally things go awry and you get a Trump, but I like to think of that as an anomoly...

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-04-2016),BettyV  (08-04-2016),binnielici  (08-04-2016),Clementine Grace  (08-04-2016),Fi Poledancer  (09-04-2016),gingermillie  (08-04-2016),JustJaq  (08-04-2016),littleriv  (08-04-2016),Stretched  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Omg @cheeeeesecake. I teared up reading your post. What a tough time that must have been! I hope things are A LOT better for you and bub now.
    It was a very moving post. I think cheescake should be a professional writer though - great story telling!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-04-2016),JustJaq  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why do you think you're a go with the flow person?Did you have exposure to a lot of kids growing up? Large family? Looked after nieces/siblings etc? Is the go-with-the flow part of your cultural background?

It sounds like we (parents on BH) all had similarly crappy days and periods. Just that for some of us the bad smells stay around for a little longer. Not saying either way is good or bad and I bet there are complicated social and psychological factors behind each..
    Because not being a go with the flow person with kids is way more stressful imo. As an individual I've always been very structured - dh always grumbles but as a mum of a newborn - yep I go against my grain and go with it.

I do have a large family but I can't see what that has to do with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default 2 year gap between kids - VP and I playing nice

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I'm dreading outside excursions with 2! There is absolutely no way I could feed a newborn when out, and watch my toddler, at the park/shops/library/cafe, he needs me to watch him like a hawk. He bolts (towards roads), climbs to the top of things at the park and tries to jump off, can't sit still at the library unless he's got my full attention so I've no idea how I'm going to manage that!
    !
    I used to go to the library a bit and my eldest was a shocker for running off. When toddler was running around bub was strapped in the double pram (hopefully sleeping). When bub was feeding toddler was strapped in the double pram with banana bread and a babycino. When that ran out peppa pig marathon on the I phone came out. Mother of the year right there Most times I was able to feel bub and drink a coffee myself before toddler got jack of the pram.

My trick was to never have both kids 'on the loose' at the same time...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know you didn't mean anything by this - just wanted to flag that those of us with 'spirited'? Children can be proud of them too. Maybe not because they don't break things or can play on their own . But when they learn a new trick, do something silly to make everyone laugh, approach another child to play when they previously shied away from such things, gave their sibling a cuddle when they fell over etc. There can be great pride in overcoming difficulties/seeing a little person bloom into a great little personality etc.

The way I see it spirited kids have so much talent and spunk it's hard to tame when they are young. But when they get older you're looking at some future leaders of the country and free world - Obama, MLk etc....occasionally things go awry and you get a Trump, but I like to think of that as an anomoly...
    Yes I'm proud of my eldest. Exceptionally proud of her. We just received her term 1 report and parent teacher interview yesterday. She is kind, thoughtful, helps others and has good social skills. Besides her literacy and numeracy skills are very high.

She has had so so many external challenges in these past two years and she has overcome them all. Dh away, moving interstate, new sibling, I went away, travelling, starting new schools, making new friends etc

So every morning when she sneaks into my bed for a cuddle, I roll over, give her a big hug and then tell her not to snore.

VP I'm starting to feel like you are interrogating my words for the sake of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Interesting thread, following as I'm expecting no. 2 soon and there will be a 3 year gap.

I'm dreading outside excursions with 2! There is absolutely no way I could feed a newborn when out, and watch my toddler, at the park/shops/library/cafe, he needs me to watch him like a hawk. He bolts (towards roads), climbs to the top of things at the park and tries to jump off, can't sit still at the library unless he's got my full attention so I've no idea how I'm going to manage that!

Dinner prep for next day is a good idea, I do that now and I have to start dinner earlier otherwise it gets crazy in the afternoon.

I think the transition from 1 to 2 will def depend on your child. My DS fed 1-3 hourly for the first few months around the clock, there wasn't really "going to bed" so that's going to be interesting this time, I'm sure I'll don my sleep deprived Mombie persona again.

