+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborns and sick toddlers

Hey guys. To those of you who've had a newborn and toddler in the house, how did you stop your newborn from getting sick? DS1 is 3yo and at daycare. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and he's up to his second cough/cold/croup thing this month.

I remember with him being so careful to keep his little newborn self away from diseased people but what do you do when the diseased person is your own toddler please?

I realise breastfeeding can help but due to surgery I have low supply so that may not even be possible (try as I may).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You try. But sometimes the baby gets sick.

Dd2 was hospitalized and in icu at 5wks old because of bronchiolitis. She got 3X cold strains at once.

All you can do is wash hands often, get toddler to only kiss baby on feet, possibly keep toddler at home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You can't, unfortunately.
    Dd1 had just 2 colds by age 2.
    She recently started daycare so now is always snotty. As a consequence Dd2 has had constant colds and coughs and is almost 5 months. Dd1 shoves her snotty germy hands and blankies and toys all over her.
    I just tell myself she is building up a great immune system.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was worried that this might be the answer. Newborns are just do tiny, I don't even know how their little respiratory systems deal with a common cold! Not to mention the HFM and whooping cough that seem to be going around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We were unbelievably lucky with DD. She was born in the middle of winter and DS was coming and going from daycare too but she didn't get even a sniffle. She recently got a cold and had a terrible virus but she was 7/8 months. It was just luck but we still made sure DS covered his mouth when coughing, lots of hand washing and hand sanitiser. As she got older I was less worried.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Last edited by yadot; 15-05-2016 at 18:57.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 (4) had a nasty chest cold when we brought DS2 home. He was coughing everywhere and I have never felt so over protective in my life, lol. Was stressed out constantly every time I heard him cough.

I just had him wash his hands more often than normal (after each cough etc) and forbid him to kiss or cuddle the baby until his cough subsided. It wasn't fun, I felt mean, but did what I could to keep germs at bay. I did however find that the moment I took my eyes off him he went and fetched his snot-ridden smelly comforter and placed it over DS2's head. I nearly died!! Brotherly love...

As others have said you can't really do much about it. If you can manage to BF that is the best thing you can do. Failing that, get some newborn probiotics mix into your formula, it can't hurt for a bit of extra immunity/gut health.

Congrats on getting to 36 weeks btw. I know it's been a tough journey for you xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I was worried that this might be the answer. Newborns are just do tiny, I don't even know how their little respiratory systems deal with a common cold! Not to mention the HFM and whooping cough that seem to be going around
    Depends how much you are worried. If it truly worries you then keep your toddler at home from CC.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (10-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks guys. It's good to hear they can handle it, although Rose, that must have been so scary for you! There's not much point keeping DS1 home from cc. He seems to pick up almost as much from the park.
    @sunnygirl79, I have made it to 36 weeks. Still scared out of my mind that something will go wrong again though 4 weeks seems like a million years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was awful. For our 3rd bub I enforced the no kissing or cuddling policy on bub. NOBODY but me could kiss her face. I gave everyone her feet to kiss. Or bum. Most people preferred feet.