+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Adjusting to life with 2 children

I've just had my second child and the reality of the change in our family dynamic is starting to hit me. I'm a bit stressed about how I'm going to manage. For those who have two or more children, hit me with your best tips for adjusting to life with a newborn and a toddler. I'd be so grateful for any advice or suggestions 🙂

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome! Hehe

I have 2 under 2... It's been a huge adjustment. DD is 11 weeks and I feel we are just settling in to a rhythm.

Tips I found very helpful:

Make sure the house is baby proofed for the toddler.

Have a little box of new books, toys, activities for toddler when you are feeding bubs.

Each night, stock nappies, wipes, swaddles, bibs, clothes to have everything on hand and you don't get caught out.

Have some tv shows on hand for toddler.

Pick your battles and prioritise their needs.

Try get out at least once a day.

You'll be ok, it's hard and a blur but lots of fun too, newborns are so easy in comparison to toddlers! I hope this helps. Good luck xx

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-04-2016),SoThisIsLove  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey. Congrats on your bub. Firstly - have low expectations. As in really low. Just focus on bub for the next week. Establish breastfeeding. Recover from your cs. Get hubby to deal with toddler.

Don't make any decisions or think of anything else in that first week of hormones/baby blues.

It's always hard that first few weeks. I've had to fly solo as do worked away. But you get thru it.

One day at a time.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-04-2016),MsViking  (07-04-2016),SoThisIsLove  (07-04-2016),SuperGranny  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Adjusting to life with 2 children

Firstly, congratulations!!!!

Great advice already from pp.

When we went to 2 at first I found it quite overwhelming (though not as much as the first time)- mostly a lot of guilt for the impact on dd1 and just the thought of juggling day to day- keeping both kiddies happy and running the house. Full of hormones and just the shock of a new baby.
    After a few weeks it simply became the new normal- I honestly struggle to remember life with just one! Dd1 cannot remember life before too, she has grown up so fast and adjusted great which is a big relief to me as she was -and still mostly is- my world.

Now 5 months in things are great, mostly. We still have cr@p days but dd1 and dd2 interacting is the best thing in the world to watch. Dd1 will help with dd2 like passing toys and singing whilst I do things such as prep dinner so in that regards I found the newborn phase a bit easier. Your dd1 will be ok, your family will be ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Congrats MM!

My tip: get a good double pram. Strap your bub and toddler in and go for a walk/grab a coffee etc. For me - my double pram helped made my mat leave enjoyable. Helped give me a life outside the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats! It's an adjustment, but you'll get there You managed to adjust to one...I found the 0 to 1 adjustment HUGE in comparison.

For me, baby carriers were a life saver for the first few months. No idea how I would have managed a newborn and a nearly-3 year old without them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    no advice but congrats on the new bub! I wish you a speedy cs recovery. enjoy the special newborn cuddles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Congrats MM!

My tip: get a good double pram. Strap your bub and toddler in and go for a walk/grab a coffee etc. For me - my double pram helped made my mat leave enjoyable. Helped give me a life outside the house.
    Or this

http://www.babybunting.com.au/veebee-ez-rider.html

I have one, we use it every day! I found mine 2nd hand for $70 so perhaps try gumtree or local selling pages.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Hey. Congrats on your bub. Firstly - have low expectations. As in really low. Just focus on bub for the next week. Establish breastfeeding. Recover from your cs. Get hubby to deal with toddler.

Don't make any decisions or think of anything else in that first week of hormones/baby blues.

It's always hard that first few weeks. I've had to fly solo as do worked away. But you get thru it.

One day at a time.
    I second all of this. Go really easy on yourself. Lots of abckids and toast for dinner. 5 hours screen time and an imperfect diet for a few months isn't going to harm your toddler. Do whatever you need to get through. It gets easier, I promise!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I second all of this. Go really easy on yourself. Lots of abckids and toast for dinner. 5 hours screen time and an imperfect diet for a few months isn't going to harm your toddler. Do whatever you need to get through. It gets easier, I promise!
    This describes my life... I got annoyed at abc kids because they changed the shows around and I don't know what time it is anymore 😛

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-04-2016)