Subbing for any good tips!
    Enclosed playgrounds. I know every single one in my area and in other parts of Sydney

Most parents rooms at shopping centres here have a play area that is locked so kids can't get out.

I had a 2 year age gap every time. Mine are 7, 5, 3 now. I found just getting out of the house every morning was my sanity. Usually the mornings I went to the gym then the park in afternoon.

Cleaning is important but not my biggest priority. I managed it when I could. Kitchen was always clean after dinner but vacuum and mop once a week unless really dirty.

Keep older kids' routine the same as much as possible. I worked 2 days a week after all my kids were born so they still went to daycare 2 days.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (08-04-2016),VicPark  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It's not always a breeze. I can tell you horror stories of poo on carpet and walls. And of my eldest stripping off in public
    It's the newborn in the first 6 months that terrifies me. I hope we dodge silent reflux this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You know what, I actually can totally understand this. Though I don't think R&A meant any offence.Totally off topic. My child is "spirited" more full on than every other kid in mums group, couldn't sleep for anything and can be totally exhausting. Since he could crawl I've had to watch him every second. Could climb out of the cot, stack up toys to get over gates etc. I read so many articles that would label him a "bad kid" he can't sit still in a cafe , he can't sit nicely at the library for circle time. Daycare call him houdini and find it hard to keep him in the room.

On the other hand, he was the cuddliest baby, very rarely cried, was always smiling and "wide awake" looking for the next thing. He took on every challenge, still does, he'd tackle the biggest the thing at the park and climb straight to the top with no fear. He's just so excited and thrilled by life. He is and always has been extremely affectionate and endearing, very free with cuddles and sweetness. He started drawing shapes at 2 and he's almost 3 now and can write the entire alphabet and most numbers, he can paint faces and more complicated pictures than his peers. These things def make me proud, as he doesn't fit the mould of most kids his age.

Staring down the barrel of another child now though, I do think it would have been difficult to have an easier child first and then my DS, would have been a huge shock!
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 08-04-2016 at 07:01.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Yes I'm proud of my eldest. Exceptionally proud of her. We just received her term 1 report and parent teacher interview yesterday. She is kind, thoughtful, helps others and has good social skills. Besides her literacy and numeracy skills are very high.

She has had so so many external challenges in these past two years and she has overcome them all. Dh away, moving interstate, new sibling, I went away, travelling, starting new schools, making new friends etc

So every morning when she sneaks into my bed for a cuddle, I roll over, give her a big hug and then tell her not to snore.

VP I'm starting to feel like you are interrogating my words for the sake of it.
    No no no - that's not what I'm doing at all!.

let me clarify - Just wanted to make sure anyone else who read the comment about you being proud of your daughter didn't Mis-interpret/get the wrong end of the stick - ie thought you were saying that because your child is well behaved she is a child to be proud of (and hence a kid who doesn't behave as well isn't a child to be proud of).

I know you weren't implying that, just wanted to make sure other mummies with challenging kids (who may be vulnerable) knew that too.

I was trying to do it delicately - looks like I put my foot in it - sorry!

Parents can be proud of their kids for a variety of reasons - knowing their abc's, not knowing their abc's but trying their best to learn, personality, caring nature, ability to triumph over obstacles, independence, dependence .... The list is never ending.
    Last edited by VicPark; 08-04-2016 at 07:15.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (08-04-2016),Stretched  (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why do you think you're a go with the flow person?Did you have exposure to a lot of kids growing up? Large family? Looked after nieces/siblings etc? Is the go-with-the flow part of your cultural background?
    I'm a go with the flow person, and I would answer a definite NO to all those questions.
    Go with the flow is just easier! So much less stressful, less hard work. And no expectations I think is the big one. If I don't expect that my baby will sleep in it's cot at 10:30am, then I don't have anything to get stressed about when it all goes pearshaped because baby is unsettled for whatever reason.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-04-2016),smallpotatoes  (08-04-2016),VicPark  (08-04-2016)