+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing doctors while pregnant

Hi all,

I have just joined and this is my first post. I would like some advice regarding my experience with the doctor who I have started seeing.

I am 26 years old and around 7 weeks pregnant (my first one and I'm over the moon!).
    Last month when I realised my period was late and i was getting terrible cramping it happened to be on a sunday and my usual doctor wasn't open. So I went to a medical clinic which was open and found out I was pregnant and he got the ball rolling with an initial blood test, then the pregnancy screening blood test. I went back to this doctor yesterday to get my blood screen result (all good) and he printed me off a referral to the antenatal clinic at the local public hospital, gave me a phone number and told me to call asap to make an appointment. During the consult I also asked when I could expect an ultrasound. He told me that he will send me at 12 weeks and I don't need one beforehand. I told him that I was quite nervous/ excited and as I have still been experiencing cramping, it would give me peace of mind to see that all is as it should be. I also didn't know the exact date of my last period. My friends all had a scan prior to 12 weeks and I was expecting one any time soon. But no, he was adamant that I do not need one and to come back when I'm 12 weeks along to get an ultrasound referral from him. So I left a little disappointed, but was excited to ring the antenatal clinic to book in an appointment.

The number he gave me was disconnected. (And had been for 5 years, I later found out).
    After I managed to google the correct phone number for the pregnancy care department at the hosptial I was told that my Doctor should have faxed the referral sheets directly to the hospital and I should not have them in my possession. I asked if I could make an appointment anyway and was told that the hospital schedules the appointments for when im 14-16 weeks and then mails the details out to me. She asked who my doctor was and told me the information he had given me was completely wrong and she told me to bring to referral directly to the hospital. Then I had to explain everything again to the girls at the front desk who took the paperwork. One massive drama.

So after that whole experience I feel like he had no idea what he's doing and I don't feel comfortable having him take care of me during the pregnancy.

Will it be too difficult if I start using my regular doctor? (I've heard that he can get a bit funny if people see other doctors) Will it cause too many problems because the previous doctor has all my results thus far and his name is on the referral to the antenatal clinic?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's any drama at all seeing another doctor. If there is another doctor you prefer just book in with them, explain your situation to date and ask for a dating scan. They can then sort out any referrals you need. With my first pregnancy I had to change doctors second trimester as we moved interstate. Depending on the model of care you choose its the hospital that does all your appointments once you've had your initial hospital appt anyway. Any doctor can order blood tests and scans etc for you, it doesn't need to be the same one. However be aware that an official dating scan may alter your due date.

If you're going private you only need a doc for initial referral and then never have to see them again as your OB will do all the blood tests/scan referrals. Most OBs will scan in their office before 12 weeks anyway - I had scans at both 6 and 7 weeks because I was worried.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing doctors while pregnant

Quote Originally Posted by amy90 View Post
    Hi all,

I have just joined and this is my first post. I would like some advice regarding my experience with the doctor who I have started seeing.

I am 26 years old and around 7 weeks pregnant (my first one and I'm over the moon!).
    Last month when I realised my period was late and i was getting terrible cramping it happened to be on a sunday and my usual doctor wasn't open. So I went to a medical clinic which was open and found out I was pregnant and he got the ball rolling with an initial blood test, then the pregnancy screening blood test. I went back to this doctor yesterday to get my blood screen result (all good) and he printed me off a referral to the antenatal clinic at the local public hospital, gave me a phone number and told me to call asap to make an appointment. During the consult I also asked when I could expect an ultrasound. He told me that he will send me at 12 weeks and I don't need one beforehand. I told him that I was quite nervous/ excited and as I have still been experiencing cramping, it would give me peace of mind to see that all is as it should be. I also didn't know the exact date of my last period. My friends all had a scan prior to 12 weeks and I was expecting one any time soon. But no, he was adamant that I do not need one and to come back when I'm 12 weeks along to get an ultrasound referral from him. So I left a little disappointed, but was excited to ring the antenatal clinic to book in an appointment.

The number he gave me was disconnected. (And had been for 5 years, I later found out).
    After I managed to google the correct phone number for the pregnancy care department at the hosptial I was told that my Doctor should have faxed the referral sheets directly to the hospital and I should not have them in my possession. I asked if I could make an appointment anyway and was told that the hospital schedules the appointments for when im 14-16 weeks and then mails the details out to me. She asked who my doctor was and told me the information he had given me was completely wrong and she told me to bring to referral directly to the hospital. Then I had to explain everything again to the girls at the front desk who took the paperwork. One massive drama.

So after that whole experience I feel like he had no idea what he's doing and I don't feel comfortable having him take care of me during the pregnancy.

Will it be too difficult if I start using my regular doctor? (I've heard that he can get a bit funny if people see other doctors) Will it cause too many problems because the previous doctor has all my results thus far and his name is on the referral to the antenatal clinic?

Thanks in advance
    dating scan at when u think 7 weeks is , this is most common as they should be a heartbeat at 7 weeks and they can dates accurate to a day or two usually. They can also rule out ectopic. The gp can organise or ob can do. Obs usually do a scan in their rooms, depending on ob they'll see u as early as u know you're pregnant. Take ur preg vitamins, this is most imp early on! If going public, the gp does everything until u see them in second trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies! I was able to see my regular doctor tonight and had a much better experience with him. He went into so much more detail about everything and was genuinely happy for me. Going for my dating ultrasound soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amy90 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (07-04-2016)