+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW advice needed

DD is 6.5 months old and I'm keen to do BLW with her. She's very interested in food and loves gumming on everything we offer her. She seems particularly fond of steak and lamb cutlets, but I'm concerned about her choking if she gums off a chunk of it, which she does nearly every time. What should I do if she does this? Should I pull it out of her mouth or let her spit it out herself? She tends to just hold it in her mouth and then shove something else in on top. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give her a chance to spit or swallow it. Generally they only gum off a size they can swallow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I found that my DD loves food and would literally stuff her face. We found that by initially giving her one thing on her tray at a time stopped the 'shoving more in with a full mouth' thing.
    Gradually the novelty of eating wore off and she slowed down!

I'm a huge BLW Fan. So enjoyable watching them eat and explore all the different textures.

I've always trusted my DD to not put herself at risk and she hasn't let me down yet. She spent a week finding her gag reflex and has been fine since.
    I'd suggest the Gill Rapley book. It's great for understanding how best to start.
    Worth investing in a food catcher too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With DS at that age I would give him a lamb cutlet but would cut off the meat and leave maybe 2cm of meat on the bone so he would gnaw at it and couldn't actually gum off chunks but just little shreds of meat

Flaked steamed salmon is also great at this age as it literally melts in their mouth

By doing BLW exclusively they do learn very quickly to bite and chew and work out pretty quickly if the piece is too big and will spit it out but just make sure you don't go too much too soon and always let her bite an appropriate size piece for her mouth and don't put chunks on her tray

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Give her a chance to spit or swallow it. Generally they only gum off a size they can swallow.
    This is what we do too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've done exclusive BLW. Our baby is one now. She hasn't choked once but there was lots of gagging to begin with. It was good that she learnt the gag reflex and how to control things in her mouth as she was a perennial putting everything in her mouth baby.

As for meat, I use the slow cooker a lot so the meat is really soft. If it wasn't slow cooked I'd cut it up really small.

Enjoy! We are so glad we did it!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds had a very strong gag reflex - so gagged quite a lot. It's best not to remove chunks from their month has they have to learn to chew/swallow somehow...I liked to play it by ear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I'll get myself a copy of that book. I've been giving her strips of steak she can hold and suck, but she has been gumming off decent-sized chunks that I think she could easily choke on. Perhaps I need to put it in a mesh feeder??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Maybe just cut the steak into very thin strips like half a cm or less thick so that is she gets a chunk off it won't be so big for her?

Also maybe try some other soft foods than can get her used to chewing.. Like steamed/boiled pumpkin chunks or broccoli? With the broccoli my DD used to suck off the bushy part and it was cooked well so she didn't get big chunks and it was easy for her as a very first food.

Even bread is very soft and melts easily in their mouths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I'll get myself a copy of that book. I've been giving her strips of steak she can hold and suck, but she has been gumming off decent-sized chunks that I think she could easily choke on. Perhaps I need to put it in a mesh feeder??
    No! That defeats the purpose of BLW, she will be fine, just give her the whole lamb cutlet, she won't be able to bite pieces off but will gum off little bits and suck all the juices out, then in the next month with her practising on veggies and fruits and fish and pasta and eggs and toasts etc she will get very skilled at what she can handle and then start again with the strips of meat or chicken - it takes a month or two to "get it" milk is sill her most important meal, solids are just practice at this age

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-04-2016),mrswhitehouse  (07-04-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2016)