+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    I was made redundant in November and I wasn't due back until March this year! What makes me mad is that i know they've hired a number of new people to do my exact old position. In my case I truly believe that my old manager saw it as an opportunity to get rid of me and no one questioned her. I thought she was incompetent and I had proven this on a number of occasions - to her I was a threat so she got rid of me.

I had my fair trading forms all filled out to dispute whether it was a genuine redundancy but I thought about it and figured that I didn't want to go through the stress and heartache. I decided to just move on with my life. It was difficult to adjust and to gain my confidence back.

I'm back to work full-time and I'll admit that it's a struggle and I'm not thoroughly enjoying it. I often have guilt about being away from my son but i guess that's just life. Things don't always go to plan. I'm just trying to make the best out of a situation which wasn't part of the plan. I think that's the best that you can do.

It's such a crap thing to go through and it is absolutely appalling that so many of us mums end up experiencing this situation.
    Hi @MrsKLM

I'm so sorry you've gone through it too. It should definitely be illegal to do this on mat leave. The stress I've had throughout the last 9mths has really tainted what was meant to be a year focusing just on my DD. Instead my anxiety has gone through the roof, I feel pushed out and kicked out and totally dumped like nobody cares. It was also my identity for the last 4 years so now i have no idea who I am. I couldn't sleep last night and woke up in tears. I can't believe 4 years hard work has culminated into a cheque and a kick in the teeth. 😞

I also agree with you. It's not worth fighting. Sectors are small and people talk. It does mean your left with all this anger tho and nobody to direct it at..

Did it take you long to find your job? Could you not find P/T?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hi @MrsKLM

I'm so sorry you've gone through it too. It should definitely be illegal to do this on mat leave. The stress I've had throughout the last 9mths has really tainted what was meant to be a year focusing just on my DD. Instead my anxiety has gone through the roof, I feel pushed out and kicked out and totally dumped like nobody cares. It was also my identity for the last 4 years so now i have no idea who I am. I couldn't sleep last night and woke up in tears. I can't believe 4 years hard work has culminated into a cheque and a kick in the teeth. 😞

I also agree with you. It's not worth fighting. Sectors are small and people talk. It does mean your left with all this anger tho and nobody to direct it at..

Did it take you long to find your job? Could you not find P/T?
    I felt the exact same way. I was depressed and deflated and I just withdrew from everything and everyone. I even started to resent my little one - those horrible thoughts were entering my mind - if I didn't leave work to have a baby then I would be being made redundant right now. I used to cry in the shower so my husband couldn't see - because he couldn't understand how I was feeling or how scared and anxious I was at the prospect of having to look for a new job.

I'm in the commercial property sector so it's very competitive. I think it's yet to catch up in terms of offering flexible working for mums. A lot of the support staff are able to do work share or return to work part time but I think my role would be hard to do part time or to share with someone else. If I were to go back to work part time id have to go into more of a support role and take a big pay cut. I just don't think we could do that without it hugely impacting our life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This happened to me too. I was made redundant just before I was due back and to top it off, they refused to pay the second half of my maternity leave pay (which is held as a return to work incentive). I was ready to fight but decided against it. I was glad to have a payout to fund an extra 6 months off and was ready to leave that company.

I'm currently looking for work and yes, it's really hard to find a part time job that pays well and isn't junior! Im applying for part time and full time roles. For the full time ones, I either state my desire to work 4 days up front, inform the recruiter (most jobs in my field and at my level are trough recruiters), or will discuss it during the interview stage.

It's tough, and my confidence is definitely suffering at the moment. If I don't find something soon I'll have to try to get some temping work or pretty much anything I can get.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Made redundant on maternity leave

Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Yes. Been working with a union rep since Nov.. Sucks but it's legal. If no other role is available they can't make one.
    I would seek alternate advice from a legal representative outside your union.
    You could seek relief under unfair dismissal laws, general protections laws, under the FWAct, or alleged discrimination contrary to the relevant Commonwealth, state or territory discrimination law, for example, the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 [Cth].

Look up other information under www.workplaceinfo.com.au to ensure your company has followed protocols related to company policies and legislative acts.

It really is a case of discrimination.

It upsets and angers me that I'm reading this has happened to other women too. Regardless of the industry you work in there should be no recourse on an individual for standing up for their rights and those of all women.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleK For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleK View Post
    I would seek alternate advice from a legal representative outside your union.
    You could seek relief under unfair dismissal laws, general protections laws, under the FWAct, or alleged discrimination contrary to the relevant Commonwealth, state or territory discrimination law, for example, the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 [Cth].

Look up other information under www.workplaceinfo.com.au to ensure your company has followed protocols related to company policies and legislative acts.

It really is a case of discrimination.

It upsets and angers me that I'm reading this has happened to other women too. Regardless of the industry you work in there should be no recourse on an individual for standing up for their rights and those of all women.
    Thank you. I am however worn out and beaten. I need to move on. My sector is tiny. Everyone knows everyone.

The irony is i worked in an org that was 95% female staff. Go figure!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello. New to forum, but in my research into my own workplace issues I have observed this section in the Fair Work Act,

84 Return to work guarantee

On ending unpaid parental leave, an employee is entitled to return to:

(a) the employee’s pre‑parental leave position; or
    (b) if that position no longer exists—an available position for which the employee is qualified and suited nearest in status and pay to the pre‑parental leave position.

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/...09114/s84.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhiggins View Post
    Hello. New to forum, but in my research into my own workplace issues I have observed this section in the Fair Work Act,

84 Return to work guarantee

On ending unpaid parental leave, an employee is entitled to return to:

(a) the employee’s pre‑parental leave position; or
    (b) if that position no longer exists—an available position for which the employee is qualified and suited nearest in status and pay to the pre‑parental leave position.

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/...09114/s84.html
    Hi and thanks for commenting.. If there is no suitable position tho they there is no option but to make me redundant. We only had 25 employees..

Onwards and upwards.. The wound is healing.