+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kinder/school question

I have over 15 years as an educator at primary and tertiary levels and I have no idea whether to keep DS back for another year of kinder.

He's born in January and is there academically but I don't think he is ready emotionally at all. He holds back in group settings, is clingy and struggles a lot with hello and goodbye with people. His teacher said he could go either way and he should be ok but another year wouldn't do him any harm either.

He has another 3 terms until next year but we are meant to decide now whether he gets pulled out of 4yo kinder so he's funded for next if we want him to do another year. I'm very reluctant to pull him out as I feel
    he's just started to find his feet. Another option is we keep him in regardless and just pay for kinder - does anyone have any idea of how much kinder costs are in Victoria?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is an end of Feb baby and he could have gone either way, too. He's in grade 1 now and I can see that he is a little behind his peers in terms of emotional intelligence and being able to concentrate, follow instructions etc. it's not a massive difference though and not of particular concern to us or his teachers. In a lot of ways he's just a daydreamy child and I don't think it would have mattered if he stayed back a year, as he would still be vague and a little childish- that's just who he is.
    IMO, whichever way you choose to go, it's not likely going to be a life changing decision. Honestly, if it was going to be a hassle to do another year of 4 yo kinder, or you think he'Ll be really bored this year without it, I would send him next year.
    And there's my completely unprofessional 2 cents

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    DS is an end of Feb baby and he could have gone either way, too. He's in grade 1 now and I can see that he is a little behind his peers in terms of emotional intelligence and being able to concentrate, follow instructions etc. it's not a massive difference though and not of particular concern to us or his teachers. In a lot of ways he's just a daydreamy child and I don't think it would have mattered if he stayed back a year, as he would still be vague and a little childish- that's just who he is.
    IMO, whichever way you choose to go, it's not likely going to be a life changing decision. Honestly, if it was going to be a hassle to do another year of 4 yo kinder, or you think he'Ll be really bored this year without it, I would send him next year.
    And there's my completely unprofessional 2 cents
    Agree! My son is also one of the young ones (2 weeks from cut off) and could also be described as vague and daydreamy. That wouldn't have changed if we had kept him back. He is in yr 2 now and doing really well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got this exact dilemma!! My DS2 is a 10th Feb babe and I'm in two minds! I've been teaching for 13 years I thought it would be easy. Part of me says yes he's ready but another part screams no don't do it he will be behind the eight ball from the start. Argh the stress! My other two are August and September babies so don't even have to think twice 😁

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should have been kept back for a year, it would have done wonders for me. I'm at the end of November (in the olden days it was calendar year) and back then there seemed to be a lot of kids repeating a year, probably more than now. I would be more concerned about his emotional wellbeing seeing his friends move on and not him.

You're experienced and his mum, so follow your gut.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-04-2016)