+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Made redundant on maternity leave

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKLM View Post
    Big big big hugs! This happened to me in November. 7 months into my maternity leave and I was made redundant. I too didn't see eye to eye with my boss but I enjoyed my job and loved the team. Not to mention the pay was great!

I was fortunate enough to find a job a few weeks after being made redundant. And whilst that meant I had to return to the workforce a little earlier than expected, I'm grateful for the extra money we've been able to save away.

For me, it was a huge blow. I was depressed for a while and worried that no one would want to hire a new mum. I still feel bitter towards my old boss and the whole situation still angers me (seriously - what heartless person does that to a new mum?!?!) BUT I've moved on and I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.

You will get through this. And it can be a tough blow to the ego but you will come out the other end.

Thinking of you 😘
    Thank you!!! I needed to read that! Sorry it happened to you and congrats on the new role! Did you go back part time?
    I actually found out my role had gone 4mths into mat leave ( horrendous news at the time ) and they've kept me on the books all this time to drop me anyway. I've had a look and part time for what I do is basically impossible to find. I don't want to retrain as I liked it but also can't face full time..
    Is this a common issue mums face when entering the workforce again? No disrespect to admin staff but all I can see is admin or entry level roles. 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to me as well. I had a strong feeling it would happen considering the proposed new org structure before I went on leave didn't include my position or a new one for me!

They still strung me along until I was due to go back to work.

The first year of my DS life was a bad year all round and thankfully we were in a position that I didn't need to find anything straight away. I've been lucky and have got a contract position at the moment, so hopefully I can continue to pick other contracts up.

Whilst I did not enjoy the place I worked for I enjoyed working so it was very hard mentally not having a job.

Hope you manage to find something when you are ready and I agree look for full time work and try and negotiate after that...good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Made redundant on maternity leave

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsandsiamonds View Post
    This happened to me as well. I had a strong feeling it would happen considering the proposed new org structure before I went on leave didn't include my position or a new one for me!

They still strung me along until I was due to go back to work.

The first year of my DS life was a bad year all round and thankfully we were in a position that I didn't need to find anything straight away. I've been lucky and have got a contract position at the moment, so hopefully I can continue to pick other contracts up.

Whilst I did not enjoy the place I worked for I enjoyed working so it was very hard mentally not having a job.

Hope you manage to find something when you are ready and I agree look for full time work and try and negotiate after that...good luck.
    Thank you for your reply and sorry it's happened to you too. It really knocks your confidence.

I've taken the advice and have just found a full time job worth applying for tomorrow. I now have to get my head round being away from DD all week 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Is this a common issue mums face when entering the workforce again? No disrespect to admin staff but all I can see is admin or entry level roles. 😕
    In my experience, yes it is! It is near impossible to find a part time senior or middle management role. I've gone back part time after both my kids and whilst it's great I had the option to be part time, my career is now at a standstill and I've been overlooked for a number of promotions ever since.

I might find out I become redundant in August. But being in a huge Semi-public organisation my redundancy won't kick in until May 2017. So I know finding part time work in my current field or desired field won't be easy, though I'll have time up my sleeve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    In my experience, yes it is! It is near impossible to find a part time senior or middle management role. I've gone back part time after both my kids and whilst it's great I had the option to be part time, my career is now at a standstill and I've been overlooked for a number of promotions ever since.

I might find out I become redundant in August. But being in a huge Semi-public organisation my redundancy won't kick in until May 2017. So I know finding part time work in my current field or desired field won't be easy, though I'll have time up my sleeve.
    Oh dear.. This is terrible! A mother is an expert in organisational skills and time management. Add in their previous skills and so many places could save money by hiring part time efficient mums in those middle level roles. It's almost discrimination.

*sigh*... Now what? 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear.. This is terrible! A mother is an expert in organisational skills and time management. Add in their previous skills and so many places could save money by hiring part time efficient mums in those middle level roles. It's almost discrimination.

*sigh*... Now what? 😕
    I think you'll find that it *is* discrimination. Sigh.... When will workers understand that when you are selected for redundancy (however legitimate a restructure might be) because you are on maternity leave, it is unlawful. For gods sake this happens so much... It has happened to so many mums either during or after their return from maternity that it's almost an expectation that your job will change significantly, and usually for the worse, as a result of leaving to have a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds unfair... Would you move?
    No. Not in in short time frame. It will be a big move to the other side of the country and maybe oversea. Dh got a longer job contract here. Easier for one person looking for a job than two.
    We just bought a house and only just started to enjoy the house and the baby. Life is looking good. Then, bam. Kinda kick in the gut when I returned and be told about this. I even volunteer to return 2 months early of my parental leave. And work part time. Effort for nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my understanding you can't be made redundant whilst on leave, only at the point in which you return. The theory is that you can't predict what will be available in the future so whilst your previous role may no longer exist "suitable alternative employment" may exist when you want to return.

With regard to part time, my suggestion is to apply for full time roles, if they really want you, they'll accommodate part time. This is what happened with me back in 2012 m, I've since had another baby, returned again and still work 4 days. and I'm middle management level. You need to back yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TwoAls For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoAls View Post
    From my understanding you can't be made redundant whilst on leave, only at the point in which you return. The theory is that you can't predict what will be available in the future so whilst your previous role may no longer exist "suitable alternative employment" may exist when you want to return.

With regard to part time, my suggestion is to apply for full time roles, if they really want you, they'll accommodate part time. This is what happened with me back in 2012 m, I've since had another baby, returned again and still work 4 days. and I'm middle management level. You need to back yourself.
    People often say this but a lot of the time potential employers see that as being dishonest, a trait they don't want in their employees.

Also 3 days is very different to 4. I think it's far more difficult for an employer to go from having a full time staff member to part time, however organisations really do need to create more part time opportunities for mothers who aren't getting those opportunities when returning from work. They need to embrace more job share arrangements. There should be employers of choice who work hard to make their businesses / organisations highly functional with a lot of part time staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoAls View Post

Thanks for this..so do you think it's ok to apply for a full time role and then at point of offer ask for it to be 4 days instead? Or do you mean work a few months after ask for hours reduction?

in my case I had to know earlier as sorting out daycare would take a few weeks so I emailed my employer asking for a decision either way. I only had 12 weeks of mat leave left to go.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (08-04-2016)