+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Sounds like I am the only one that feels a bit wrong handling hot liquids/foods while carrying baby? The risk of me dripping something hot on his head is too high. So no baking with it for me. Even drinking a coffee is an awkward process.
    Why would baking be hard/ dangerous? Its just shoving things in a mixmaster then pouring into containers then popping into oven?

I do hate my current gas stove as I'm worried about burning myself from the flame. But my old place was an induction cooktop. I could make fancy, from scratch curries with ease whilst bub in an ergo.

In the 2.5 years I've spent baby wearing I've never burnt or dropped hot food on bub.
    @turquoisecoast - I can't believe you don't have a carrier either. How the bejeezus do you do anything??? My babies live in there FT for the first 6-8wks. Otherwise I'd be couch bound.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I have to go against the grain here and bag the wraps. Got a moby wrap with DS1 and couldn't figure out how to bloody well use it! Even practice with a doll turned to shambles. Tried to buy a hug-a-bub once and was scared off by the seller trying to flog a DVD of how to use it...
    I don't do wraps either. Slings and carriers for me. I've only got 4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just worry When handling hot things whilst holding a baby. Fat could splatter from a hot pan, hot steam could escape, I could spill something onto Bub accidently. That's just me, maybe I am a bit unco and a bit of a worrier 😂.

I can't do slings. Again a personal thing, just found them very uncomfortable I ended up giving mine away. The ergo is the most comfy for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Why would baking be hard/ dangerous? Its just shoving things in a mixmaster then pouring into containers then popping into oven?

I do hate my current gas stove as I'm worried about burning myself from the flame. But my old place was an induction cooktop. I could make fancy, from scratch curries with ease whilst bub in an ergo.

In the 2.5 years I've spent baby wearing I've never burnt or dropped hot food on bub.
    @turquoisecoast - I can't believe you don't have a carrier either. How the bejeezus do you do anything??? My babies live in there FT for the first 6-8wks. Otherwise I'd be couch bound.
    maybe bub isn't a koala baby then lol!? I put him down in his portacot or pram or bouncer chair or play mat (if downstairs) or lob him into his bassinet or cot if upstairs. there are times when he grizzles if he wants to be held and I put him down but overall it's not too bad.

I'm with sunny, I wouldn't feel comfortable cooking or handling hot liquids whilst wearing bub. I won't even drink a coffee while he's asleep on my chest. I don't think the risk is worth it and I'd never forgive myself if I spilled something and burned his little head. happy to wear him for all other activities but hot liquids/hot surfaces and babies don't mix in my book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    ok difference between sling and wrap??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand. I don't deep fry or cook things that might splash up hot oil. I tend to cook things in deep dishes that won't spill and use the back burner for added safety.

With steam - always open saucepan away from you.

I've gotten so adept at cooking/baking carrying a baby that I made/decorated a salted caramel mud cake for hubby in one yesterday. Even made cashew praline shards this morning for the cake wearing my dd3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2 year gap between kids - VP and I playing nice

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ok difference between sling and wrap??
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460241216.213715.jpg

This is a wrap. So it's a long unstructured piece of fabric (hug a bub, moby are stretchy wraps and great for newborn up to around 5-6 months then a more rigid fabric is used).

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1460241278.079463.jpg

This is a sling, a ring sling specifically. It is one piece you pop it over your shoulder and pop bub in. With newborns you must be careful of their positioning as they're little chins can sit on their chest and cause breathing issues.

I always used wraps with DS2 and ten latter a SSC (soft structured carrier - ergo, manduca, tula etc...).

DS2 could not be put down. He did not grizzle he went from calm in my arms to hysterical within 10 seconds of being put down - red face, gagging and vomiting within 1 minute.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 2 year gap between kids - VP and I playing nice

ahhhh thank you!! far out, I need to study up on the world of baby carriers 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    ahhhh thank you!! far out, I need to study up on the world of baby carriers 😂
    And pray that he actually likes it and you feel comfortable too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe bub isn't a koala baby then lol!? I put him down in his portacot or pram or bouncer chair or play mat (if downstairs) or lob him into his bassinet or cot if upstairs. there are times when he grizzles if he wants to be held and I put him down but overall it's not too bad.

I'm with sunny, I wouldn't feel comfortable cooking or handling hot liquids whilst wearing bub. I won't even drink a coffee while he's asleep on my chest. I don't think the risk is worth it and I'd never forgive myself if I spilled something and burned his little head. happy to wear him for all other activities but hot liquids/hot surfaces and babies don't mix in my book.
    Yep your bub is not a koala baby. Koala babies need to held constantly. As in 24/7. They sleep on you, they scream if put down. They are only happy if they can hear your heartbeat.

After 3X kids and wearing all of then almost FT for the first 6mths I'm not worried. Even as a newbie I never dropped or splashed hot liquids on them.

See I had 2 choices in the beginning. Starve or cook with bub. No way I was going to let them be upset so I got very good at doing things with bub.

Dd3 was 5-6 weeks old and I catered for her christening. 75ppl and I cooked everything plus made/decorated the cake. Dd3 was 7wks old and I did the same for my nieces christening of 55ppl.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-04-2016),Mokeybear  (10-04-2016),turquoisecoast  (10-04-2016)