+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Made redundant on maternity leave

Hi,

So as title suggests I've been made redundant 9mths into mat leave. I'm devastated. Loved my organisation and role but as my new boss and I didn't see eye to eye before I left I fear the restructure has also been a way of managing me out.
    All above board so here I am.. Unemployed and feeling sh*t.

The reality is from what I can see is there are NO good part time jobs, especially in my field.

Would love to hear if this has happened to anyone else and how did you pick yourself up? Am I right in that finding decent part time work is hard?

Currently eating a whole packet of biscuits to cheer myself up 😞

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I have nothing but didn't want to read and run. What a $hitful thing to happen. I'm so sorry. Massive hugs and I hope something turns up...

Thanks
    Reviews

So sorry to hear. This has happened to a few people I know now, it's not good.

I ended up looking for work after mat leave and I struggled to get anything part time. I did get full time work though, and through that job I was offered something else and I negotiated part time (4days). I think it's worth looking at full time roles and if you win something seeing if they will negotiate hours.

Something will come along, if you didn't see eye to eye it might be a blessing in disguise anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it legal for them to do that?

While I am not in an exact situation, my organisation decided not to renew my contract after I come back from maternity leave. I have delayed the project while away. I am devoted once I come back but they just assume I want to work part time. Thus not interested in hiring me further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Is it legal for them to do that?

While I am not in an exact situation, my organisation decided not to renew my contract after I come back from maternity leave. I have delayed the project while away. I am devoted once I come back but they just assume I want to work part time. Thus not interested in hiring me further.
    Yes, totally legal.
    I'm sorry it's happened to you too. Is it easy for you to find work in your field?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I have nothing but didn't want to read and run. What a $hitful thing to happen. I'm so sorry. Massive hugs and I hope something turns up...
    Thank you 😘

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    So sorry to hear. This has happened to a few people I know now, it's not good.

I ended up looking for work after mat leave and I struggled to get anything part time. I did get full time work though, and through that job I was offered something else and I negotiated part time (4days). I think it's worth looking at full time roles and if you win something seeing if they will negotiate hours.

Something will come along, if you didn't see eye to eye it might be a blessing in disguise anyway.
    Thanks for your reply. I fear I'll have to end up going full time and then missing my daughter and feeling a bit trapped 😞

Yes my boss was stressful to work for but I could walk to work and I loved the org.. Gutted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. Very difficult. If I am willing to move, maybe I have a better chance to stay in the field. If I have to find a job where I am, I have to leave the field. Very sad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big big big hugs! This happened to me in November. 7 months into my maternity leave and I was made redundant. I too didn't see eye to eye with my boss but I enjoyed my job and loved the team. Not to mention the pay was great!

I was fortunate enough to find a job a few weeks after being made redundant. And whilst that meant I had to return to the workforce a little earlier than expected, I'm grateful for the extra money we've been able to save away.

For me, it was a huge blow. I was depressed for a while and worried that no one would want to hire a new mum. I still feel bitter towards my old boss and the whole situation still angers me (seriously - what heartless person does that to a new mum?!?!) BUT I've moved on and I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.

You will get through this. And it can be a tough blow to the ego but you will come out the other end.

Thinking of you 😘

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsKLM For This Useful Post:

Summer  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Nope. Very difficult. If I am willing to move, maybe I have a better chance to stay in the field. If I have to find a job where I am, I have to leave the field. Very sad.
    That sounds unfair... Would you move?