+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I loved my wrap for the first 4 months, then moved to the Ergo...loved a back carry. It was so much easier for me.
    I had a koala baby with my second. I found doing chores with a baby strapped to me slowed me down, but it was so much better than doing nothing.
    With my third, being in a carrier while I cooked dinner gave me a hystetical baby...one who could smell breastmilk but not access it (breasts were too small so just couldn't get it to work).
    So bub would go in swing, and older sibling would entertain bub while I raced around like a mad woman and got dinner ready.
    You just do what works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wear the girls in my ergo mostly and keep the slings in the car for school drop off/pick up or quick shop dashes. Slings are good to feed on the go too. Tho now I can feed in the ergo too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 10 slings. LOL.
    All homemade though, it's not like I spent a fortune on them.
    -I had 2 wraps, which I loved mostly for newborns, but they were so so comfortable that I did still use them up to toddlerhood. Yes you have to learn how to tie them, but IME it only took a couple of goes to get it right. Wraps are the most supportive IMO, you put it on so that it cups your shoulders and the weight sits on your waist- it doesn't pull down on your back at all.
    - I had 2 mei tai's, which were very comfortable and so quick and easy to put on. They are the most similar to a 'structured carrier' that you can get, so IMO very appealing for people who don't want to bother with strange wraps/slings.
    - The sling I used the most was a pattern called a Frankenkozy; it was a mei tai but had ultra wide straps like a wrap, so that it cupped your shoulders. LOVED this sling! I miss having a baby to wear in this sling.
    - I had 3 pouches. Quick, convenient, good for toddlers as they only go up to their backs (no head support... although I think you can put a baby in there in a different way... I never did though as I preferred wraps). I couldn't wear these for long periods of time though because they are a one shoulder carry and I found it hard on my back. But they were good for school drop-off's etc.
    - I had 2 ring slings. I could never get the hang of these things! I just couldn't get it to adjust properly so that the fabric was comfortable and where it should be. And then of course they are one shoulder carries as well, so after all the effort of getting it adjusted, I couldn't wear it that long anyway.

Oh and I had a Baby Bjorn for DD. Horrid thing. So uncomfortable for me. Uncomfortable for bub. Don't buy one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got 21.5 months between ds and dd. My first was a much harder baby though I didn't realise at the time! Only now DD is so much more chilled (or maybe I am?) that I realise. In the beginning I felt like I was struggling but now I actually find 1-2 easier than 0-1. Ds had reflux, hardly slept and was very very unsettled for the first 4-5 months of his life.

DD is very much a koala baby - or my Velcro baby as I call her. It's only in the last week (she's 10 weeks) that I've been able to put her down for a catnap nap. Other than that's she's lived in the ring slings - the only way I get stuff done. I don't know how you'd do it otherwise. Ds is pretty happy to play as long as I check in with him constantly. I try get out each day and have kept up his activities. New bub just fits in with his schedule as he doesn't go to daycare. The only thing I've struggled with is dh can just leave the house for the day whenever he wants. I'm always attached to new bub breastfeeding and find it hard to get some time to myself since she's changed her bedtime from 7 until about 9. But this will get better as she gets older.

Tip 1 - get a baby carrier! Love my ring slings for newborns and also my baby sized flytai (mei tie).

Tip 2 - have a double pram and strap that toddler in. Feed in the parents rooms and let them have a play.

Tip 3 - try and get out of the house. Even for a 20min walk to get a coffee or even better to a park and let the older one go nuts.

Tip 4 - have a daily shower. Just putting my head under the water for 5 min a day and washing off the baby spew makes it so much better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sjk For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just read the original post. So adding my little bit.

The gap between my second and third is 2yrs and 3 months. It has been way harder than my first and second which was a 6 month bigger gap. But I think that's because my second is such a koala baby (now toddler) and always has been. She was BF until I was pregnant with my third. Would only bf to sleep and wouldn't let DH anywhere near her at bedtime. She did briefly improve after my third was born but now has regressed again and is back to wanting me to do everything for her, screams if DH tries to put her to bed and comes into me during the night. She's just very different to my first. What makes it harder is that my third does not like BF that much and just will not feed to sleep. Probably good in the long run to avoid a situation like number 2 but when I need a quick fix to get bub to sleep when she's cranky or we're out, I just wish she'd fall asleep on the boob occasionally. To be honest my second is driving me crazy at the moment. Looking forward to get getting a little bigger and more independent!! Thank God she goes to daycare some days!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and re. Carriers. I have a Manduca but have struggled to use it in the QLD summer since bub was born. She stopped liking it after a few weeks also. It's now supposed to be autumn but still ridiculously hot. I had more success with my second bub in it as she was more of a koala than my third and was born in winter so I could stand to use it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been following along for tips as DD will be just over 2 when my second arrives. Lots of helpful advice!
    Just wanted to point out that one of the above pics is of a cradle carry in a ring sling. This is not recommended except when breastfeeding as it can compromise bubs airways. Upright is always preferred. I've attached the TICKS guidelines for babywearing that might be helpful, plus a pic of a newborn in an upright carry in a ring sling.
    I have a structured carrier, ring sling, wrap & mei Tei lol I use them all in different situations, but the Mei Tei was my go to for the newborn stage.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460262848.857698.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460262889.193658.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found the ergo a lifesaver for my 3rd! I did absolutely everything with her in it. My second baby (the pooping/screaming/vomiting one) absolutely LOATHED any baby carrier. She wanted to be in my arms most of the time &would scream and scream if I tried to use a carrier,wrap, or sling. I had a swing that she would go in for a little bit, from about 5-6 months that probably quite literally saved my sanity! Even if it was only 10 mins, it's amazing how muh I could do in that time. I have size 10K boobs though - safe to say, I think it's pretty much impossible to feed in any carrier with boobs that large! I never managed to master it, anyway. So I had to be on the couch for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I had a 2.5 year gap between #1 and #2. I found it so easy. No issues whatsoever. I can't really think of any 'tips' as such, just that I continued on our life as normal; I made #2 fit into our existing lives, rather than re-structuring our lives to fit around #2's needs.
    This was all while having an undiagnosed ASD toddler, so I didn't exactly have 'easy' children, I just made it flow easily.

Then #3 came along 2 years after. My easiest child, but I found going from 2-3 so hard!
    I second this. We also had a 2.5 year age gap. My second is the easiest baby you can imagine (temperament-wise, her sleep is pretty poor lately), so maybe we were just lucky, but she's just fitted easily into our lives as they were. I imagine it wouldn't be that easy if she was a baby that couldn't be put down.

I think the second is easier anyway, as you have more of an idea of what you're doing. I found I was happier within myself, as with my first I had no friends with kids and got quite lonely during the week. With my second, I had a lot of people to see throughout the week.

ETA: i found synching their routines was a great help. Not so much for the newborn stage, when there is no routine, but after a few months I made sure they were both napping at the same time and go to bed at the same time. This saves my sanity!! Unfortunately this will change soon though, I think, as my 6 month old is transitioning to two naps.
    Last edited by quietlyhopeful; 11-04-2016 at 18:56.