+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following! I'm due next month and my DD is about to turn 3. Very nervous about the jump from 1-2.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am no expert as DS2 is only 1 month old but here is what has helped us so far (DS1 is 4):

- have plenty of help and support. Grandparents, in-laws, friends. Have them come over and entertain your eldest especially during early evening etc when you'll be busy feeding/settling. Have them take them out to movies/zoo/park etc to give you a break and keep them happy.

- have as many meals premade as possible, the less time you spend (or your DH spends) in the kitchen the more time U have for your older child

- focus on positive behaviour and try to ignore minor 'bad' behaviour if possible. Your eldest is likely to test the boundaries and play up especially during the first week or 2

- have some new books and DVDs for your older child, anything that helps them to self-entertain when you can't possibly deal with them

- unsure how old your child is but talking with them ensuring them you still love them etc also discussing how they feel can be good (if old enough)

- keep daily routine as close as possible to normal, the less change the better

- where possible make time for one-on-one with your eldest. Read them stories, play games, draw pictures etc. give them 100% focussed attention at least once a day.

Best of luck. I struggled with the first week or 2 but it improved quickly. A period of adjustment is normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All good tips. One thing I've found is try to remain flexible as things will change as time goes by. For example for the first few months at night our evening routine consisted of putting toddler to bed first while leaving my baby to cry for a few minutes as the toddler was very good at going straight to sleep no probs and I could then spend longer with baby feeding to sleep etc. Then once we managed to get baby into a better bedtime routine it changed to putting baby to bed first whilst spending more time with toddler in the bath and doing bedtime story etc. It definitely helps to get into a routine but don't be afraid to change things if they don't seem to work at first. It's a trial and error game.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Or this

http://www.babybunting.com.au/veebee-ez-rider.html

I have one, we use it every day! I found mine 2nd hand for $70 so perhaps try gumtree or local selling pages.
    Good idea however wouldn't of worked for me:
    - I liked to walk long distances (toddler wouldn't have stayed on the rider for that long)
    - my toddler was a runner (needed to strap him in)
    - needed for the pram to carry shopping/lots of bags

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (07-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Adjusting to life with 2 children

Congrats!

One hour, one day at a time. In the early days go easy on everyone and everything - mainly yourself. For feeds set up the toddler with jobs, telly, whatever you need to do it comfortably. I did the same with getting DD down for naps, that was DS computer time - do not worry at all about extra screen time.

Every week and month changes and if you start to stress - this too shall pass! DD is 9 months and it is so much easier, every hurdle ends!

I also booked DS into extra daycare every now and then. He loved it and I could spend time just with DD and catching up on sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved my double pram. Even now use it with my almost 4yo and 6mth old if I need to be efficient at the shops. It also acts like a time out area for any tantrums.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good idea however wouldn't of worked for me:
    - I liked to walk long distances (toddler wouldn't have stayed on the rider for that long)
    - my toddler was a runner (needed to strap him in)
    - needed for the pram to carry shopping/lots of bags
    Agree. Pram was best decision for me. And if baby/toddler falls asleep.

Mine are 10 months apart so i made my daughters sleep routine pretty strict before Bub arrived but then my son was sick. The first year or so had been a blur.

They watch too much tv. I co slept with both. Then DH sleeps with DD in one bed to get DD to sleep etc. we do what works for us I sent the kids to childcare for a break! Do it don't be scared.

If u can't be assed cooking dinner order take out (if your tight on money cook rice) that's how I justified the Indian take out and fed the kids baked beans 😝

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Congrats! It's an adjustment, but you'll get there You managed to adjust to one...I found the 0 to 1 adjustment HUGE in comparison.

For me, baby carriers were a life saver for the first few months. No idea how I would have managed a newborn and a nearly-3 year old without them.
    I totally agree 0-1 was a massive shock. 1-2 not at all bad in comparison.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. 0-1 was a big shock. 1-2 very easy. 2-3 a bit harder. But now in discussion for #4. It's always hard for the first few weeks. Then gets easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I found having 2 was much harder than 1 but my first was a dream baby.