+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Depression in pregnant and how it affects you and your child

Is it true that women are more at risk of depression while they are pregnant, and during the weeks and months after having a baby? Can it be treated? What are the signs and how do you deal with anxiety and stress?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure what the signs are but if you think you may be experiencing it I'd start by talking to your GP or nurse you see with baby. If you're pregnant I'm sure the midwives will speak to you about it if you're not sure, just make sure you ask them Otherwise friends & family might be able to help & be good to speak to as well. I think the main thing is if you experience it, make sure you do speak to someone & don't try & cope with it on your own. There are so many people around that will be happy to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can definitely put some people more at risk. Signs and symptoms can vary from person to person. If you check the link below, it will give you information on it. Beyond blue is an amazing resource. It can absolutely be treated. Treatment options will depend on your symptoms and their severity.
    In relation to anxiety/stress, there are a few techniques I use that seem to work for me (they all need practice and it's harder to remember to do it when your anxiety is building):
    -worst case, best case and most likely - you tend to go straight for worst case results. Ask what the best case outcome is. And then figure out what the most likely is.
    -Another is mindfulness. Keep yourself in the moment. Try and pick 3 things you can notice with each of your senses.
    -Start a gratitude journal. Write three things you're grateful for just before you go to bed each night. On bad days it might be your cup of coffee, a pretty flower in your garden and the fact that you're about to go to bed.
    -Guided visualisations - you can get apps if you don't think you can do it yourself. A good one is called Breathe.
    -A friend of mine sings or dances because it regulates her breathing. Turn up the radio and go to town.
    -I like to bake or read, so that is good for me. It helps me focus on something else.

I've given very brief explanations. If you'd like more info on any, please let me know.

Link for beyond blue:
    https://www.beyondblue.org.au/who-do...rly-parenthood

I have PND, and happy to answer any questions. It now manifests mainly through the anxiety symptoms. I know some people who suffered terribly with anxiety while they were pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rocky is right. Chat to your GP, or your midwives. And build your support network - friends, family, your partner, treatment providers. People really do just want to help.