+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD Help regarding daycare

Hi everyone....

I have a big decision to make regarding daycare and I am just after some opinions.

I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old. My older son has been going to daycare this year two days a week. I unexpectedly got a part time job starting next week. My work days are the total opposite to the daycare days, and there was no possibility of swapping them or getting a place for my younger so we withdrew him and we are set to start new daycare for both boys next week. We have done a lot of talking about it and have done a few orientations at the new daycare.

I got a call this morning to say that someone pulled out of his old daycare and I would be able to get the days I wanted. But there is no place at his old daycare for my baby.

I'm sort of at a loss at what to do about it.

Do I keep the original plan and take the boys the new daycare or do I do two drop offs and start my baby at the new daycare and put my older son in the old daycare.

My husband just said he supports whatever i decide 😫

Just a note.... The old daycare is in the private school my sons will go to eventually.

Any advice would be great :-)

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WWYD Help regarding daycare

If it were my family I would probably just start both at the new one, no real reasons other than he's done a few orientations, it will be much easier to manage one drop off/ pick up etc. would the old daycare eventually have a position for your younger child?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

You're in a real predicament!

I think it comes down to if you're prepared to do two drop offs etc.... But it sounds like you are. Maybe ask the old daycare how long it might be to get your younger son in as you really want them at the same place and you're wanting long term care for them both. At the centre I run, we would try even harder getting the younger one in to help you out and even more so to know that they would more than likely stay till they move onto kinder etc....who knows it might not be for very long and they are at the same place.

The hardest bit might be getting the younger one re-settled if they move but some children cope well with that.

So in theory my choice would be you go back to the old centre for your older child and start at the new one for the younger one till a spot arrives at the first centre 😊

Good luck !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tassiewife For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there is a possibility of your younger one getting in to the old childcare in the near future then I would keep your older son in the old daycare and put the younger one in the new for now. But 2 drop offs and working on those days will be hard! I find it hard at the moment taking both boys to the same centre and I'm always late to work (thankfully I can get away with it). I personally think it's important to have siblings in the same centre. My boys love catching up in the playground for a cuddle or occasionally having "family lunch" together in the preschool room. (My boys are 2.5 and 4.5)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. There won't be a spot for my younger son at the centre until next year. :-( I don't know want to do

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Go where both boys can be at the same facility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two drop offs sucks! Last year DD was at the school's OSHC and DS at daycare. This year DD is at a new school and the local daycare (where DS goes) does the OSHC. The 2 drops theoretically shouldn't have been that bad since OSHC was right near home and daycare right near work, so not majorly out of the way. However you have to get the other child out at the first drop off/2nd pick up and they want to explore as everything is different to where they go and by the time you finally gather everything for the child you are picking up the other one has become engrossed in something. Drop offs/pick ups are long enough, much quicker now both kids are at the same place. Also, my older one is a huge help with DS's separation anxiety at drop off. She hasn't been going during school holidays (but he has) and he's a screaming mess every morning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How far away are the daycares from each other? I do two drop offs and I actually dont mind it, but DDs preschool and their daycare are only 7-10 minutes apart.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    as a day care worker i would recommend keeping them together at the same centre. It can aid in settling upset children if they have access to their siblings (something familiar to them).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (07-04-2016),witherwings  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would definitely go with the new daycare for sure, both kids together, and the days you need, and you start work next week.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

mrsboyts  (08-04-2016)